Munchkin's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I let Pebbles out in my bedroom, oh I haveto watch it! Sometimes I'll be walking by thenshe'll come bolting and run through my legs. I think she doesit on purpose! A few times I've had to bail on my bed to keep fromfailing on her! Scared me to death! Now, I almost have to slide my feetacross so she doesn't try to run through them.

I'm sure she's fine. After I get Pepsi out for her gas medicine, she'lllet out this cry sound everytime I open the door. It usually goes awayin a few hours. Just maybe give her a treat so then she associates youwith treats! :)

I don't think you should worry about moving her. Most rabbits are quickto take in their new surroundings, espcially if they are territorialthey're quick to chin everything in site! :)

Hi Blyre,

I need to be nosey and ask you how you became interested in Bunnies. You are so passionate about her.

I love reading your stories. When I first started readingyour post I wasn't sure if you were male or female because you are sopassionate about Bunnies. (Please to all the other men on the forumthis is not a put down to any of you).

My husband is also into Bunnies, it was his idea 8 years ago to get our1st Baby Buttercup, he actually picked him out. I thought hewas nuts when he first asked me if we could get a bunny.

Looking forward to hearing from you and also seeing more pictures of your "Baby".

Soooska:apollo:

I first became interested in bunnies when I wasaround 10 or 11 years old. We were living in Maryland at the time and Ihad an uncle who raised rabbits in his back yard. My sisters and I usedto help out with watering and feeding them and since they were so cute,we didn't mind these "chores."

My first experience with owning bunnies on my own was not good. Infact, I knew absolutely nothing about how to keep them and made prettymuch all the common mistakes that new owners make. That troubled me formany yearsbecause I loved the furry little critters andwanted one to love and care for. But I wasn't comfortable with theresponsibility of caring for an animal that was totally dependent on mefor its basic needs.

As I got older, I started feeling that there was something missing inmy life but I didn't know what it was. One day, I was invited to checkout this message board that was dedicated to rabbits and I startedreading stories from all these people who owned bunnies and how muchjoy these animals had brought into their lives. I was still wary oftrying what with my past track record so I started reading up andpreparing myself for the day when I would have a bunny of my very own.

I take my responsibilities over Munchkin very seriously and try to puther needs before my own. I might be taking her welfare a little tooseriously but her happiness means the world to me.

Her living in my home has made a huge difference and even if shedoesn't like being picked up or put down, prefers to hop around theliving room rather than being held, and is stubborn when I tell her notto do something; I still love the stuffing out of her every chance Iget.

Oh and yes, I am male and am proud that I don't subscribe to thestereotypes that dictate that being male means hiding one's feelingsaway. When I love, I love with all my heart and I set no limits on myability to care.

Blyre

Blyre wrote:
Iam male and am proud that I don't subscribe to the stereotypes thatdictate that being male means hiding one's feelings away.
There's lots of males here who love their bunnieshere....
music_whistling.gif

Rainbows! :D

Iknow that, and I think everyone else does on the forum.

Honestly I wasn't trying to insult any of you WONDERFUL " caring men out there.

I don't have much to report today. I came homefrom work, fed, watered, hayed and then cleaned Munchkin's litter boxafter making a note to not buy litter that was corn cob based again.It's not as absorbent as it advertised and I end up doing a completeclean on the litter box every other day.

Munchkin's being very independent today. I laid down on the carpet andshe would run up to me, give a nudge and a bunny kiss on my nose, andthen run off to frolic and binky. I let her out for about three hoursand at the end of that time, she hopped into her cage, groomed herself,and then proceeded to do a serious bunny flop in her nest box and go tosleep.

Blyre

Hi, did you find that Munchkin eats alot of the litter?

When we first used it our 2 little babies, Wilbur & Jackiereally put on the pounds, they ate more than they used for litter.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi, did you find that Munchkin eats alot of the litter?

When we first used it our 2 little babies, Wilbur & Jackiereally put on the pounds, they ate more than they used for litter.

Yeah, I've noticed that too and once this bag is used up, I'm getting adifferent type that will be more absorbent and hopefully less tasty toMunchkin.

Munchkin is currently grounded for getting behind my computer when Iwasn't looking, pulling down one of my speaker wires and chewing it allthe way through.I really shouldn't try topunish herfor being and doing what she is, but it made me so mad after all thetimes I yelled no and shooed her away from my desk.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm angry at her for chewing up myspeaker wire or at myself for a momentary lapse in attention. Eitherway, I'm not a happy camper tonight

Blyre

Hi, we've gone thru plenty of cords especiallyphone cords. We put the plastic tubing that you use for theshower curtain rods.

It works real well, doesn't look the greatest but I say "if you don'tlike what my house looks like, don't come over" actually youcan hide them behind the furniture.

In our computer room I put a small rug covering most of the cords, thenI have a big flat box against the wall to hide the cords. Itseems to work, Daisy Mae just comes and rests at our feet and doesn'tbother with the cords.

Soooska

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi, we've gone thru plenty of cords especially phonecords. We put the plastic tubing that you use for the showercurtain rods.

It works real well, doesn't look the greatest but I say "if you don'tlike what my house looks like, don't come over" actually youcan hide them behind the furniture.

In our computer room I put a small rug covering most of the cords, thenI have a big flat box against the wall to hide the cords. Itseems to work, Daisy Mae just comes and rests at our feet and doesn'tbother with the cords.

Soooska
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have been watching but I was tryingto make myself some dinner and Munchkin had been really good for thethree hours she was out today.

Now I have to buy a brand new sound system for my computer because Idon't think Creative Labs can replace just the speakers. The speakercable comes out of one plug then splits to go out to each speaker. Ifthe cable is cut, both speakers are essentially gone,

I reattached Munchkin's playpen to her cage for the time being while Ifigure out how to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. I'mrelieved though that she didn't bite into a power cord or somethingelse with a live current running through it.

Blyre

awww it sounds like your heart has been stolen by some bunny:inlove:

It's always a pleasure when you get your first bunny and you get tolearn their attitude and what they like and what they dont likeetc...thats the part i loved so much was getting to know my bunniespersonality,the mischief they get into,then they give you this look asif to say "what"lol.

ican seelittle Munchin is a princess in daddy'seyes :),she is so pretty and it's a wonder why you love her so

cheryl

cheryl13 wrote:
It's always a pleasure when you get your first bunny and you get tolearn their attitude and what they like and what they dont likeetc...thats the part i loved so much was getting to know my bunniespersonality,the mischief they get into,then they give you this look asif to say "what"lol.

Heh, I wouldn't be sure about that. When I found Munchkin during thewire chewing incident she was at the scene of the crime cowering withher ears back. It's like she knew what she was doing. She has plenty oftoys and stuff of her own to chew on. Why would she suddenly decide tocrawl into a place she knows is off limits and do something that I'verepeatedly told her not to do?

Yes, she's my little princess and I love her to death but I'm starting to wonder if electronic fences will work with rabbits. ;)

Blyre

The first step in bunnyproofing my apartment hasbeen completed. I bought a baby gate (two actually because theselection I had was short so I connected them together using cableties) and put it in to keep Munchkin from getting out of the livingroom. I've been keeping a closer eye on her lately to prevent morechewing incidents and she's been better behaved tonight.

Tomorrow she turns 12 weeks old and to celebrate, I bought her a bigbag of craisins and gave her some tonight. Man, was she ever happy!

Blyre

Today is Munchkin's 12 Week Birthday and I'malready getting worried because from my reading this is supposed to bethe start of her ascension into Puberty. This morning she startedbiting and shaking the wires on her cage door, something she has neverdone before. After I checked her food, water, and hay supply, I let herout for some early morning exercise. She was happy hopping around theLiving Room but still shows an obsession for the underside of mycomputer desk. I currently have it blocked off with cardboard boxes butshe still tries to get underneath. Those wires and cables under theremust taste awesome....hehe.

Hey, if I buy her a spool of wiring and give it to her as a treat,would that break her of chewing on the ones connected to my computer? ;)

I had to use my spray bottle filled with water to get her out fromunderneath as she was trying to climb over my feet to get under there.Finally, I just herded her back into her cagefor some downtime to think about why Daddy would possibly say no and shoo her fromgoing under the computer.

I'm seeing the need to get her on a playtime schedule as soon aspossible. She's not being tremendously difficult, but there are timeswhen she's a stubborn little butt...hehe.

I just hope that her Puberty doesn't end up being a source ofcontention for both of us. I'll never get rid of her but on the otherhand, I don't want to have to go all Draconian on her under it's timeto get her spayed.

Blyre

I don't know if Pepsi is just a special case,but she never really showed any of the "teen age" behavoir like beingterritorial and grunting and biting to bite. I've only heard her grunta few times when I was annoying her and she's never been territorial.The teenie age only lastsa month or twoif this isany comfort!

Hmm I'm not sure about the computer thing. Maybe get a big box and seeif she'll want to explore in that instead of under the computer desk?You could also fill it with shredded paper :D.

The best thing for a raging hormonal rabbit is to give it space andpatience :). My friends rabbit turned into a boxing biting mess duringpuberty but was a sweet little thing after!

Spring wrote:
Idon't know if Pepsi is just a special case, but she never really showedany of the "teen age" behavoir like being territorial and grunting andbiting to bite. I've only heard her grunt a few times when I wasannoying her and she's never been territorial. The teenie age onlylastsa month or twoif this is any comfort!

Hmm I'm not sure about the computer thing. Maybe get a big box and seeif she'll want to explore in that instead of under the computer desk?You could also fill it with shredded paper :D.

The best thing for a raging hormonal rabbit is to give it space andpatience :). My friends rabbit turned into a boxing biting mess duringpuberty but was a sweet little thing after!
That's a great idea so I cut some holes in a cardboard box I had lyingaround and filled it with torn up pieces of newspaper. Munchkin hasn'tstarted using it yet but I think she will. I don't know about her butI'm sure getting tired of saying the word "no"....hehe

Blyre

Spring wrote:
You could try to put a craisin in it to tempt her to go init :D then she might realize it's kind of fun in there!

I put a few near the opening but she just ate them before turning around hopping away...hehe.

It's partially my fault. I kept her up until about 5 AM playing so she's been taking a ton of naps all day. :)

She looked so cute laying in there that I snapped some pics of her. Thedate stamp on my camera is off a little so don't pay attention to theMay 5 date on it. I'll post them as soon as I get em ready. :D

Blyre, who loves his little birthday girl

Silly bunny! On Friday nights I usually havePebbles out until 12-1 in the morning but she's a happy camper binkyingaround! Usually 10 mintues before bed time I catch her laying down andtrying not to shut her eyes. It's very cute! :)

Give Munchkin a birthday scratch behind the ears for Pepsi and Pebbles!

:party:

Back