I think Charlie has EC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou both...i appreciate that.

I'm just waiting to hear from Dr Lee....he's going to see what can be done about getting that EC test for Charlie....she's doing ok otherwise.

Hello Cheryl and Charlie,
I am new to this forum so I hope you dont mind me butting right in. Is Charlie having a blood test to check for EC? Is his only sympton the leaky pee? EC will often manifest with neurological problems. It doesnt sound like Charlie is having those but a 30 day round of panacur would not hurt him. Liquid Baytril is the nastiest tasting stuff in the world. Ask your vet if he or she can give you the pill form and then crush it into something. I wish ALL vets would give probiotics when giving antibiotics. It cuts way down on poopy butt and the runs that often come with meds. I wish you the best of luck. Feeding meds to a bunny is an awful chore and I feel for you and Charlie. Best of luck.
Christina

Hi Christina,

Yes i'm going to see if i can get her tested,i'm just waiting on Dr Lee,

I lost my Pippi to EC just over 6 months ago,we never knew that he had it for monthsbecause he showed no neurologicalsigns at all in the beginning,he was tested for all kinds of things..only the incontinence issue that wouldn't clear up and the weight loss was an issue....he only startedstumbling months later,and his left rear leg would drag ocassionally...this was when he started showing all the symptom's of EC and as soon as he started showing more sign's he went downhill pretty quick from there,but now i know he had it for much longer before i had seen any sign's,and that's why i'm worried for Charlie....i went through an eight month battle with Pippi.

Charlie was showing the same symptom's as Pippi,she's lost some weight also,this is why i really need that blood test done so then i will have some sort of an idea,and because Pippi didn't show any symptom's for a while,Charlie might not either.....i really hope she doesn't have it.

I am so sorry about your Pippi. EC is spread through urine and is just terrible. Sounds like you know quite a bit about it. My local rabbit rescue has extensive knowledge about EC. They work with several German vets actually and have had very good sucess in treating EC. If you want to get in touch with them I would be glad to give you the info.

Hi Christina,

I only know a bit about EC from what i went through with Pippi and all the amounts of info that i had read while i was going through it with Pippi...i learned and i saw with my own eye's how devestating EC can be...it's an awful thing,it took Pippi away from me slowly...it finally took him away from me on the 26th dec 07,it's something that i could never forget....i miss him so much.

I'm justworried for Charlie now.

Thanks Christina...i'm alway's willing to learn more about that awful parasite

Cheryl,
If you will email [email protected] and address your questions to Andrea she is very informed about E.C. and they are wonderful people who are willing to answer questions. I know they helped me a great deal with my little Nemo and his head tilt issues. Best of luck to you and Charlie.

Rabbit93 E.C is not a bacteria but a parasite. It is spread only in urine. Your bunny (depending on where bunny came from) has probably already been exposed to EC at some time in their life. A very high percentage of buns test positive for EC but the titer is low and most never develope symptons. Bunnies that are immune strong never usually develope symptons. If your bunny is healthy and has regular checkups I doubt you have any worries. There is a new school of thought now and some bunny owners are doing a yearly round of Panacur to prevent problems with EC. My bunnies head tilt did not stem from EC or Pasturella but we do a round of Panacur once a year as a precaution. Of course you should check with your vet with any concerns.

I never would have guessed a parasite! I thought house rabbits couldn't get them but I guess from storebought veggies or dirt, or even the air could have gave it to him. I am going to take him to the vet on Monday. Thanks for all the info everyone. Please if you have any more info let me know.

:headflick:

Rabbits are exposed to EC from their mothers or possibly other rabbits. The exposure is through the urine. It's like a person who has been exposed to Hepititis or TB. Some peopletest positive but never have the illness.

You know..to this day i still don't know whyPippi got EC in the first place...i have read everywhere that a bunny can get it when their immune system's are low,but Pippi had alway's been healthy before that,he never had any health issues for yearsuntil he started having incontinence issues one day and from there he slowly started to go downhill....this is what has puzzled me for quite a while now.

I don't think that it's uncommon for a rabbit todevelop a weaker immune system from things that we just don't have any control over.

I feel that way about Babette..I think that I did everything right in caring for her properly and yet from the age of 5 on she constantly developed upper respiratory infections and now she is gone at just a little over 7 yrs.
I didn't have any control over it. She lived inside in a very non stressful environment .

I'm sure that it is the same with Pippi and Charlie...it's really nothing that is your (or my fault). :?

I guess your right angieluv...no matter how much we do our best and try to protect our babies....a lot of unexplained issues will still arise without us ever knowing why...the 'why' has just been swimming around my mind ever since Pippi died..that's all...because he had a good spoiled stress free life and now i will just never understand why that had to happen,it's just one of those thing's i guess.....and now this is why i'm just concerned about Charlie.

it is emotionally HARD to have rabbits.

I don't go through all the ups and downs with my dogs..it's always the rabbits.
They're really a delicate animal

cheryl wrote:
Hi Christina,

I only know a bit about EC from what i went through with Pippi and all the amounts of info that i had read while i was going through it with Pippi...i learned and i saw with my own eye's how devestating EC can be...it's an awful thing,it took Pippi away from me slowly...it finally took him away from me on the 26th dec 07,it's something that i could never forget....i miss him so much.

I'm justworried for Charlie now.

Thanks Christina...i'm alway's willing to learn more about that awful parasite

EC is an awful horrible thing - as I know you know since you've experienced. However, the one "less negative" thing about it - is that you have time to say goodbye and make special memories. You can cherish those good days and make the most of them....

I really hope you find out it isn't EC...I hope its something minor. We didn't realize GingerSpice had EC till shortly before she died .... and if I had known how to care for her better - I keep thinking tha maybe we would have had her longer...

I'm so glad though that I had that time to prepare for losing her - that time to make good memories. I came across one of her bibs the other day - I'd bought them for her about a week before she died because I so often had to syringe feed her. It said, "Wild Thing"....she'd never gotten to wear it. But I remember the day that I brought the bibs home and teased her about being "mama's baby"...

With EC - I had the chance to make those memories.

I hope it works out that it isn't EC...but if it is - at least you have time to prepare your heart....and we'll be here with you and for you!

My rabbit is acting differently and his symptoms seem like those from EC. Do rabbits just get sluggish as they get older. He is 5-6 years old

Peg,i know what you mean about being prepared....but that is something i never did with Pippi....when he was having all those health issue's and before he was diagnosed with EC,i went through a terrible time,that i spent all my energy on his problem's...i cannot even tell you the amount of tears i had cried time and time again,Dr Lee was supportive all the way through and he understood how i was feeling....but with the amount of time that we had spent at the vet's and Pippi having tests after tests,i was just focused on all that...i knew he was slipping away from me no matter how hard i fought for him..but month's later after all those test's he had and when it came to the conclusion that Pippi had EC,i knew i was going to lose him...yet i didn't give up...i was still focused on him getting better...i know it was silly..but i didn't prepare myself at all....and when i lost him i just broke down....it was awful....just awful....i wish with all my heart that he was still here with me....i'm just scared for Charlie,since she had shown the same symptom's as Pippi first started.....i'm worried that i will have to go through all that again....if she does have it then i will know what to expect this time.

Rabbit93..

If you justwant to have a read up on EC here is a link from the RO library....there is some really good info in those links

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14471&forum_id=10

Hmmm, this is very interesting. My boy Pidge has had a wet bottom for months! We did urine test and everything, it never shows any sign of infection or stones or anything, so we just kind of thought that it was behavioral. He just had is annual bloodwork done and everything was normal, except for a slight raise in his red blood cells. The doctor just thought it was because he is being treated for an abcess, and it was that infection that was showing up in the red bloodcells. Im justcurious now,This titer test you are talking about, that is something special you have to request?, it wouldn't have been done in the bloodwork he just had done would it? Pidge is eating eating like a pig, and actually he have lost 5 oz, i'm just wondering now if something else is going on besides his abcess.

Hi bunnymommy,

When i went through EC with my bunny Pippi,we didn't know for months that he had EC...he did have blood tests done as well,and all sorts of other tests...but EC is a completely different test that you have to get tested seperately.

My Pippi alway's had a healthy appetite through it all except a time when he wasn't feeling well...but even though he was eating fine he was still losing weight..EC is a wasting disease...their mind is still very clear yet their bodies just waste away..that's what happened with my Pippi anyway....and yes he just had a wet bottom that just wouldn't clear up....that's how it all started....through all those months he had 7 urinalysis done...nothing much showed up except that his urine was very concentrated.

EC is just a really awful thing.

Latest posts

Back