Munchkin's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, yes in the pharmacy department

Susan

Thanks for the suggestions, Everyone. I really appreciate it. :)

Tonight, I had Munchkin out for her pre-bedtime cuddle and she actuallyfell asleep while I was holding her. She was sitting on my chest whileI was petting her and put her chin down on my left arm. Next thing Iknow, her eyes are closed and I felt her breathing slow down ever somuch. It was probably one of the cutest things she's ever done with meholding her.

What made this even funnier was when she woke up, she shook her headand I watched her put on her discontented face. It was like she had amoment of bliss but had to act like she didn't enjoy it before anyonenoticed....hehehe.

Blyre

Hi Blyre! That's so sweet how Munchkin falls asleep on you. :inlove:

I was just catching up on your posts (I like your blog but I've beenbusy;)) and I noticed you were asking about Munchkin coming out of hercage. Some bunnies are shy and take a little time to learn tocome out. I usually let them learn at their own pace,although I do use treats and put out toys for them. What doyou do when you let her out? Do you lay down on the floor, ordo you go sit on a chair? My bunnies absolutely love it whenI or my hubby lie down on the floor. Suddenly we're the sameheight as they are, and they pop on over to check us out and oftenclimb all over us. This is how we started taming Fey andSprite. They also liked it when we would sit on the floorreading the newspaper or a book and we pretended to ignorethem. They felt safe because they thought they were ignored,and came over to check out the newspaper and nibble it a bit.

Also, do you have any boxes for her to hide in outside of hercage? Maybe she'd feel more comfortable out there if she hadsomewhere to hide.

For the papaya tablets, I used to to use a kindin the bottle for humans. I got it at a health food store. Then, theygot a bit expensive for me so I only get them when she is shedding.

I love those special bunny moments. When Pepsi was a little baby and Iwould be laying on the couch and she'd hop from my lap to my shoulderand nestle in the dip between my shoulder and neck and put her headunder my chin and almsot fall asleep. Then, yesterday I had her out forher little tummy rub (my poor baby has gas :() and she crawled up on myshoulder and layed across my shoulders like she did when she was ababy. Sorry, just thought I'd share one of my favourite moments with mybunny :)

Have you tried cardbaord rolls with hay stuffed in them as a toy? My bunny loves them!

naturestee wrote:
Hi Blyre! That's so sweet how Munchkin fallsasleep on you. :inlove:

I was just catching up on your posts (I like your blog but I've beenbusy;)) and I noticed you were asking about Munchkin coming out of hercage. Some bunnies are shy and take a little time to learn tocome out. I usually let them learn at their own pace,although I do use treats and put out toys for them. What doyou do when you let her out? Do you lay down on the floor, ordo you go sit on a chair? My bunnies absolutely love it whenI or my hubby lie down on the floor. Suddenly we're the sameheight as they are, and they pop on over to check us out and oftenclimb all over us. This is how we started taming Fey andSprite. They also liked it when we would sit on the floorreading the newspaper or a book and we pretended to ignorethem. They felt safe because they thought they were ignored,and came over to check out the newspaper and nibble it a bit.

Also, do you have any boxes for her to hide in outside of hercage? Maybe she'd feel more comfortable out there if she hadsomewhere to hide.

I did have an attached playpen to her cage but while it was up shehardly came out in it preferring to stay in her nestbox. As anexperiment, I took the playpen down and used it to block off thecomputer. Once she saw that the playpen was gone, she immediatelyhopped out of her cage and went full bore around the living room. I'mat a loss to explain it except that maybe she felt that the playpen wasa barrier that kept her from being around me, as unfortunately (andinintentionally)conceited as that might sound.

I try to lie down on the carpet so she can come around me but it's notalways easy for me to get down to her level because of recent kneesurgery that I'm still recovering from. I have noticed that she doestend to interact more with me while I am lying prone on the floor. If Isit in a chair, she tends to keep a respectful distance. I do have someempty cardboard boxes that I have set aside for an upcoming move that Icould put around for her to play with in the meantime.

A funny thing happened tonight. She was hopping around and suddenlyraced across the carpeting near me. Unfortunately, she didn't put herbrakes on in time when she touched the hardwood floor and slid rightinto a nearby wall. She wasn't hurt, but I swear she looked ratherembarrassed. I was trying not to chuckle as I checked her over for anypotential injuries and gave her some petting for her feelings.

Blyre

Spring wrote:
For the papaya tablets, I used to to use a kind in thebottle for humans. I got it at a health food store. Then, they got abit expensive for me so I only get them when she is shedding.

I love those special bunny moments. When Pepsi was a little baby and Iwould be laying on the couch and she'd hop from my lap to my shoulderand nestle in the dip between my shoulder and neck and put her headunder my chin and almsot fall asleep. Then, yesterday I had her out forher little tummy rub (my poor baby has gas :() and she crawled up on myshoulder and layed across my shoulders like she did when she was ababy. Sorry, just thought I'd share one of my favourite moments with mybunny :)

Have you tried cardbaord rolls with hay stuffed in them as a toy? My bunny loves them!

Munchkin will lay across my chest when I'm petting her but her favoriteposition most times appears to be when she turns to face away from meas I'm petting her so I'm faced with a bunny butt. Hmm, Iwonder if she's trying to tell me something...hehe. Generally, I justgently turn her around to face me while I'm petting her head.

I've done the cardboard rolls stuffed with hay but she usually pulls the hay out and then ignores the roll....heh

I'll try the papaya tablets though. Why not? Nothing's too good for my little baby. :)

Blyre

Silly little girl! It could be true that she feels that the pen was a blocking between getting to you.

When I lie down on my floor when my lionhead Pebble is out she'll racearound me and jump over my legs. Sometimes she'll jsut stop an almostbalance on my ankle part while she happily digs her nails into my leg..(OUCH!).

Pepsi usually takes the hay out then throws the roll around and sometimes shreds it but it keeps her busy!

They're are some papaya tablets that are made for bunnies, not surewhere you, n your area could get them. I'm pretty sure oxbow makes apapaya/pineapple one.

It sounds like Munchkin is a very spoiled little princess! :D

Yep, she's a spoiled little bun and she knowsit. I managed to get a few shots of her when she stopped to grab a napin one of her new living room hiding boxes. :)

Blyre

I really like this one. I managed to snap a few of her in her pet carrier. Heh, it kinda looks like she's gone camping. :)

This is one of my new favorites.

Blyre

Spring wrote:
:jumpforjoy:Yay! Pictures! She is so adorable andsweet :D! I'd be cuddling her and baby talking her as soon as I saw her;)

Oh, I do, believe me. She's my little boo-ber snap...hehe.

She's in her cage at the moment snoozing in her litter box. I thinkshe's finally figured out that Daddy won't come in the cage after her ;)

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I think she's getting some size to her. Imean look at her ears. My goodness but they have some length to them.I'm not complaining because if she ends up needing a larger cage thenDaddy will work extra to make it happen.

Blyre

Her ears seem fairly large, do you know what breed she is?

Maybe post her picture in the Rabbitry, there are lots of people who know their rabbit breeds who could probably tell you.

You could always make your own cage if she does grow a bit big :).There are also the possibility of making these very cool looking cagescalled NIC cages. Take a look, very awesome looking cages you can makefairly cheap! :)

http://members.aol.com/bunrabtoo/neatcubs.html

Also this site has a ton of rabbit information and a pile of good websites on the NIC cages

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nic.html

That way, you don't have to break the bank for little, or big Munchkin :)

Sounds like she's really enjoying you :). You picked a keeper! :)

I was told at the pet store that she is aDwarf/Mini-Lop mix. However, I am given to understand that many petstores have a tendency to call all baby bunnies Dwarf so as to notscare off potential customers.

I plan on putting together a much larger cage setup once I've made amore permanent move. I found plans for a really nice NIC setup that Iam in the process of getting the materials together for.

That's a good idea posting a picture over at The Rabbitry. I supposeI'll have to sign up at photobucket or someplace so I can embed images.

Blyre

How is the little girl today? Petstores dousually say a big bunny is a small bunny because they tend to be"Cuter" so you never know.

Photobucket is awesome. Easy to sign up and free.

Today I discovered that chasing a bunny that hasbeen spooked by an outside noise only compounds the problem. A tractortrailer came down the street and just happened to blow its horn whileMunchkin was standing by one of the windows. The poor little bunnyliterally started bouncing off the walls trying to run in alldirections at once with me in hot pursuit. It took me quite a while tocorner and calm her down but in the end, I had to put her in her cageso she would feel more safe and get the bulging eyes back under control.

Other than that, she's doing just fine :)

Blyre

I've had this a few times, espcially withthunder and lightening. I've found it worksbest to stay onthe other side of the room and talk calm to them. Poor Munchkin! :(

Hopefully she'll get used to all the noises! Hope tomorrow she'll have a bit of a better day! :)

oh man! now im glad we dont have noises likethat here! the only thing we have is the fire departments firewhistle...if we had trucks and stuff driving by peapoo would go nuts!!the trash truck did scare her the first time she heard it, and its noteven that loud...now i make sure she's inside on the days it comes.

poor little bunny! sounds like she was terrified! you know what thatmeans...extra tlc and treats formunchkin!!!!:bunnydance::bunnydance::D:D

Yeah, poor thing's not had the best of days.When I get idle while on the computer, I tend to swing my feet alittle. I didn't realize that Munchkin had picked that moment to campout under my chair. To make a long story short, I almost kicked her byaccident. As soon as I felt my foot touch something soft, I stopped andlooked under the chair and saw her. It was cute and worried me at thesame time. But no harm, no foul.

In fact, she kind of looked comfortable resting under there, the little fuzzball :)

Blyre

I just let Munchkin out of her cage and sheresponded by doing what looked like a two foot binky straight up as shestarted romping around the living room. After everything she wentthrough last night, I'm glad she's in a better mood.

She's being kind of standoffish with me today and doing a sort oftag-you're-it sort of thing. She'll run up to me, let me touch herlightly on the nose and then run away. After a while, she will comeback to me and repeat the gesture. I knew I shouldn't have tried tochase her down last night when she bolted but I didn't know any better.I'm hoping that she's not associating me with that fear. I did pick herup for a little while for a few pets and a cuddle earlier and shedidn't squirm.

I wish there was a way to prepare her for the upcoming move I haveplanned for next month. Poor thing hasn't completely gotten used tothis place and soon she'll have to go through the process all overagain.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just adding to her bunny stress. I know I saw her behind a box with a bottle of Maalox last night...

Blyre

Latest posts

Back