Munchkin's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I'm a friend Of Blyres from Oklahoma, Yeah I know he's up in Penn.

Anyway, I have some bad news about munchkin, and some good news about another Rabbit named Latte.

Blyre called me last night, and unfortuantly, the cone thingie had stuck on this new hutch thingie that Blyre was trying to fix up, and the poor bunny died. According to the vet, He broke his back.

Add to this, that Wally (blyre) has lost his internet for awhile, He's trying to get his car payed off. Anyway, he's adopted a new bunny, from one of the groups up there in Penn.

The thing is, At one time, Latte ( a Harlequin), was once abandoned, and found by a nice family, and Blyre managed to adopt it, But he's having trouble with the rabbit being very defensive. It will give off a sign, It's ears will go back to a point before it leaps.

I'm no expert, but I think this is an instinctual trait, probably brought on from his time spent outdoors. anyway, He was wondering if you all could give him any ideas, on getting the pet past this skittesh stage.

I told him alot of time, and getting the Bunny used to his voice/Presence, But I'm not a Rabbit guy. I mostly raise Boston Terriers for my family.

If you would like, I can also give one of the mods here Blyres home number (cell i think), and he can comferm this story, as I understand how it looks, new guy coming in telling a story like this.

But if anyone can give him some advice, I'd be more then happy to pass it on to Wally tonight.

thank you all.

Stephen

Oh Blyre,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I fell in love with Munchkin the first time I saw her.

She was lucky to have you even if it was for a short time. You showed her alot of love.

Soooska:apollo:

I'm so sorry to hear about Munchkin. I loved reading all about her and while reading through this thread it was very obvious how much you loved her, and I'm sure she knew that as well. :pink iris:

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting. :( Sorry I didn't see this yesterday.

If you don't mind passing messages, we'll certainly try and help out Blyre and Latte. If not, I don't mind making a call or two, and I'm sure others here will also be happy to do so.

Is Latte (male/female?)aggressive just when s/he's in her cage or pretty much all the time?

Can s/he leave the cage on her own without being picked up?

Time will certainly help, but it just may be that s/he's protective of her space, a lot of bunnies are. I'd spend as much time as possible lying on the floor with him/her in a room or a penned off area, and just come up with tiny bits of treats. He should try and spend as much time aspossible with him/her on the floor -- watchTV, read a book, whatevertime he can put in will pay off.

Most rabbits want companionship, and in lieu of another rabbit,humans do just fine. It's the same bonding process, though. S/he's territorial about her space, so best to bond in neutral territory. Or in his territory.

Pass on our condolences re: Munchkin :tears2:and our congrats (and thanks) re: adopting Latte.

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Thanks my new Friends (hey anyfriend of Wally's is a friend of mine) , I'll pass along the Messages to him tonight.

Pipp, thanks for the info. I never thought of the lying down thing. It might be just the thing That will make the rabbit more Comfertable. the sad thing is, He just had knee surgery awhile back, and I don't know how easy it is for him to get up and down, but I'll pass It along to him.

I can see why he likes this place. you are all top notch.

stephen

Please send my condolences to Wally.

Binkie free, Munchkin. :cry3

I'm sure Latte will calm down with time and patience. Like Pipp said, if you are willing to pass messages then we can help that way (and she already gave some of the best advice there is). Or if he wants to talk in person you can pm me for my phone number. I have some experience with neglected rabbits. Sometimes it helps to know that someone else has been through it too.

Ohh this is just terrible,Blyre loved that little girl,i'm so sorry to hear this bad news:(

Goodbye little Munchkin girl,you will be missed:(

cheryl

:sad:Oh no..

I had an awful feeling something bad had happend. Poor Blyre! He did love that little girl. My best wishes to Blyre, and hoping he's enjoying Latte.

So sorry.:cry3

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I talked to Blyre on the phone last night. We actually chatted so much that I forgot to tell him about how everyone here misses him.:blushan But he was going to call me sometime this weekend and let me know how things are going, so I'll tell him then.

Latte sounds beautiful. She's cat-sized and from the sounds of it is siamese sable colored. She was a stray, most likely recently dumped because she is very overweight. But she's in good hands and will probably be fit and trim in no time. She's very shy right now because she was a stray and nobody knows how she was treated by people before. We talked about how to make her feel more safe in and out of the cage and around him.

Blyre's vet called him to tell him about Latte not long after Munchkin passed. I don't think Latte could have found a better home!

Hi Guys,

I know it's been a while and I have a ton of catching up to do so here goes:

Munckin's passing was a blow for me as she died in my arms. The best Icould determine, the e-collar that the Vet had her wear harrassed herto the point where she began panicking in her cage. Unfortunately, whenI attempted to pick her up to calm her she struggled and managed tobreak her back. I really miss her.

Latte had trouble almost from Day One and was prone to bouts offearfulness that culminated in her starving herself. I was not fullyprepared for such a stressed animal and ended up finding her hunched upin her cage with full food and water available.

I am on Bunny #3 now, her name is Speedy and she is a mixed black andwhite dwarf with a lively disposition and a fondness toward being heldand petted (when I can get her in my arms that is...hehe). Loves beingheld, doesn't love being picked up or put down. She's been with mesince the middle of July and I hope to have photos and a blog startedon her very soon.

I really appreciate all the well wishes that you all expressed in myabsence. It's been a trying time but I can still see the rainbow at theedge of the storm.

All my Love,

Blyre

Blyre, it's so nice to have you back.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your two bunnies, butvery happy to hear that you now have a new addition to yourfamily. Speedy sounds like a real doll.

Looking forward to pictures of your little one.

Soooska:apollo:

Good to see you back, Blyre, especially with a new Bunny.

You really had a rough summer, what with Munchkin and then Latte -losing two so close together must have been so awful. Hopefully, Speedywill help to heal the pain. Looking forward to reading and seeing allabout her :)

Jan

Hi Wally! I'm so glad to see you back!

I'm really sorry about Latte. She must have beentoo traumatized from her past. I know you were doingeverything you could for her. :hug2:

I can't wait to see Speedy though. Hurry up with that blog!:D

I suppose that this should be my last entry forMunchkin (and Latte's) Stories. I loved those two buns very much and Iwill always miss them. But, I have a new blog now (Speedy and Smokey)and I'll be concentrating on keeping that one updated with newinformation.

I want to close this out by saying that I want to leave this blog as amemorial to my first two buns and all the love I gave them. :)

Blyre

Latest posts

Back