WTH????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runestonez wrote:
I have heard of some bunns taking it very personally when their bunn-parents socialize with other bunns!
Oliver LOVES to attack my hubby Tony! :biggrin2:peppers LOVES to lunge at him!
Tucker pees on me!

Tonygets lunged at and bitten on a weekly basis! lol Funny enough...our Oliver looks like your Jay Jay...same colouring butOllie is a nethie!

We tried to divide the nasty bunn duties from the happy bunn duties...I do grooming, nail clippings, meds and litterboxes...he does greens, pellets and morning craisintreats...and still gets bitten! :biggrin2:

I have been trying to decide what it is about him that is different...I think it might a dominance issue...he will flinch, I don't! lol

Hopefully, if it is a jealousy issue, once Jay Jay has had a bit more time to settle his hormones and a bit more time to adjust to the fact that Monty isn't going anywhere he will adjust. Just like humans bunns have adjustment issues sometimes! Instead of keeping their scents away from one another...(he obviously knows there is another buck in the house)...what if you tried exposing them to each others scents...I assume it'll be apocolyptic at first...but it may speed things along too!

Danielle
Dominance..i think so, jealousy IDK

Monty my other buck is very submissive...I can try introducing them, but with that being said...the thought concerns me...some one getting hurt frightens me very much

pamnock wrote:
This was my recent bite wound from a young checkered giant (I still have a scar). He suddenly lunged, latched on, and started kicking the heck out of me. I couldn't get him off!

Luckily, I had my arm wrapped with an Ace bandagethat he bit through. A direct bite would have required stitches.
Yep that is about how i look today, luckily for me I he didnt latch on and i was able to get him off rather quickly.

I remember the thread u had about this pic...sorry but never thought I would have it happen to me...lol i was sooooo sooooo wrong

mistyjr wrote:
Did he get bitten by anything... I told my hubby about this and he said he could have gotten bit by something like a mouse???

How's is he this morning?
Nope not to my knowledge. He is living in the lap of luxury here lol spoiled brat lol.

This morning. he seems fine, but he has peed all over, pooped everywhere. except in his litter pan. This is unusual for him he is pretty good about keeping things tidy.

B4 Monty came he was free roam. he had the best litter habits, and a very trustworthy boy. after Monty all that changed. But him peeing and pooping all over in his cage is very strange.

I know I havent replied to everyone of you. But I do want to thank you all for your advice and/or support It really means a lot to me.

If the behavior continues after the vet clears him for any illnesses or injuries then I would suggest at least considering re-homing him. If handling his is super stressful and you're worried that he might attack your kids then you need to do what's best for your family. If you have exhausted all other options and don't want to keep him then re-homing him is probably the best option for everyone as long as you are upfront and honest about the reasons why you can't keep him (I would never advocate dumping him on an unsuspecting new owner). It's a tough decision and I know it feels like you are "giving up" but sometimes it is the right decision. If you are afraid to handle him and be around him then he'll suffer emotionally and the bad behavior might get worse. Maybe he just needs to be in a one-bunny household and then he'll be a perfect little angel.

bengal77 wrote:
If the behavior continues after the vet clears him for any illnesses or injuries then I would suggest at least considering re-homing him. If handling his is super stressful and you're worried that he might attack your kids then you need to do what's best for your family. If you have exhausted all other options and don't want to keep him then re-homing him is probably the best option for everyone as long as you are upfront and honest about the reasons why you can't keep him (I would never advocate dumping him on an unsuspecting new owner). It's a tough decision and I know it feels like you are "giving up" but sometimes it is the right decision. If you are afraid to handle him and be around him then he'll suffer emotionally and the bad behavior might get worse. Maybe he just needs to be in a one-bunny household and then he'll be a perfect little angel.
I hear ya cheryl...this is so hard, I am so confused. This is not to be offencive, but this situation is making me feel childish and very insecure

You don't necessarily need to introduce them...what about doing a bit of scent swapping? Give Jay Jay and Monty some small pieces of fabric to lay on/play with and then switch them up...

If Jay Jay starts behaving like a goon...well that would answer that question...jealousy...but maybe letting them each get the others scent will help settle Jay Jay down...

Just an idea...some things I have tried or tossed around in the past!:D

Danielle

Runestonez wrote:
You don't necessarily need to introduce them...what about doing a bit of scent swapping? Give Jay Jay and Monty some small pieces of fabric to lay on/play with and then switch them up...

If Jay Jay starts behaving like a goon...well that would answer that question...jealousy...but maybe letting them each get the others scent will help settle Jay Jay down...

Just an idea...some things I have tried or tossed around in the past!:D

Danielle
ok I can try it he has a blanket in there right now. But even if he does act like a goon how do u know it is jealousy VS territory. My first thought would b territory not jealousy....or could it b one in the same???

I would think the two were same personally...
I would watch to see how Jay Jay reacts to Montys scent...
attacking the blanket, marking it...etc...
or maybe just interested...

It bothers me when one of our kids doesn't act the way we are used to...
So we try different things and try to nail down what is causing it...
although to be honest...sometimes things just are...;)lol

When we brought our two new boys into the house we quarantined them for 2 weeks...the other bunns knew someone new was in the house...for a long while the whole house was full of thumps and angry bunny noises...once our big male in the front room finally got to see the two interlopers he settled a bit...not enough to stop marking the border of his territory...or grabbing my fingers and pushing me out of his house if I smell like them...but within reasonable limits!:D

Danielle

Wow, my heart goes out to you Denise! I sure hope that your ok, same with Jay Jay! Im sorry I cant offer any advice, Ive never had something like this happen to me (just wait, I'll get booted by Jezzy later tonight now, lol) but I hope it doesn't happen again.

Were you handling the new buck or did you have the smell of the new buck on your clothing when this happened ? Is the new buck in the same room with him? If so he could have picked up the odor on you and reacted violently to it.

So sorry this happened;I had a similar incident but not as severe and it took a lot of effort for me to get over the biting( I wore long pants, sleeves ,gloves when dealing with my rabbit who was NOT neutered at the time.)

pamnock wrote:
This was my recent bite wound from a young checkered giant (I still have a scar). He suddenly lunged, latched on, and started kicking the heck out of me. I couldn't get him off!

Luckily, I had my arm wrapped with an Ace bandagethat he bit through. A direct bite would have required stitches.
OMG that is awful Pam :shock:

I would strongly recommend against rehoming a rabbit known to be dangerous.

This type of behavior goes past normal aggression/biting, so great care must be taken when handling.

pamnock wrote:

This type of behavior goes past normal aggression/biting, so great care must be taken when handling.

I have a question: What is she to do if she can't break him from biting and lunging? Plus she is scared ofhim. She runs a daycare in her home with little kids also.

I did tell her to look around to see if any one in her area works with troubled rabbits. So maybe they can help her(work with him), or if she had to rehome him.( to someone with knowledge of troubled rabbits)

angieluv wrote:
Were you handling the new buck or did you have the smell of the new buck on your clothing when this happened ? Is the new buck in the same room with him? If so he could have picked up the odor on you and reacted violently to it.

So sorry this happened;I had a similar incident but not as severe and it took a lot of effort for me to get over the biting ( I wore long pants, sleeves ,gloves when dealing with my rabbit who was NOT neutered at the time.)
Nope Monty was out but in his room... he was let out by my oldest earlier, and BJ closed the door behind him. I had just changed into my jammies and was getting ready to relax.

pamnock wrote:

This is good advice Pam thank you but wont he get worse then if i dont touch him...I mean still cleaning up after him but not touching him. And animals can sense human feelings...I might have a hard time going in by him with out anxiety???

Fancy77 wrote:
pamnock wrote:

This is good advice Pam thank you but wont he get worse then if i dont touch him...I mean still cleaning up after him but not touching him. And animals can sense human feelings...I might have a hard time going in by him with out anxiety???
That would besad if you couldn't interact(sp?) with JJ. This is a hard situation :hug:

OK I have an update: I took Jay Jay to the vet. He is cleared of anything physical. doc says he is just fine. I didnt have them do blood work cuz I have plumbing issues that will cost a fortune I expect. so all I could swing was a check up for a lack of better words.

Getting him ready to go was...umm...Heck. I had a laundry basket and a blanket at my disposal.

Plan A: I started with just me to pick him up and he jumped at me. Plan B: throw the blanket over him and scoop him up. He did not like that at all and I was luck I missed a few close calls. I placed him in his carrier, and again he bit and rattled the bars.

I had the vet get him out of the carrier when I got there, he was very sweet and nice with the vet cuz I had limited contact with Jay Jay. they were nice enough to put him back in the carrier for me also. When I got home all I did was place the opened carrier in his run and he came out on his own.

The vets advice boiled down to putting him to sleep. I am sure the vet said more but at this time i am having a hard time remembering cuz i was bawling so much when I was in the vet's office...sorry

I am letting him cool off b4 i try to do the towel/ scent trick Danielle mentioned

Fancy77 wrote:
pamnock wrote:

I put extensive time inworking with a buck that had the same disposition. There was no change. The day he came out of his cage attached to my arm was his last. He was just too dangerous to have around my kids.

I'm getting the impression that in your heart, you do not want to put him to sleep. You will never be able to "cure" him of this behavior, but you can learn to protect yourself and live with it.

Latest posts

Back