ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little update. Yesterday we experienced our first real snow storm. Not much, just makes a mess. Too cold to let the boys out to experience it. Shame though, I would have loved to see them out there in it.

I know Willard would love it. He loves to be outside and loves to dig and mark all over the enclosure and the garden. He must have been an outside bunny before we got him, because he seems to be at home out there. But he does like his crate inside and he likes to get out and explore in his inside run.

Kreacher would think it interesting but I know will only tolerate it for a little while. You should see him when the ground is a little wet. How dare you let his paws get wet. And with snow they would be wet and cold.

Dobby, on the other hand, well here is is most of the time when he gets to go outside.

BUNNYS472.jpg

I have to take his carrier out or he would just stay in it. My "Couch Potato" does like the big dog crate attached to the enclosure and will spend time in there.

But it will have to be another day. Just too cold for my pampered Masters. All the buns are now snuggled in their rooms, taking their naps, obvious of the snow and cold outside. Masters schedules go unbroken.

K :)

yamaya17 wrote:
Have you thought about breeding/showing? I would Definatley recomend it its a great experience:)

:wave:

Actually breeding has been in our thoughts for some time now. Neville will be the start of our breeding plans. As I've read so many things, and listened to so many who started out, I found getting the foundation buck first is where to start.

We got Dobby and Kreacher just to see what rabbits were all about. I did want Lionheads then, but we just didn't know what to expect and the grooming was a factor. But found out grooming is the best way to bond. So hence, the excitement for Lionheads. Once Neville is settled, we then be looking for a doe. Funny, we already have a name for her. lol

Regarding the showing, our plans are to attend our first ARBA show in February to experience it first hand.

I know that Lionheads are not approved by the ARBA, but there are those who feel this awesome animal should be considered. Plus I'm on the minority side of Lionheads, I like double manes. The move is more towards the single mane. But looking forward to February, as with bunnies, walking in not knowing anything, but with an open mind. It's worked well for us doing it this way, why fix what's not broken.

Truly thanks for the suggestions. Bunnies have already been a Great experience. Looking forward to broadening this experience.

Sweetie is a lionhead mix, she is a single mane. When I got her at 6 weeks, she was tiny and she still is tiny. She is the black one as you know in my avatar. She has her mane in the avatar.

Pudden, the male that I got from another member here, is a polish rabbit, just like you Kreacher. I will get pics of Pudden and pics of Sweetie and will post them.

Sweetie wrote:
Sweetie is a lionhead mix, she is a single mane. When I got her at 6 weeks, she was tiny and she still is tiny. She is the black one as you know in my avatar. She has her mane in the avatar.

Pudden, the male that I got from another member here, is a polish rabbit, just like you Kreacher. I will get pics of Pudden and pics of Sweetie and will post them.

Would love to see your Pudden. And regarding Sweetie, black is truly hard to get a good picture of. Takes time. Believe me, Kreacher is sick of my camera, but he tolerates the flash.

I call this his "Snarky" look but really he's tolerating the flash.

BUNNYS801.jpg

It's fun taking pictures of your bunnies. I'm glad mine tolerate it because they know I enjoy it. And with pics comes play and contact. We try to work it together.

Good Morning Everyone,

Thought I would give an update.

Willard:

Absolutely the sweetest bunny I've ever met. Have no clue what he came from but have to say, he's very forgiving. After 2 months with us, Willard knows his name. We call his name, and especially if my Husband calls his name, we will get a look like "what do you want?" He loves to sleep under his shelf in his crate, but he has started to sprawl in his hay. To see him complete relaxed on his side, with his closed, and dreaming is just pure pleasure on our part. We had no idea what his background was, or what he went through before us, so seeing that little cream colored belly is just pure pleasure for us. When a rabbit sprawls like that, he is showing you, IMHO, that he is truly comfortable with his/her surroundings. Mission accomplished in my book.

Dobby:

Dobby is showing his teenage spirit. Yesterday my husband did the cleaning of the crates. Dobby didn't want my husband to move his towel. I guess he liked it the way it was. My husband was surprised when Dobby started digging his hand. My husband said no and continued to clean. Dobby came back, and did the same digging motion. No biting, no noises or growls, but digging. I wonder if this is what is referred to as "boxing". Anyway, my husband gently pushed him away and said no. At this time, Willard who is housed right next to them, was right there for my husband. It was strange. I guess Willard has completely bonded with my husband and wanted to make sure his Slave was not hurt by Dobby. Dobby and Willard do get along and do sit side by side in their crates. But my husband said that Willard was right there when he heard my husband voice say no. Weird. Anyway, Dobby is fine this morning. My husband went in to give them their daily treats and their ACV water, and he was more than welcoming. Maybe just one of them days. But it's past and means nothing now. Just experience. But the top side of my husband hand is still sensitive. So glad I trimmed their nails. My husband would have hamburger as a hand if I hadn't.

Kreacher:

What can I say about "Mr. Attitude". He's been a sweetie. Been getting him out more and more. He was out this morning with us in the kitchen exploring. Having a good time. He loves to sit with me every night, while I groom him or just be with him. He actually looks forward to it. I can see that sweet face waiting for me when I walk in from work. He waits at the door of his crate for me every night. I enjoy the contact. My husband won't admit it, but he does too.

Everyone is healthy. Everyone is fed and have their ACV water. They are now happily snoozing now. My husband will home today doing paperwork, so he plans on getting them out this afternoon. He likes his one-on-one with them as well.

Nothing new other than counting down the days until we see Neville. Look at his picture all the time and smile.

Well Great News! Got the word from the breeder that she is in receipt of my deposit for Neville. HALF WAY THERE! Truly excited to meet this little guy. Can't wait to see him but more, can't wait to get him home and start settling him in to our little group.

10 MORE DAYS! Count down begins. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

I've talked to the breeder about another doe she believes is pregnant. I've got a hold on a doe from that litter. What a beautiful doe she is too. But the breeder is hoping for a doe as well, plus she has a breeder friend, so it's up in the air on that one.

I'm looking forward to seeing if I can meet some breeders of Lion Heads at the ARBA show.

It's coming up to when many breeders are getting serious with breeding and I believe I'll have better luck finding Neville a mate. Or two. We plan to start with a buck and two does for our breeding program. And since we both don't mind traveling, it kind of opens up our options.

I'm looking forward to the search.

The boys are doing good. Right now Dobby is enjoying his time out with us in the kitchen. He's having a great time exploring. Our "couch potato" needs more stimulation to get him moving so we decided to pick another room to let him explore. He's having a ball. The exercise is doing him good.

K:)

Well being on this forum has helped me realize a different side of bunnies. I've seen the pet side and the breeding side, but not the foster side. My husband was in PetSmart the other day and had the opportunity to me a young lady involved in fostering. She was very informative and gave my husband the information on a awesome Rabbit Rescue.

We both sat down and read over the information about this "For Bunny Sake Rabbit Rescue". They need volunteers to foster. So we decided to put our names in to help. Got room enough to help bunnies find "forever homes". Care is real cheap. Love is real cheap. And so is attention.

Just waiting to hear back. I know it doesn't happen overnight but we would like to participate to helping bunnies find a good home.

Update:

Have been getting the boys out every morning to allow them to have a run in the kitchen. It's been working out great. The early morning seems to be their most active time. So being out of the crate, they are getting exercise. And this exercise is helping them relax during the day. They seem so tired after their run.

When we first got the boys, they had their run in the living room. Until puberty hit and hormones kicked in and the dreadful marking started. Could not let this be a habit so they were restricted.

Neutering helped a lot for my boys. They really calmed down and the marking stopped. They have been really enjoying their time out of the crate and no marking has occurred. A few thumps because they smell each other on the carpet but other than that nothing.

Have been considering trying to get them together again. Especially Dobby and Kreacher because they were ex-crate mates. But nervous to do so. Have been reading everything here in the Library regarding bonding but still a bit tentative with putting them together again. They all know each other exists. They see each other in their crates. But still got that territorial attitude from Kreacher. Just don't want fights and hurt bunnies.

This Saturday...Can't wait! Get to go meet Neville for the first time. Hoping the weather is fair. Long drive ahead but we are both really looking forward to it.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
Have been considering trying to get them together again. Especially Dobby and Kreacher because they were ex-crate mates. But nervous to do so. Have been reading everything here in the Library regarding bonding but still a bit tentative with putting them together again. They all know each other exists. They see each other in their crates. But still got that territorial attitude from Kreacher. Just don't want fights and hurt bunnies.

Maybe, even though Kreacher was a crate-mate, I'd say you should try putting the other 2 together, as he's the territorial one. Maybe that's as far as your can go, having a pair & a loner, but that's better than 3 loners. And maybe adding Kreacher to the pair will work as well, eventually.

LakeCondo wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:

Maybe, even though Kreacher was a crate-mate, I'd say you should try putting the other 2 together, as he's the territorial one. Maybe that's as far as your can go, having a pair & a loner, but that's better than 3 loners. And maybe adding Kreacher to the pair will work as well, eventually.

Thanks Lake. I think Dobby and Willard would get along well. They are crated next to each other and they always acknowledge one another. Never charging, never biting at the bars. Just a neighborhood howdy. So I could try it. Kreacher is definitely our Dominate hardhead so he would be a solo. And he likes being by himself. He's more approachable now and calmer. Actually Kreacher likes playing with the dog more than the other bunnies. Jake likes playing with him. May it's the color. Don't know.

Thanks for the advise. We will try and definitely let you know the experience.

Guess who's coming home Saturday!

:yahoo:

Yes! Neville will be coming home on Saturday! We are SOOOOO Excited.

Also we are looking forward to seeing the breeder's operation. She has been very warm and open inviting us to see her rabbitry. Also we are excited to announce that we will be checking out our new doe as well. Babies just a few days old.

Oh well, regarding the Rabbit Show, will have to look at other dates. Will have to miss this one on Saturday because we are bringing our new bunny home. Still want to experience a Show, but want to experience Neville more.

So we will be able to have Neville settled in by the time our doe will be ready for pick up.

Oh it's going to be so much fun having a baby in the house again!

Will post pics! LOTS of them!

Well about this time tomorrow we will be almost there. Have everything ready for our trip to get Neville. His crate is ready for him. All supplies needed. New smaller carrier because he will be so small and it is a bit of ride. Our boys weren't that far away, so the carrier we bought was perfect for the two of them.

My boys and Jake know something is up. They are getting anxious too because they feel our excitement. Especially Jake. He knows something is coming home with us Saturday. You would think he would be used to it by now. lol. Another bunny for him to watch. Or should I say take ownership of because he really believes they are his. It's amazing. He defends them. When we are with them, he needs to know that we aren't doing anything to them, he checks them to make sure they are OK. At night he's right there with them sleeping.

I can't wait to see what my boys think of Neville. They won't be exposed to him for 30 days, but I know they will know he's here. I'm sure Jake will let them know something is in the other room. Jake did the same thing when Willard came home. He made sure Willard wasn't lonely for the 30 days quarantene. I guess Jake will make sure Neville isn't lonely.

It will be fun having a baby in the house again. Looking forward to getting Neville home safe and sound and getting him acclimated to his new home.

Sunday will be a very "relaxing" day. Long trip, and new bunny. Time to bond.

And definitely pics will be posted. And maybe even a small little movie. Will see.

Anyway, can you tell I'm a bit excited for the new arrival. You bet I am!

Thanks Lake for the well wishes.

It's 3:38 AM in the Morning at ZRabbits. Waking up with coffee and letting the boys run for a bit before we leave around 5:00 AM.

Everything packed and ready to go!

Wish us luck!

PS: Yes, we will have pics.

Lake, this is Jake. The best rescue we ever had so far! Amazing raised to fight by drug dealers, rescued, was so mean they were going to put him down at 3 months old but my husband fought to keep him, and after thorough background checks and vet checks to confirm we knew how to handle, train violent dogs, and is now with our 12 years of TLC, is the biggest sweetie and bunny lover there is.

BUNNYS877.jpg

I'm so sorry about your son! Losing a child is a loss no one could ever comprehend unless they have experienced it... We lost our triplets to still birth almost 3years ago... No pain can compare! But these little animals sure help to fill some of the void and definitely provide so much entertainment! Big hugs to you!!

I can't wait to see pics of your new baby! :D

And Wow does your do by look so similar to our cookie! Wow long lost brogues for sure! Lol

Latest posts

Back