Munchkin's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is officially one week since I firstbrought Munchkin home. Today is also the first day that I ever heardher sneeze and it caused mesome worry after all the reading Ihad been doing around here on rabbit respiratory problems. Beingconcerned, I got her out of her cage and checked the condition of hernose. Everything seemed fine and of course, she nipped me. I guess ifsomeone was playing around my nose area without permission I'd be alittle ticked off too....hehe. Suffice it to say that I told her no andput her back in her cage and that was that.

She has another issue that is beginning to concern me. When I am layingor sitting by the cage, she will come out and play, eat, whatever. Butwhen I leave her sight area, she goes into her nest box and staysthere. I'm pretty sure that I'm starting to worry over nothing, but hasanyone else run across this sort of thing?

Also, her plastic hay bin that wasn't a weekold broke today.The little plastic clips that attach it to the cage wires broketherefore making it useless and I had to throw it away. I suppose I'llmove up to one of the metal ones now that simply hang on the inside ofthe cage. In the meantime, I'm giving my baby her hay in a plastic bowlthat I hadn't had much use for anyway.

Blyre

Could the hay rack be fixed with zip ties (cable ties)? I can't live without them!

The sneezing could just be dust or allergies. Just keep an eye on her.

I managed to reattach the hay bin but I'm goingto reinforce with that zip tie idea of yours, Laura. Thanks forsuggesting it. :)

She doesn't sneeze a lot so it might just be dust. I try to keep herarea of the Living Room as clean as possible, but it's hard to keep ontop of it all the time.

Blyre

Today I installed Munchkin's rabbit run, Version1. I went over to Lowe's and bought 10' of wire clothmaterial and some zip ties. Basically I unrolled the wire cloth andattached it to the cage.

Munchkin spent all her time in the run trying to get near me. I fed hera few craisins and gave her many words of reassurance but I can tellshe's not happy with her smaller play area.

I expect at least one escape attempt soon....

Blyre

Today is shaping up to be a relativelyuneventful day. Munchkin is getting more and more used to her rabbitrun and I am getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. Her hay binbroke off again but this time I used zip ties to reattach it and itseems to be working well with the added bonus of preventing her fromdumping all her hay out onto the floor from rearing up and digging atthe hay.

I moved her cage over to a place where she can get more sun and I canget more light to take pictures of her. She looks so cute hoppingaround and I really have to fight the urge to pick her up for a cuddle.She's been skittish lately and jumping at sounds. Hopefully, once shefeels more secure in her environment, that will subside.

I wish I knew what her grown up size was going to be. She's not a big bunny but she's no teacup tipper either.

Blyre

LuvaBun wrote:
Blyre wrote:
She's not a big bunny but she's noteacup tipper either.
LOL! What a great expression. Glad to hear she is settling in to herrun - she'll probably be doing a spot of sunbathing while you're atwork :D

Jan
I just want her to feel safe and comfortable in her home. Her training will be long and difficult on her otherwise.

I went back to work today and Munchkin spent her first real day byherself. I fed and watered her ( and put out her toys) before I left soshe had everything she needed to get through the day. I shouldn't havedone it but I took pity on her and took her out of her playpen to runaround the Living Room. I could tell she liked it because she perked upalmost immediately and started running and hopping all over the placefor a solid hour. Finally I herded her into her carrier and lifted herback into the playpen.

She was such a good girl. :)

Blyre

Munchkin is sulking in her nestbox again since Irefused to take her out and let her run around the Living Room. She'lltake treats without a problem but once I stop giving them, she will runback into her cage. I'm starting to think that there is something I'mdoing wrong.

Once I pick her up, she will settle against me and be still until it'stime to put her down. I know she likes being petted but once I put herdown, she runs into the cage and no amount of urging short of going inthe cage after her will get her to come out. I don't want toreach into the cage because I feel that it's an invasion of her spaceand it may be adding to her skittishness.

Should I leave her be to come out at her own time and choosing orshould I continue to pick her up unbidden so she is continually used tobe handled? I realize that it's a tricky decision to make so I welcomeany advice that you all can offer.

I hate feeling like I'm forcing my attentions on her.

Blyre

A very quiet morning around here. Munchkin'sbeen fed, watered, and is now munching happily on her hay. I took herout earlier for a cuddle and as we sat in my recliner, I startedpetting her. After a few minutes, she started licking my face andclicking her teeth in a bunny purr. It was so cute.

I've learned so far that she definitely doesn't like to be picked upand then once held, doesn't like to be put down. She's also shy aboutcoming out of her cage in the rabbit run unless I shake the treat bag.She knows that sound. If I shake her bag of craisins or hay, she comesbarrelling out of her cage and goes into full Beg Mode. Heh, thatalways brings a smile to my face.

I think I've been misinterpreting her hiding in the nest box assulking. Truth be told, I really don't know why she likes to spend somuch time in it other than its dark and she feels safe in it. I watchedher do a flop in it earlier and I had an awwmoment.

Next week I'm picking up a portable spot light so I can get more lightfor pictures as well as some new treats to give to her. Can anyone giveme some suggestions for healthy treats that I can offer her that won'tpile on the pounds later or spoil her too much from her regular food?

Blyre

I enjoyed reading munchkin's little story! Yousound like a great bunny parent! Most rabbits hate to be picked up soit's nothing your doing wrong. I think she loves you with all thelicking and purring! Sounds like she's really settled in!

Do you know how old she is? You could give hera bit of appleas a treat (if she's old enough to handle fruits)or a tsp ofold fashioned oats.

Spring wrote:
Ienjoyed reading munchkin's little story! You sound like a great bunnyparent! Most rabbits hate to be picked up so it's nothing your doingwrong. I think she loves you with all the licking and purring! Soundslike she's really settled in!

Do you know how old she is? You could give hera bit of appleas a treat (if she's old enough to handle fruits)or a tsp ofold fashioned oats.

She is just over 11 weeks old but appears to be growing like a weed. Idon't know what ages are appropriate to introduce fruits and vegetablesbut when I go grocery shopping next week, I'll look into getting hersome fruit and veggies. I was thinking about trying out fresh parsleyand/or romaine lettuce for her.

Come to think of it, Daddy could use some fruits and veggies in HIS diet as well....heh.

Thanks for reading. Munchkin has made a big difference in my life since coming into it.

Blyre

I would wait a little longer to startintroducing vegetables and fruit because at 11weeks their digestionsystem is a little too tender. Maybeat at 16 weeks?

Isn't it amazing? I still don't know how a little 2.4 pound creaturecould change my life so much. I realized I need her more then she needsme after her little gas scare! Rabbits are truely angels sent to earth:).

Hi, I just bought Critter Carrots made by Oxbow. They look like big pieces of pellets.

So far three of our fourlove them, Jackie the Fuss Bucket putit in her mouth then threw it out. She'll be sorry onceWilbur goes and takes it away from her and eats it.

Soooska :apollo:

Spring wrote:
Iwould wait a little longer to start introducing vegetables and fruitbecause at 11weeks their digestion system is a little too tender.Maybeat at 16 weeks?

Isn't it amazing? I still don't know how a little 2.4 pound creaturecould change my life so much. I realized I need her more then she needsme after her little gas scare! Rabbits are truely angels sent to earth:).

That sounds like a prudent suggestion and I'll wait until she's at 16weeks. Rabbits are truly amazing creatures. I think that theyexist to remind us how to love unconditionally.

Blyre

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi, I just bought Critter Carrots made by Oxbow.They look like big pieces of pellets.

So far three of our fourlove them, Jackie the Fuss Bucket putit in her mouth then threw it out. She'll be sorry onceWilbur goes and takes it away from her and eats it.

Soooska :apollo:

I think I've seen those in the local pet stores. I'll check them out. Thanks for suggesting it. :)

Blyre

There's also hay cubes. They come in alfalfa ortimothy, although I've found the alfalfa is about 4$ cheaper.. odd. Mylittle lionhead loves these pellet looking things sort of like haycubes but just a bit bigger then pellets made of timothy hay. They'recalled Tid bits I think.

Stay away from commercial treats that just don't like right. I wouldavoid yogurt drops as I haven't heard the greatest things about them.Stay away from anything with too many grains, nuts, carbohydrates, ect.If it doesn't seem natural, then probably isn't the best for thebunnies! :). You can get these papaya enzyime tablets too and my rabbitused to love them and they help with if they are moulting to help passthe hair and any blockages so they have some health benifiets too :)

Spring wrote:
There's also hay cubes. They come in alfalfa or timothy,although I've found the alfalfa is about 4$ cheaper.. odd. My littlelionhead loves these pellet looking things sort of like hay cubes butjust a bit bigger then pellets made of timothy hay. They're called Tidbits I think.

Stay away from commercial treats that just don't like right. I wouldavoid yogurt drops as I haven't heard the greatest things about them.Stay away from anything with too many grains, nuts, carbohydrates, ect.If it doesn't seem natural, then probably isn't the best for thebunnies! :). You can get these papaya enzyime tablets too and my rabbitused to love them and they help with if they are moulting to help passthe hair and any blockages so they have some health benifiets too :)

Yeah, any hay product she gets needs to be Timothy as that's what she eats now anyway.

Papaya tablets? How are they dispensed?

I keep a very close watch on what goes into Munchkin so as you canimagine, she doesn't get many treats unless I'm sure that there won'tbe any ill effects.

Blyre

Hi Blyre,

I use human Papaya Enzyme tablets. They were recomended by our vet who is very Rabbit savy.

I get them at Walmart or at the Bulk Barn, they are actually cheaper there.

Our Bunnies get 2 - 3 a day depending on if they areshedding. They go crazy for them, as soon as you shake thebottle they know it's "VITAMEENEE" TIME (thats what we call them andthat's what the "Babies" know them as.) Are we losingitor what,:apollo: special talk for our Babies.

Sooska

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi Blyre,

I use human Papaya Enzyme tablets. They were recomended by our vet who is very Rabbit savy.

I get them at Walmart or at the Bulk Barn, they are actually cheaper there.

Our Bunnies get 2 - 3 a day depending on if they areshedding. They go crazy for them, as soon as you shake thebottle they know it's "VITAMEENEE" TIME (thats what we call them andthat's what the "Babies" know them as.) Are we losingitor what,:apollo: special talk for our Babies.

Sooska

So, they would be near the Pharmacy, right? I frequently usebaby talk with Munchkin. Small wonder why she looks at me like I'm anidiot some days...hehe.

Blyre

Latest posts

Back