I think Charlie has EC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bunnymommy76 - Sounds like something more than just behavioral to me. I haven't had mine wee all over themselves after losing a companion. Usually they go off their feed.

Might try a second opinion.

I don't know! He has had all kinds of test and everything comes back negative. I trust my doctor, she is convinced that it is behavioral. I understand everyones concern that it could be an underlying medical problem, but I talked to my doctor and she said that he is a happy healthy bunny and didnt see the need for an EC test.

It's up to you if you want to go to a pet psychic ..just keep an open-mind that it may also be an undiscovered medical issue. Do you know which tests the vet did.?sometimes they are printed out on the receipt.

Hey Paula...sorry i didn't realize you had posted here.

When i had spoken to Dr Lee on the phone a while ago about getting Charlie tested for EC...he was saying in his own word's though that he doesn't think she would really benefit from anything...because if she has it then there is nothing that can really be done for her anyway...except just make her happy and comfortable like i did for Pippi....he did mention though that it might be a good idea to get her liver function tested....and because i don't alway's speak up when something annoy's me,i just didn't say much....i just thought that if she was tested then at least i would know something...i just don't know.

Dr Lee just said to bring Charlie back in a week or two and he can do the blood test then...i think it's a In House procedure so he should get the result's quicker...she also has to go back to get her weight checked.

Other than that she's doing ok...i have not had any other problem's with her.

I will update with the info that i get from Dr Lee when i take her back....she's also had the Panacur as well.

I'm sorry to hear about Smitten...i hope she's doing ok...poor little girl....they just don't deserve this :(

Yeah i did think straight away about getting that second opinion....i just thought it would have been good just to know what was going on with her....and just so i know where thing's were heading....you know.

I know Dr Lee is a good vet...he did so much for Pippi that i cannot thank him enough...but i just wanted her tested for EC.

At the moment i just don't know which vet to take her to..to get another opinion...it's so hard here!

Are there any other vets in your area that treat rabbits? I would just call. I know that is tough. I guess you don't have access to a Vet School that would be able to treat rabbits.

You know..we have no vet school here in Adelaide....if you want to study to become a vet...you have to go interstate like Melbourne or Sydney or where ever...Adelaide is a very quiet place to live.

When Pippi was going through all his health issues and when Dr Lee had run out of option's for me...i turned to companionrabbit which is an Australian rabbit email group,i asked if anyone knew a good bunny vet even though i really liked Dr Lee.....someone gave me a name of an exotic's vet but it turned out he retired a few month's before i asked.

Maybe i should go back and ask there again....because i just don't know what to do.

if Charlie had a full blood panel early on( I think that she did ) then the liver function could have been assessed by the lab work.
i believe that you said that the kiney and liver func was normal. am I right?

Cheryl have your vet do a ultrasound to check her bladder and vaginal vault area. Both urinalysis tests done on Smitten didn't show much. Just some bacteria, red blood cells and white blood cells. That was just a clue though. It may not be EC at all.

I know you already spent alot on her but it would be worth it. I've already spent around $2000 (some on credit, some borrowed from family) so I know getting tests done are expensive.

Angieluv...Charlie hasn't had a blood panel done yet.

Paula...having a ultrasound is probably a good idea...gosh i know how expensive those tests are from Pippi...i spent thousand's on him...Dr Lee and all the staff at Pet Universe were alway's commenting on how much i loved my bunny...we became like family because Pippi and me were alway's at the vet's...i didn't think twice about all the money i was spending...so this is why i'm prepared with Charlie.

She's doing ok otherwise...but i'll get that blood panel done for her when i take her back to see Dr Lee.........i'll let you know what happen's.

Did Dr. Lee palpate Charlie in the area around her kidneys and bladder? Smitten had a definitely pain response in that area. Smit's blood panel and urinalysis was slightly abnormal but did give enough of a clue that there was an infection going on. The ultrasound was the best diagnostic tool.

Edited to add this: looking back at the earlier posts Randy mentioned this. This was also the other way that they determined that Smitten had a bladder infection.

I think a urinalysis using a procedure called cystocentesis would be in order. This is the only way to get a "virgin" culture of urine as it is extracted directly from the bladder

I would also ask for this procedure.

Hey Paula,

When i had taken Charlie to the vet Dr Lee did feel around her bladder....he was checking to see if he could feel any stone's....he couldn't feel anything and said that her bladder was very empty and he wouldn't be able to do the cystocentesis that day...so he told me to try and get a sample at home when i seen her do a wee and the next day that is when i spotted her doing a wee on the floor so i syringed that up and took it straight to the vet....he said it was ok though...there was no infection or anything so that had ruled outcystitis.

My Pippi had quite a few urine tests done over time and a few of those tests were done by putting the needle straight into his bladder....and every test came back that his urine was very concentrated.

It still sound like a bladder issue to me. It may not necessarily be EC. Also to rule out or in EC you need to have a series of titers done. I just ahd another blood sample taken to recheck the titer. Waiting for the results.

Smit goes back to Penn tomorrow for a recheck. Different vet this time as Dr. Briscoe wasn't available for another two weeks.

I just hope that i am mistaken and over reactedand she doesn't have EC.

I will be waiting to see what Smitten's blood test come's back as...i hope everything goes ok with her.

Ok well i had also just called the vet clinic and i made an appoitment for Charlie this Wednesday at 5:00pm.

I know it sounds crazyto a lot of you, but I think I solved Pidge's peeing problem, and YES it was definitly just a behavioral issue. He has been dry for 4 days and 3 nights now!

I started doing some investigating as to when he would be wet and such and it was always around the same time in the evening and early morning. So I started getting up once a hour during the night to see when it was this was happening, I found that he was always dry up to about 4-4:30 AM.He gets his breakfast at 5 AM, I thought that maybe this may be connected. Sure enough for the past 4 days I have been giving him his breakfast at 4 AM Instead of 5 AM and he has been dry! I think he was peeing because he was mad, he was hungry and wanted his breakfast. Same thing in the evening, he would pee around 6-7 PM, He gets his pellets at 7PM, that too, I think hesanxious to get his pellets. I guess I just have a demanding little bunny, because our doctor claims that he's healthy and, I trust her!

Animals react in strange ways sometimes, it doesn't always mean that they are sick! I had a friend that had a cat that was pulling all his fur out, he had bald spots, they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. The vet finally came to the conclusion that he missed his mate, she had just recently passed on, and that was the cats way of grieving. Sometimes you just have to pay extra close attention to realize what your pet is trying to tell you!

Ok we are back from the vet...i couldn't make the 5:00pm so i changed it to 6:20pm...and it's pouring of rain and it's freezing.

Anyway Dr Lee checked her over and everything and i mentioned about her legs...she doesn't seem to have much traction with them even though she is hopping okbut i have been noticing that she's just differen't from my other bunnies and she feel's 'fragile'...i mean all bunnies are fragile but Charlie feels differen't than my other bunnies,and when i pick her up she doesn't tuck her feet under her like a normal bunny...i was worried that she might have arthritis in them or something...and i just keep thinking EC.

Dr Lee agreed with me that it does seem odd...he doesn't think it's arthritis because of her age,but she could possibly have a problem with a calcium deficiency in her bones or something like that....i should have asked more question's about it....i don't understand this as i thought bunnies get enough calcium from their pellet's...but i don't know....i will ask more question's when i take her back...and like i said she just feel's delicate compared tomy other bunnies.

Anyway he done a full blood panel tonight...but it's not a in house procedure like i thought..this test is differen't..it has to be sent away to the laboratory....i should get the result's by friday..i hope!....i have askedDr Leefor a copy of the result's and i will scan it and post it here.

Charlie is also going to need an x ray doneso Dr Lee can get a better picture of what is going on with her bones...so either friday or monday or when Dr Lee is in next..she will be having her x ray done...and i will post the result's as well...i hate this because i worry about sedating my bunnies...but i know it has to be done.

I'm quite worried about her at the moment but at least with the tests being done we will have a better clue as to what is going on with her body.

Tonight's visit was $221.00...and then there is a few more hundred dollar's when she has her xray....but i just want to find what is wrong with her.

Latest posts

Back