WTH????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy77

Reaction score
:censored2:I am just befuddled at what just happened. I let Jay Jay out to run around a little while ago. I was on the couch watching TV and just letting him run. Poop happens, so I went to get a paper towel to clean it up....Then BOOM Jay Jay lunges at me and is in fight mode. What the Heck?? He jumped and almost bit my face, instead he got the side of my arm pit. OUCH I pushed him off of me and he starts to use his feet to like box, he got my face and I have huge marks on my cheek. I push him off again stand up and move towards him a step so I can get a hold of him and put him in his cage. BOOM he bites me again on the thigh. he is like jumping and lunging with teeth and front paws. I finally am able to get him and the minute I go to place my other arm under his rump and BOOM he got me again in the arm...He is still kicking and flailing and he gets me on the finger. I got him in his cage and he now is lunging and biting the NIC, and shaking the carp out of it. I am bleeding and nicely banged up now...

I am bawling in pain and confusion :cry4:I am just a basket case and very shaken up over this...what is going on????

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever had something like that happen before.

Was there maybe something on the TV that scared him? An unusual noise or something?

What about a different smell? Sometimes rabbits can react aggressivly to certain smells.

For now, give him some time to calm down. Then once he seems calm, open his cage again and see how he reacts.

-Dawn

OMG! I'm sorry that I have nothing useful to add in regards to his bad bunny behavior but I just wanted to express my concern. I hope that you are okay. Did you clean the wounds properly before bandaging them? It might be better to leave them un-bandaged for a while once you get the bleeding to stop. It's generally better to flush animal bites with saline and leave them open to breathe. You can buy sterile saline at most drug stores. The brand I buy is called Wound Wash and is located by the burn supplies. I hope that you figure out what happened to make him go psycho on you.

aurora369 wrote:

Was there maybe something on the TV that scared him? An unusual noise or something?
I was watching Ghost Whisperer as usual
What about a different smell? Sometimes rabbits can react aggressivly to certain smells.
Its just me at home right now, so its quiet, and I had just put on my jammies
For now, give him some time to calm down. Then once he seems calm, open his cage again and see how he reacts.
TBH I am kinda scared to even go near him...sorry I must be the worst bunny owner EVER
-Dawn

bengal77 wrote:
OMG! I'm sorry that I have nothing useful to add in regards to his bad bunny behavior but I just wanted to express my concern. I hope that you are okay. Did you clean the wounds properly before bandaging them? It might be better to leave them un-bandaged for a while once you get the bleeding to stop. It's generally better to flush animal bites with saline and leave them open to breathe. You can buy sterile saline at most drug stores. The brand I buy is called Wound Wash and is located by the burn supplies. I hope that you figure out what happened to make him go psycho on you.
Thanks SO much Yes I did was my wounds..its not like they were gushing or anything, but, ya, OUCH. I have neosporin and a band aide on them now. the scratches on my face I just washed up and left

OK, it sounds like they were mostly surface scratches and bites then. You know, I had a similar experience with my cat. She is an indoor only cat and lately she's been trying to escape the house. She succeeded one night and was happily exploring outside. She kept darting away from me and wouldn't let me catch her. Keep in mind that it's 11 pm and I'm in my night clothes traipsing through a neighbor's bushes trying to get close enough to the darn cat before she sees me and runs off for the 7th time. I finally catch her (after standing around their windows hoping they don't see some crazy woman in her pajamas standing in their bushes and call the cops) and start to carry her home. It's just my luck that as I'm walking home with her in my arms some jack@$$ fitness junkie jogs by (it's 11 o'clock at night!), scares the bejeezes out of her, and she scratches my arms and hands to pieces while trying to escape. It's the only thing I can do to keep hold of her so that she doesn't take off. So I finally get her home, get inside, and put her down and ask her what the heck that was all about and she licks her paws and looks up at me like "so?" and trots off. :censored2:

Now why did I tell you that story? Because part of owning an animal is being scratched/bitten every once in a while. Sometimes it's their way of communicating, sometimes they're just scared and want to go hide. With a lot of love and luck it won't happen often. I've owned Gigi (my cat) for 4 years now and I can count on one hand the number of times I have been bitten or scratched. Don't let it discourage you from bonding with your bunny.

I can't tell you why he charged and attacked you because I'm new to rabbits as pets. But don't let one incident discourage you from being a pet owner. There are a lot of rewards that come with owning pets.

So, more seriously.

How old is he?

How long have you had him?

Is this the first time that he has scratched/bitten you in a territorial display (excluding playful nips) ?

Was he rescued or did you get him from a breeder?

Has he been neutered? If yes, how long ago?

Are you using a new laundry detergent/deodorant/perfume/shampoo/body wash/hand soap?

bengal77 wrote:
So, more seriously.

How old is he?
about 8 months old ish

How long have you had him?
6 months

Is this the first time that he has scratched/bitten you in a territorial display (excluding playful nips) ?
No he does bite once in a while...no biggie. he has more recently shown signs of aggression since I gotten another buck...they r kept separately and have no contact and I work hard at not having one scent on me when i am with the other.

Was he rescued or did you get him from a breeder? Breeder

Has he been neutered? If yes, how long ago? Yes Nov 20,2009

Are you using a new laundry detergent/deodorant/perfume/shampoo/body wash/hand soap? Nope, nothing new here
I would like you to understand that i have been battling with his issues for a time now and have taken steps to reach out and ask for help and also read the threads on the issues so I can try to curb habits that he has picked up. I also spend time googling.

He is only aggressive with me and i am not sure why, even tho i am still working on a better bond with him or have been. He and I used to b tight and well as u can see he and I have a different relationship

I dont feel I have changed anything from detergent to how I treat him. Things did change once the new buck came into the picture and I feel I am working diligently to make things right again.

ETA: typing errors

Hey Denise

First off, :hug: :hug: :hug:.

I'm curious... what was your body position when this happened? Where were you located in relation to his position?
Was this an ambush from behind the couch, or???

Any vocalization... grunting? before hand?

Where is the new buck, exactly? Same room?
Is the new buck neutered?

Do you have any cats/dogs that he worries about, or alternately, plays ambush games with?

So sorry you got such a nasty shock, hon. I don't believe it is personal :hug:

After about an hour, see what he does if you put your hand in his cage (that is, if that is a normal, OK movement for him).

Fancy77 wrote:
aurora369 wrote:

TBH I am kinda scared to even go near him...sorry I must be the worst bunny owner EVER
-Dawn
I could see something on the Ghost Whisperer freaking a pet out! I do believe in ghosts, and the possibility that animals sense and see much more than we do. You just never know what set Jay Jay off.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Hey Denise

I'm curious... what was your body position when this happened?UMM...I was bent over picking up poop with my left side to him. he was about 2 feet away from me, I moved about 8 inches to the next few poos and that is when he started.

Where were you located in relation to his position? I am not sure what u mean...sorry

Was this an ambush from behind the couch, or??? Not too sure on this one either but he was under an end table when I walked by him to go pick up the poo

Any vocalization... grunting? before hand? No, nothing at all at any time during either...it happened so fast. My body language was in (for a lack of better words) survival lol I didnt think i was being dominate or anything just defensive

Where is the new buck, exactly? Same room? In a completely different room, that is gated off and Jay Jay cant even get in there, and Monty the other buck doesnt venture out of it

Is the new buck neutered? Not yet he is like 4 months old if memory serves

Do you have any cats/dogs that he worries about, or alternately, plays ambush games with? Nope just the rabbits

So sorry you got such a nasty shock, hon. I don't believe it is personal :hug:

After about an hour, see what he does if you put your hand in his cage (that is, if that is a normal, OK movement for him).
I walked by him once to get where i needed to go and he came up to the cage and stood on his hind legs looking for treats or pets. I pet him gently on the head and he wanted to sniff my hand, but that might b cuz the neosporine :) But he seemed fine, so IDK

I am a farm girl that has had animals all her life and enjoyed their company thoroughly. But I have to say I am nervous about being in he company again. I need some time to get over my fear.

Elf Mommy wrote:
Fancy77 wrote:
aurora369 wrote:

-Dawn
I could see something on the Ghost Whisperer freaking a pet out! I do believe in ghosts, and the possibility that animals sense and see much more than we do. You just never know what set Jay Jay off.
IDK huni but real in person ghosts might just set anyone off the fake TV ones lol who knows lol

It sounds like he is jealous that you got another rabbit and are spending time with him. When he attacked you did you smell like the other rabbit? Perhaps Jay Jay needs to be the one who gets attention first in order to avoid a jealous fit.

Unfortunately, he's likely to repeat this behavior. I've been a victim of this type of sudden, explosive aggression and it's very dangerous.

bengal77 wrote:
It sounds like he is jealous that you got another rabbit and are spending time with him. When he attacked you did you smell like the other rabbit? Perhaps Jay Jay needs to be the one who gets attention first in order to avoid a jealous fit.
Thats how it is...Jay Jay is usually first, just cuz of his location in the house...

Fancy77 wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:
Hey Denise

I'm curious... what was your body position when this happened?UMM...I was bent over picking up poop with my left side to him. he was about 2 feet away from me, I moved about 8 inches to the next few poos and that is when he started.

Where were you located in relation to his position? I am not sure what u mean...sorry

Was this an ambush from behind the couch, or??? Not too sure on this one either but he was under an end table when I walked by him to go pick up the poo

Right, then... that sounds like an ambush... End table is the hiding spot, from which he has an advantage on any perceived "threat". He had the power to surprise, which was what I was wondering.
I walked by him once to get where i needed to go and he came up to the cage and stood on his hind legs looking for treats or pets. I pet him gently on the head and he wanted to sniff my hand, but that might b cuz the neosporine :) But he seemed fine, so IDK

I am a farm girl that has had animals all her life and enjoyed their company thoroughly. But I have to say I am nervous about being in he company again. I need some time to get over my fear.
Well, for a starting solution, try not to touch his poops while he's out from now on... you are removing a territorial marker, and he's obviously taking it the WRONG way!;) LOL!
Most buns, you can pick up poops, but maybe not him??

The other thing I was thinking that he may have been startled by your bent-over position. It is my understanding that buns see us in terms of our shape, hence why they freak if we come into a room carrying a box or something that drastically changes our form. (Somebody pls correct me if I'm wrong...)

If you were crouched over, you weren't in "mom" shape, if ya know what I mean?

I hear Pam saying that this may be a perpetual thing... at this point, it has only happened once, right?

I'm wondering if there is a hostility re-direction strategy that you can use...

hmm... I know that JadeIcing has some experience with hostile buns... I will take a look in the library for you for some more solutions.
:hug:

Lagomorph Library> Bunny 101> Aggression

I don't have any advice for you but wanted you to know I am thinking about you and your bun. I can't imagine how scary and upsetting that would be. I don't blame you for being scared to put your hand in his cage. May be the first time you do it have a treat. Let him smell the treat through the cage so he knows you have it and then put your hand in his cage and give it to him. That would make me feel more comfortable because I know my buns would go for the treat and not me. I have one rabbit that can be aggressive but nothing like that. Good luck. I hope you figure out what set him off so you can prevent it in the future.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Fancy77 wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:
Hey Denise

Well, for a starting solution, try not to touch his poops while he's out from now on... you are removing a territorial marker, and he's obviously taking it the WRONG way!;)
Most buns, you can pick up poops, but maybe not him??

The other thing I was thinking that he may have been startled by your bent-over position. It is my understanding that buns see us in terms of our shape, hence why they freak if we come into a room carrying a box or something that drastically changes our form. (Somebody pls correct me if I'm wrong...)This may be true but my question to you is that why?? I have bent over kneeled down, stood up...everything short of cart-wheels lol in front of him. layed on the floor...I am sure u get the picture I will stop rambling lol Why is this night different?? OK u, or any one might not b able to answer that

If you were crouched over, you weren't in "mom" shape, if ya know what I mean?

I hear Pam saying that this may be a perpetual thing... at this point, it has only happened once, right? Well had lunged at me a lot some days and other days not at all. I have blogged about my ongoing lunging issues. I always have just ignored the behavior as not to make it a reinforced negative behavior

I'm wondering if there is a hostility re-direction strategy that you can use...

hmm... I know that JadeIcing has some experience with hostile buns... I will take a look in the library for you for some more solutions.
:hug:

Lagomorph Library> Bunny 101> Aggression

Latest posts

Back