WTH????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amy27 wrote:
I don't have any advice for you but wanted you to know I am thinking about you and your bun. I can't imagine how scary and upsetting that would be. I don't blame you for being scared to put your hand in his cage. May be the first time you do it have a treat. Let him smell the treat through the cage so he knows you have it and then put your hand in his cage and give it to him. That would make me feel more comfortable because I know my buns would go for the treat and not me. I have one rabbit that can be aggressive but nothing like that. Good luck. I hope you figure out what set him off so you can prevent it in the future.
THX Amy!!! Ya i will have gloves and a craisin lol

Sam's Story

Two ideas I told Denise about....

1)

As stupid as this sounds have a sheet that you can get to at all times when hes out. If he goes at you like that you can toss it over him.

I used to do that to get the bunnies who didn't want to be caged

2)

I have also have had empty laundry baskets I have dropped on them.

Dont ask

That sounds scary! It might be difficult to work out exactly what triggered it. If he's got a history of biting it could be territorial. If it happens again I would get a vet check just to put your mind at rest that there isn't a physical reason for it eg something causing discomfort that makes him more grumpy.

Another thing to think about is how to deal with it if it happens again. Rabbit's fight by latching on with their and kicking each other. When you moved in to pick him up and put him in his cage I think he interpreted that as you joining in the fight so he went in for round two. Once they are in that ramped up focused from of mind they are more likely to bite again.

You need to find a bit of a tricky balance between letting him win and escalating/continuing the fight. If you move away when he bites he knows that works as a method to get you out his way (not something you want him to learn). But if you move forward and try to interact he'll get more wound up. I'd suggest take a step back and standing still giving him a couple of minutes to calm down, then use a carrier to move him so you're not risking further injury.

Bit hard to think when your in the moment though and hopefully he won't repea it anyway.

mistyjr wrote:
I really never heard a rabbit doing this to a human... I hope you can get this figured out
This type of aggression isn't very common. I've only seen it a few times in bucks. I was the "victim" in two of the occasions. The strikes are sudden and violent.

Tough situation. :(

As much as I really want to see people hang in there and continue to deal with the difficult bunnies, if he's physically dangerous and you have small children, that's a different story. You're not running a rabbit rehab.

He may calm down after the other rabbit is neutered, but honestly, if he doesn't, IMO, he's just going to have to live his life without a lot of human interaction, or he's going to have to find another home. As nice as it would be to have him remaining living in bunny heaven where he gets his every wish, it's not always possible.

You may be able to find a rescue situation for him if you're willing to do a 'trade' -- free up the space in a very-rabbit-savvy foster home, or better yet a sanctuary. As nice as a free-run living room may be, I think most rabbits are honestly the happiest in a free-range warren, although his interactions with other rabbits will have to be assessed. But most sanctuaries have 'groups' with dominant bunnies in each.

Finding him an equally human-unfriendly bigger friend to bond with and allowing them both to just live their lives in a big protected space in the backyard maybe another option. (Flemishes aren't going to get too cold with the right set up, like secure fencing around a hutch or converted garden shed). Rescues may get bent out of shape about that idea, but I'm sure there are plenty of big meat bunnies for sale born and raised in small cages, so its obviously a step up for them.

Just some options off the top of my head.

sas :hug:

bengal77 wrote:
It sounds like he is jealous that you got another rabbit and are spending time with him. When he attacked you did you smell like the other rabbit? Perhaps Jay Jay needs to be the one who gets attention first in order to avoid a jealous fit.
jay-jay,-(male)-,fixed or not.??.definately has issues directed at you.//.very territorial--don,t know the environment but his mental adittude was about you...i can relate to some of this bitting,,but this-episode- carried on too long..almost unrealistic of a prey animal..could be a dominate gender thing.//.my brother-in-law told me he liked dogs,,but every dog that ever encountered him,,went for him in a bad way.??-,sincerely- james waller:wave::rose:

PS: I don't have a good video of it, but Pipp will attack my feet when I go to leave *our* room and there's another bunny outside. She'll honk, growl and bite. But she only weighs two pounds and I'm always wearing at least slippers and sweats, so it's just comical.

I have had a number of bunnies coming and going and having a new one through always revs up the territorial behaviour, but I'm noticing that the longer the new bunnies are hanging around, the less she does it.

sas :clover:

oh man i am so sorry , i know how scarry and disheartening it can be when you get by our pets. Charger did this to me once he was in his cage and got his toe caught in the grids i had to get him unstuck and he repaid me by trying to attack me, and boy he can surely jump high, thankfully he was in his pen so he couldnt get at me but he was attacking the side of the cage and trying to get at me cause i was standing over the cage.

Pipp wrote:
PS: I don't have a good video of it, but Pipp will attack my feet when I go to leave *our* room and there's another bunny outside. She'll honk, growl and bite. But she only weighs two pounds and I'm always wearing at least slippers and sweats, so it's just comical.

I have had a number of bunnies coming and going and having a new one through always revs up the territorial behaviour, but I'm noticing that the longer the new bunnies are hanging around, the less she does it.

sas :clover:

Our little "Princess" used to attack white socks. She was outside one day and tried to attack our white horse!

Princess.jpg

james waller wrote:
bengal77 wrote:
It sounds like he is jealous that you got another rabbit and are spending time with him. When he attacked you did you smell like the other rabbit? Perhaps Jay Jay needs to be the one who gets attention first in order to avoid a jealous fit.
jay-jay,-(male)-,fixed or not.??.definately has issues directed at you.//.very territorial--don,t know the environment but his mental adittude was about you...i can relate to some of this bitting,,but this-episode- carried on too long..almost unrealistic of a prey animal..could be a dominate gender thing.//.my brother-in-law told me he liked dogs,,but every dog that ever encountered him,,went for him in a bad way.??-,sincerely- james waller:wave::rose:
Jay Jay is a Male -Neutered on Nov.20,2009

Yes he is only doing this to me...but whether this makes a difference or not I am the sole caretaker...the kids and hubby just have the enjoyment factor.

even tho the smell of my other buck Monty I am sure is in the air so to speak they have never had contact or allowed in each others "rooms"

Is it possible that the new buck being 4 months and approaching the time to be neutered is causing his "attitude"?

They may not be in the same room, and you may not have the other bucksscent on you...but Jay Jay being the first buck may be grumpy about the youngun coming into adolescence and having been neutered in November may be a bit hormonal still...it took our one buck about three months to finally settle down...just a thought...:)

Danielle

tamsin wrote:
That sounds scary! It might be difficult to work out exactly what triggered it. If he's got a history of biting it could be territorial. If it happens again I would get a vet check just to put your mind at rest that there isn't a physical reason for it eg something causing discomfort that makes him more grumpy.

Another thing to think about is how to deal with it if it happens again. Rabbit's fight by latching on with their and kicking each other. When you moved in to pick him up and put him in his cage I think he interpreted that as you joining in the fight so he went in for round two. Once they are in that ramped up focused from of mind they are more likely to bite again.

You need to find a bit of a tricky balance between letting him win and escalating/continuing the fight. If you move away when he bites he knows that works as a method to get you out his way (not something you want him to learn). But if you move forward and try to interact he'll get more wound up. I'd suggest take a step back and standing still giving him a couple of minutes to calm down, then use a carrier to move him so you're not risking further injury.

Bit hard to think when your in the moment though and hopefully he won't repea it anyway.
Vet check...I'm on it he has an appointment today... how I am going to get him there is another thing :)

Tricky Balance I got a chuckle from cuz it seems it is loose- loose, I step forward I am egging the fight on...I step back and I am letting him "win" and be dominate over me, which might b worse in the long run...SO ya Tricky is the Key word

Confusion is my word of the day :)

Runestonez wrote:
Is it possible that the new buck being 4 months and approaching the time to be neutered is causing his "attitude"?

They may not be in the same room, and you may not have the other bucksscent on you...but Jay Jay being the first buck may be grumpy about the youngun coming into adolescence and having been neutered in November may be a bit hormonal still...it took our one buck about three months to finally settle down...just a thought...:)

Danielle
Well Monty is showing no "signs" of puberty...regardless tho Jay Jay has been showing signs of aggression/territory since Monty came

Pipp wrote:
Tough situation. :(

As much as I really want to see people hang in there and continue to deal with the difficult bunnies, if he's physically dangerous and you have small children, that's a different story. You're not running a rabbit rehab. No u r right about that SAS I am a novice comparatively speaking, and yes i have my own 2 kids and I do day care

He may calm down after the other rabbit is neutered, but honestly, if he doesn't, IMO, he's just going to have to live his life without a lot of human interaction, or he's going to have to find another home. As nice as it would be to have him remaining living in bunny heaven where he gets his every wish, it's not always possible. I dont think the neuter did much to his personality anyways

You may be able to find a rescue situation for him if you're willing to do a 'trade' -- free up the space in a very-rabbit-savvy foster home, or better yet a sanctuary. As nice as a free-run living room may be, I think most rabbits are honestly the happiest in a free-range warren, although his interactions with other rabbits will have to be assessed. But most sanctuaries have 'groups' with dominant bunnies in each. Yes but who would want a bunny with this issue?? even tho he doesnt do this to anyone else you never know if it could happen to someone else. I would hate to b considered a bad person for not "fixing" him but also am too scared to try right now, and saying that I feel i am a bad owner. I am beating myself up over this whole situation...What have I done...why has this happened, how could I have been a better owner..ect ect ect. If I give him up am a bad owner if I keep him then he will b treated differently cuz i am a big chicken...what a terrible cycle I have.

Finding him an equally human-unfriendly bigger friend to bond with and allowing them both to just live their lives in a big protected space in the backyard maybe another option. (Flemishes aren't going to get too cold with the right set up, like secure fencing around a hutch or converted garden shed). Rescues may get bent out of shape about that idea, but I'm sure there are plenty of big meat bunnies for sale born and raised in small cages, so its obviously a step up for them. As of right now getting him a mate is not feasible :(

Just some options off the top of my head.

sas :hug:

I have heard of some bunns taking it very personally when their bunn-parents socialize with other bunns!
Oliver LOVES to attack my hubby Tony! :biggrin2:peppers LOVES to lunge at him!
Tucker pees on me!

Tonygets lunged at and bitten on a weekly basis! lol Funny enough...our Oliver looks like your Jay Jay...same colouring butOllie is a nethie!

We tried to divide the nasty bunn duties from the happy bunn duties...I do grooming, nail clippings, meds and litterboxes...he does greens, pellets and morning craisintreats...and still gets bitten! :biggrin2:

I have been trying to decide what it is about him that is different...I think it might a dominance issue...he will flinch, I don't! lol

Hopefully, if it is a jealousy issue, once Jay Jay has had a bit more time to settle his hormones and a bit more time to adjust to the fact that Monty isn't going anywhere he will adjust. Just like humans bunns have adjustment issues sometimes! Instead of keeping their scents away from one another...(he obviously knows there is another buck in the house)...what if you tried exposing them to each others scents...I assume it'll be apocolyptic at first...but it may speed things along too!

Danielle

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
oh man i am so sorry , i know how scarry and disheartening it can be when you get by our pets. Charger did this to me once he was in his cage and got his toe caught in the grids i had to get him unstuck and he repaid me by trying to attack me, and boy he can surely jump high, thankfully he was in his pen so he couldnt get at me but he was attacking the side of the cage and trying to get at me cause i was standing over the cage.
Getting bit has never affected me...it happens, and I am not afraid of that...the whole attack vs just a bite was the kicker for me...

Thx very much for your concern!!!

This was my recent bite wound from a young checkered giant (I still have a scar). He suddenly lunged, latched on, and started kicking the heck out of me. I couldn't get him off!

Luckily, I had my arm wrapped with an Ace bandagethat he bit through. A direct bite would have required stitches.

Back