I think Charlie has EC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,i'm going to have to get some new one's as soon as possible,i'll stop by the pet shop to see if they have any if not then i'll have to drop into the vet and get a few from them...i did also try to get her to eat it of the spoon...but no go...she did smell it though.

This what I use to feed critical care. I got this from Bunny Bytes.

[font=Arial,Helvetica]MD003b Hand Feeding Syringe[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]35 cc[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]0.125[/font]

This large syringe has a wide bore catheter tip, which slips easily between the cheek and the teeth for hand feeding. It's ideal for dispensing ground pellet mix, baby food or liquids to rabbits who are not eating or drinking on their own.

Only have a sec here....wildlife is falling everywhere. I make CC into a paste and spread it on a piece of romaine lettuce and roll it up into a burrito. I hold it by hand as they eat. They get the benefits of the greens and the CC as well as that very special one on one TLC. I retrain many tilted bunnies by having them follow the "burrito".

Randy

Yes Randy that is a great idea,i would have never thought of doing it like that,i will definitely try itthat way next time...thanks!

Paula i did end up finding that big syringe,it was hiding from me or maybe the bunnies thought they would hide it on me ;)

Anyway i haven't had to try if the syringe is okyet as Charlie has started eating a bit better...she was a bit iffy about food yesterday...only ate just a bit...she doesn't gobble her food down like her usual self...but just this morning she had some pellets which was good to see.

This is the big syringe i have...do you think this will be big enough for the critical care to get through?...gosh i don't know if you can get bigger than that or not.

P6210004.jpg

I hope it's ok.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I can never suck the critical care up into the syringe. I always have to spoon it in from the top.

Yeah, that's what I do...have never tried to suck it up. That syringe you pictured is the perfect size for force feeding CC. And yes, if you must force feed, take it slow so your bunny does not aspirate the food.

Randy's burrito idea is a great one. Unfortunately, by the time we've gotten to the need for CC in our household it meant that the bunny was totally off his/her food...thus the syringe.

Glad to hear Charlie is eating better. Hope things continue to improve.
~Mary Ellen

Thanks guys,

Charlie is doing ok so far,i am noticing that sometimes she's picky on what she wants to eat...she had eaten some pellets yesterday but not very many today.

I had also trimmed Charlie's fur around her butt a bit..because she is a fluffy bunny,i just thought it would be better for her.

Also i just want to mention,that when Charlie had her urine checked Dr Lee said that there were no crystals in her urine,and when he was feeling her bladder he said that it was just very empty and that he couldn't feel any stones...i'm sure if she had a bladder stone or something then she would be acting uncomfortable...but she doesn't seem to be doing that...she just has that wet bottom which isn't going away....now i'm still giving her the baytril everday still...but i don't know why because it's not doing anything at all...i was wondering..could there be any other reason why she's continueing to have a wet bottom?...i know..i know...i'm just trying to find other answers even though i'm sure iknow what the outcome is going to be.

Gosh it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it....i just lost Pippithrough this awful thingabout six months ago....and i didn't deal with things very well through out the whole time....i let my emotions get in the way to many times....how am i going to go through this again so soon?

I just wish Dr Lee would be consulting sooner than Thursday...i want to get things started for Charlie....the waiting is killing me.

P3020018.jpg

Cheryl, I know we can't say anything that will really help you in this time, but I would like to say that- You'll get through this...somehow, someway. The things that make us stronger, and all that. You'll find a way. (If you believe in God, pray, pray, and pray some more.) I hope with everything that this isn't EC and that Charlie is ok. You're not alone, we're here for you.

Hugs!

Crystal:hug:

Yeah i know..i just get so emontional when something is wrong....and having had to watch Pippi go through that was pretty darn hard...i was on an emontional roller coaster....andfor Charlie to continue to have a wet bottom is just to much of a coincidence and losing some weight....it's just Pippi all over again...after Pippi died i prayed so hard that i would never have to go through that again.

I'm not going to give Charlie her baytril anymore...it's not doing anything..so it's just not worth it.

Anyway thanks Paula and Crystal.....give Smitten a big cuddle for me Paula.

Yes we are all here for you.

I have Critical Care at home but I never had to use it for my bunnies yet. There must be a better way to syringe the food into our bunnies. I'm going to have to think of something that could benefit rabbit owners.

You should continue the Baytril until it is finished. Usually it is prescribed for 10 to 14 days and reassessment is done after that period. Contact Dr Lee about discontinuing the Baytril.

Pray that Charlie continues to be fine and improves. :pray:

I won't wish this on my worst enemy. That is to have to watch another pet slowly deteriorate from the same illness that another passed away from. I can't find a more delicate way of say that. Anyway, I have an idea what your are going through. However, it seems Charlie's EC is more advanced than Smitten's. Anything can happen.

Talk to your vet about trying a different medicine if you are convinced that the Baytril isn't doing anything. Most likely it may be keeping things in check. It's not going cure anything. But don't stop it with talking to the vet first. Randy might offer some suggestions.

I know it seems hopeless right now. Treasure the time you have with her. Take pictures.

Thankyou guys...for just understanding.

I didn't give Charlie her baytril last night because i just thought it was pointless..but maybe i should have consulted with Dr Lee first before i did that,he wasn't doing any consultation's but i think he was just doing surgery's...he owns to vet practises so i know he's a very busy vet and sometimes very hard to even see because everyone goes to him.....she was supposed to take the baytril for 14 days...until i see Dr Lee this Thursday.

Charlie is doing ok though,she just hopped over to me not long ago to get a piece of apple....she's been eating ok so far.

I was wondering does anyone know what the difference is between Lapizole and Fenbendazole(Panacur) or are they basically the same thing?...i just came across an article that mentioned Lapizole.

Hi Cheryl,

Fenbendazole is the generic name and Lapizole and Panacur and Safe-Guard are trade names so fenbendazole is the same drug.

I really feel for you.

If I had to go through the same thing with one of my well rabbits that I just went through with Babette I don't know what I would do.

Very tough and very painful,,
Just hang in there :pray:

Thankyou to the both of you....it is hard but i know that i will get through it somehow....it's just sad because i went through a very painful time with Pippi...i never realized how devestating EC could be until my sweet little boy went through it...you know in all those months EC was taking myPippi away but it never once took his spirit away....no bunny deserves to go through that....it's something that i will never forget....i pray things will be differen't somehowfor Charlie....and for Paula's Smitten.

Thanks for the explaination on the meds Angieluv

Latest posts

Back