ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LakeCondo wrote:
Were the others as young as Neville is? If not, he could do it again until he's older. Too bad there's no rabbit diaper. lol

Neville is now the youngest we ever brought home. He's 7 weeks old now today. Dobby and Kreacher were 7-1/2 weeks when I brought them home. And yes, I have no doubt that Neville will do it again. lol.

I have to say Neville really took to the litter box. He hasn't peed anywhere else in his crate but in his litter box. And that was from Day 1 at 6 weeks old. We were really amazed because it took Dobby and Kreacher a little longer (about 9 weeks) to start going there all the time. I thought they forgot after a month because they were peeing outside their litter box. I realized after watching both of them, that they were in the box, but because they both grew so much, their butts were hanging over the sides. Got a bigger litter box (medium size cat litter box) and no problems since.

We kept the bigger litter box for Dobby and got a smaller one for Kreacher after we had to split them. Now you should see Dobby, loves to just stretch completely out in it. Completely comfortable.

Willard was older when we rescued him. We didn't know his signals so it's really our fault. Just that one time.

Pee happens. lol

K:)

Update on ZRabbits:

Winter has definitely showed it's cold face here in New Jersey. A little bit of snow, lots of cold air. Unfortunately the cold air rules out any plans for bunny adventure outside in the snow. Just not going to take the chance of my boys catching a chill just so that I can see them for the first time enjoy snow. I can wait. Looks like activity time will be inside today. They love getting out of the crates and just romping with us.

Neville is doing well. No problems so far. He's eating and drinking, pooping and definitely peeing. Grooming him last night, Neville got me. Thankfully I had a towel on my lap, just for that reason. Being 7 weeks, doesn't have much control yet. But my husband saw it coming. Said "Watch out, he's loading". Neville gives us a pretty good sign of when he needs to go.

Kreacher, Dobby and Willard got a good look at our new member last night. The votes aren't in yet, but it all looks good. Just a lot of eyeballing. Surprisingly, no stomps from Kreacher. Kreacher knew he was there and that I was holding him. Dobby and Willard weren't too upset. They took it all in stride. I really can't wait until this quarantine period is over so that we can move Neville's crate from the kitchen into the living room where everybody is. Will be nice to have them all together. Will be interesting to see how Kreacher reacts to having another bunny next to him. Willard and Dobby are really starting to enjoy each other's company. More and more I see them sitting side by side in each other's crate. Checking each other out. No problems so far. I figured there would be no problem because Willard is such a sweetie and Dobby is the less dominate one than Kreacher.

It's fun having a baby in the house again. More work involved because babies are so sloppy but we are really looking forward to seeing him grow and learn. Neville is a very curious baby. Not so much skittish of us any more. He is right there when you are trying to change his water or refill his pellets. He's taking to the grooming. Still doesn't like you to groom his belly but we are working on it. So glad I started this baby out early. Working every day for a week for 5 minutes, really has paid off. I see how fast his fur could get tangles and mats if not groomed regularly. I absolutely love how soft his fur is. I've never felt anything so soft before. I thought Dobby and Willard had soft fur. Kreacher's is a bit coarse. Like a Woolie. (Dobby and Kreacher aren't purebred. Breeder like to experiment.)

Neville knows there are other bunnies in the house. He does smell the others on me. I love his reaction when he does. He will smell a scent on me and then stand up big and tall and look around, because he knows there are other rabbits. It's cute to see. And he stands up straight too. I've seen his balance get better over the week. I can say I see a big difference regarding spurts of energy with Neville compared to Dobby and Kreacher at their young age. He more energetic than Dobby and Kreacher were.

Funny his reaction when he actually saw them. He was curious but not overly curious. Being 7 weeks, he's interested in EVERYTHING! Just absorbing it all. Will be getting him out on the floor today so that he can get some exercise. The crate he is in now is a bit smaller but he's comfortable in it. A romp on the floor will do him good. Can't wait to see his reaction. This will be his first time with a large area. Can't wait to see him try out his Bunny 500 or even a binkie. It doesn't matter. He needs to start getting his exercise like the others. After a good romp, I know my boys are tired out and have been mentally stimulated. Lots of Bunny flops afterwards. And a lot more snoozing.

Neville's bunny flops are funny. With all the fur, you can't even hear the flop like you can with Dobby or Willard. Baby flops are funny. But it does my heart good to know that Neville is relaxed enough to do that Bunny Flop. We are going in the right direction. And that makes ZRabbitry comfortable.

K :)

Very cute post :)
I can't wait to hear about the adventures you will have
when they're all staying in the living room together :p haha

Bonnie Lee wrote:
Very cute post :)
I can't wait to hear about the adventures you will have
when they're all staying in the living room together :p haha
I can't wait either. I feel so bad when we are all in the living room and Neville is out in the kitchen all by himself. I know Kreacher's nose will be out of sort when a crate is put next to his, but he'll get over it. The maturity level in Kreacher is really advancing. They say it's amazing the change of a rabbit when they hit 1 year old. I can see it with both Dobby and Kreacher.

Monday morning blahs. Have to work. Can't stay home and play with my boys.

Neville is just full of energy today. Love to watch him do maneuvers in his crate. Gets everything all over the place, but I did just clean his crate and it must be his way of putting it back the way he likes it. Boys, love messy rooms.

Dobby, Kreacher and Willard are in quiet moods. They are slowly being introduced to Neville. They know he's here and they finally got a view and scent of him. They seem intriqued for a while, but it passes and they go about their business.

It will be a different story when Neville is brought into the living room full time. Should be interesting to see how Kreacher reacts to another new bunny next to him.

I think he will be fine. He is maturing very well and quickly so I'm really surprised at this change. 2 more months and he and Dobby will be 1 year old. Can see the maturity level starting and changing my bunnies. It's really nice to see them grow up. It's even nicer when you are greeted.

Oh well, time for work. Everyone have a nice day. Stay safe.

Hump DAY! Week is almost over. Can't wait until the weekend. Will have two days all to myself for my bunnies.

We get our bunnies out for a romp each morning but it's just not enough. Things to d on work days so not much time to play with bunnies.

But the WEEKEND! Well, no work this weekend so I get to play with my bunnies.

Neville is doing well. He's getting more and more used to the grooming comb and the routine. Can't wait to get Neville out for another "Big Boy" run this weekend. He was just so curious the last time because of the newness of the activity. And all the new stuff to smell and chin mark. I think the second "Big Boy" run, he will a little more relaxed and hopefully will see his first binky outside his crate. He does them in his crate which is a little limited in space but he does do it.

Kreacher, Dobby and Willard are all doing well. They all know now that there is a new bunny in town. They are all taking it in stride. No one's nose is out of joint. Kreacher is just curious as to who the new bunny is. Which is normal. But also show's Kreacher's maturity level has expanded. Two more months and Dobby and Kreacher will hit the Big 1. Can't believe how fast it goes. Remember when they first came home. Boy was I nervous. Like a new Mom. Wondering if I'm doing things right.

But it looks like I am. My boys are thriving. They are sweet and love affection.

Well, hope all have a Great Hump Day!

LakeCondo wrote:
It sounds like everything is going really well.
Thanks Lake, it is going extremely well here.

Last night we decided to move Neville into the Living Room. It's almost two weeks, and I know it's supposed to be 30 days, but they are all in the same house but in different rooms and anything could be passed. Neville comes from a very good breeder who knows about weak immune systems so I knew I was getting a very healthy bunny.

Everything went well last night. Woke up to be greeted by all of them. All had an easy night with the newbie in the room. Neville, being young, took it all in stride.

I was surprised that it was Dobby that was kind of out of sorts with the move. Even had a boxing match when I entered his crate last night. I spent more time with him calming him down and now this morning he's binking all over the kitchen with no ill feelings.

That's the way it's supposed to be. They test, you reassure, friendship continues.

It's all still going extremely well. Looking forward to the future.

kangaroog311 wrote:
you have such wonderful bunnies and I always feel you have the best info to share with new bunny owners like me

Thank you so much for your kind words and compliment. I'm glad I can help new bunny owners because I got some help myself to get my bunnies to be so wonderful.

IMHO, that's what it's all about. If I know something that will help, I'll share it with everyone. Like a lot of people on this forum do.

Getting respect and love from a wild animal, like a Rabbit, has to be the biggest achievement a human can do. They are amazing, intelligent animals but are the low man on the totem pole of life being "prey".

Hope to hear how your bunny is doing. Please drop by anytime and let me know how it's going. Would love to see pics.

Surprise, Surprise. As you all know in the evening I do the grooming of all my boys. Even Willard, my husband rescued bunny. Now during this grooming period, I always flip my bunnies just to check their bellies, their private area and pads to make sure all is healthy. No drying, no kinking, and combing out to make sure my boys are healthy.

Well did I have a surprise while grooming Willard. Lo and behold, nuggets were there. I have a intact male who I thought was nuetered. Willard came us with no background and was abandoned at a reptile store. When I flipped over at the store, I knew he was a male without nuggets. During the period we had him, still no nuggets. Last night, we got nuggets. This morning, we got nuggets.

I did a little research and found out that bunnies, who are stressed and scared will retract their nuggets into their body. I guess now that Willard feels at home, OH and he shows he's home, has released and relaxed his nuggets. When I asked my husband, "Have you seen these?" My husband said, "Seen what?" And I replied, "Nuggets"? My husband said, "Are you sure, he can't have nuggets, he's too calm, too easy to handle."

Well guess what, I don't know why, but they are there. Thank goodness he wasn't with a doe or we would be having babies. Lots of babies.

I doubt very much I will have neutered at this stage now. He's a sweetie tenfold and why put him through this now. He's not spraying. He's not destructive, or overly aggressive. Which usually defines an intact male. He's just a dream to be with. He loves to be held. He loves my Husband and will follow him around the kitchen. Now understand all the chin marking. He does it more than my neutered males, Dobby and Kreacher.

I wish I knew more of his background. He surely looks purebred Netherland Dwarf. Size, shape, bone structure and coat. I would love to mate him with another Netherland Dwarf to sell as Pets. His disposition and demeanor are way above average and his babies would be perfect for pets or 4-H. If I could get some background on him. If I don't, I won't breed because I will not do any harm to other generations of bunnies. My husband agrees that he will stop by the reptile store just to talk to the people and see if he can get a lead on where Willard came from.

But it was a big surprise. And I think Willard is younger than we first thought. Because nuggets don't drop until 7-10 months, so our 1 year a few months ago was truly wrong.

Dr Joe will let us know approximate age. Dr. Joe will be shocked that we have acquired two more bunnies and another on the way. Should be interesting. He's always been supportive with all his information. But he does roll his eyes at the tiny bunnies like Kreacher. Don't blame him, he raised New Zealands and he does like Dobby because he reminds him of his pet bunny.

Will let everyone know what transpires. In a couple of months all 4 will be going to see Dr. Joe for "well visits". I'll let you know then.

Oh Boy, it's always something. And bunnies do surprise you. lol

LakeCondo wrote:
Wow, what a surprise.
Yep, tell me about it. Still in shock. Hope my husband can find out something about Willard. He's a beautiful Boy with BIG Personality and Heart. Would make great babies with the right doe.

Sounds like Cookie! First we were told he was a girl... Then our vet couldn't find any "nuggets" so told us he was pretty sure he'd been fixed and then just hours later while getting his nails trimmed we saw "nuggets" lol we r still considering getting him fixed... But just like your Willard he is such a good boy... We might just leave him be :)

BunMommaD wrote:
Sounds like Cookie! First we were told he was a girl... Then our vet couldn't find any "nuggets" so told us he was pretty sure he'd been fixed and then just hours later while getting his nails trimmed we saw "nuggets" lol we r still considering getting him fixed... But just like your Willard he is such a good boy... We might just leave him be :)

If he's not spraying, I wouldn't. My Rabbit Vet told me the only reason you neuter a male is because of his dirty habit of spraying. It does bring down the hormone level, but if your Cookie is as laid back and sweet like Willard, I wouldn't do it either.

Kreacher, well he was all "Attitude", so it was the best thing for him.. Dobby I think could have done without the neutering but we (myself and my husband) were very new to rabbits. Dobby is a sweetie. Doesn't really like being picked up, (he grunts every time I pick him up but tolerates it knowing I'll be putting him down real soon to play) but he's calm down and is a pleasure. I think that's more his maturity than his nuggets missing.

K

Latest posts

Back