ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRabbits

Reaction score
My husband and I got our first rabbits 7 months ago. As parents, who lost their only Son to Leukemia, we were trying to find something to fill that loss. Nothing can fill a loss of a child, but boy these little animals do help a lot. It has been an amazing 7 months getting to know our boys. They have taught us a lot of what a rabbit really is. Never would I have thought that rabbits could be this entertaining and intelligent.

Our Boys are:

Dobby (DOB: 4/11/11) Sable Marten

We call him our "Couch Potato" bunny. He is really laid back. Loves to sit on our laps and watch TV with us.

Kreacher (DOB: 4/11/11) Black Polish

We call him "Mr. Attitude". For only being 2 lbs, he has LOTS of attitude. But does like sitting in my lap as well for cuddles.

Williard (DOB: ?) Sable Netherland

Willard is our rescue. We rescued him from an Exotic Pet store who sells Reptiles. My husband and I went in there just out of a whim to see if they had bunny supplies. Husband found Willard in a steel horse trough and the rest is history. Brought Willard home, and he's been such a sweet guy to get to know.

We call him "Snuggle Bear" because he really loves to snuggle. Especially with my Husband. They have definitely formed a bond. Amazing how an animal knows he's being rescued. Well at least it appears that way.

I'm so sorry about your son; can't even imagine how devastating that is :( I'm glad the buns are now in your life to bring you some new joy. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the little buggers :D

Thanks so much for your warm welcome.

This is Willard, our rescue. And brings lots of joy to our home. All of us got lucky that day.

BUNNYS872.jpg

Welcome to RO!
I'm glad you gave your buns a loving home! They must really appreciate and love you both lots

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

Yes, they do. In their unique ways, we get a "BIG" hug from all of them.

I would have never thought rabbits were this personable. That they are such individuals.

It's been a blast getting to know them. They do love us as much as we love them.

In their own ways, they make :D

K

I would never have guessed in a Thousand years that I would have bunnies in my living room. Both of us still are amazed at that fact. But it is a fact and we are so glad to see them every time we walk into that room.

Both of us never had rabbits before, and I was surprised when my husband suggested we look for rabbits. That "empty nest" feeling was really bad for me and he knew I needed something to nurture.

Excellent idea. It's been an amazing experience learning about these little creatures. To find out that they are such individuals with different personalities was mindboggling. And actually fun to watch their individuality and personality come out.

Dobby and Kreacher were our first. We found a breeder in the area, after exhausting the Adoption route. Dobby was our first pic. As I wanted to have two to bond together, Kreacher was chosen by the breeder. I was told litter mates would bond better.

Dobby at 6 weeks:
BUNNYS003.jpg

Kreacher at 6 weeks:
BUNNYS006.jpg

Silly us, we even went and visited our new bunnies before we brought them home at 8 weeks. We were just smitten with these little guys. And wanted to bond with them a bit. Actually we brought a towel down so that we could get the scent of them to bring home for our dog, Jake to smell. BTW, he's been awesome with them. Actually thinks they are his. lol

It's been an awesome 7 months having these guys. And when we found Willard two months ago, our love of rabbits have grown.

So much so, that we are now looking for lionheads. I've loved these little furry rabbits, but we didn't go that route at first because we didn't know much about rabbits and my husband was worried about the grooming and all the hair. Now that we've had these guys, THANKS Dobby, Kreacher, and Willard, my husband has found, and so have I, that bonding is so much better during grooming time.

SOOOO, I get to look for lionheads. We are planning a trip to the ARBA show in PA to meet some breeders, plus I'm really looking forward to seeing what a Rabbit show is.

K

Here's our set ups for our boys

This was are start:
BUNNYS007.jpg

We built an outside run for them:
BUNNYS210.jpg

And on rainy and cold days, here's their inside run:
BUNNYS526.jpg

And after the bonding didn't go well, here's our current set up:
BUNNYS299.jpg

And plans are changing again. With new bunnies in mind.

Any suggestions on improving our set up, is most welcome.

K

For a couple that knew nothing about rabbits at the start. I think you've done a brilliant job at showering them with love and care :)

Bonnie Lee wrote:
For a couple that knew nothing about rabbits at the start. I think you've done a brilliant job at showering them with love and care :)
Thanks so much for the compliment. You have no idea how nervous we were bringing our boys home. Did loads of research during the wait. We like to be a bit prepared, if that's possible. lol

And still learning as we go. It's been a blast. Rabbits have such intelligence, spunk, personality. Absolutely would have never thought.

Looking to continue the journey we started with our rabbits. Its been so rewarding in many ways.

K :)

Well Great News has come to ZRabbits. I've been notified that the Blue Tort Lionhead is infact a Boy and that he's doing well. The breeder has been so sweet to keep me informed of this guy and today sent a picture.

I"M IN LOVE! :inlove:

Looking forward to showing him off. Will be interesting to see how my three boys take to this little guy.

I'll keep you informed.

K ;)

Update on the Newest Member of ZRabbits:

Deposit in the mail to put a hold on this Male Blue Tort Lionhead.

As this is the first long distance purchase, and the picture sent, though melts my heart, it's still good to see him in person. As we are going to the Rabbit Show, we asked if we could stop by, though the bunny won't be ready to be released, we could meet our new rabbit and discuss the best way to make sure we will be caring for this bunny right. Quick reply back: YES.

We have already named him. When we look at his picture, we see Neville, as in Nevill Longbottom of the Harry Potter Series. Big fans, both of us.

So Neville he will be.

I'm really looking forward to seeing my first ARBA Rabbit Show. Seeing all the different breeds in person is what I'm really looking forward to. Love the pictures and reading the differences, but actually seeing them. Just seeing Neville's picture, I see the Lionhead ears. I love their shape. I look forward to learning about the ARBA and talking to members. It will be a long ride and a long day, but we both are looking forward to the experience, but mostly meeting Neville.

Keep you posted.

I'm soo sorry to hear about your son. That would be so difficult.

I love your bunnies! ~They are TOO CUTE! ...especially my personal favorite Neville.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I'm soo sorry to hear about your son. That would be so difficult.

I love your bunnies! ~They are TOO CUTE! ...especially my personal favorite Neville.
:wave:

Thanks for that kindness. It is difficult, but you do what you need to, to cope. Both of us being miserable and sad because of this huge loss would be disrespectful for all the love we received from our Son. He made both of us better people just for the experience of his sweet ways.

Thanks for the compliment on our bunnies. They help ease the sadness so that the focus is placed where it should be. Positive outlook and great memories. Remarkable little critters I'm finding out.

And what can I say about Neville. A dream come true.

im so sorry for your loss to all three of you. i am sending like the biggest hug ever your way (even though i dont know you) but im so glad you found some bunnies to lift you all up and brighten your days. they must be very special buns as well as being quite beautiful.

CharmmyBunny wrote:
im so sorry for your loss to all three of you. i am sending like the biggest hug ever your way (even though i dont know you) but im so glad you found some bunnies to lift you all up and brighten your days. they must be very special buns as well as being quite beautiful.
Thank you. Those kind words and a "computer" hug of understanding from a stranger means a lot.

:thumbup

Special bunnies? Nah, don't think that. Especially after reading all the bunny stories here and how their bunnies do the same thing as mine. Bring true contentment and once bonded unconditional love. Though we are slaves to these unique creatures, it's worth all the hard work, just to have the pleasure of a binkie or a kiss.

Now beautiful. That's another subject all together. You best believe it. Beautiful, frustrating, fascinating little characters. But then again, aren't they all like that?

We, my husband and I, both never thought we would feel this way about rabbits. But have to admit, they are the true medicine for what ails us now.

Look forward to discussing bunnies with you.

Karen :)

Latest posts

Back