Wondering about Luna & Patrick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
myheart wrote:
I know this is something I will have to read up on, but that is almost the way Dr. Travis made it sound. At any rate, I will have a toothless old man on my hands some day :(. I don't know what the little guy is going to do without his kale and other greens that he loves so much. At that point, we will have to see how much I worry about him then. I don't think it will be pretty....:?.
I'd love to hear more about this too. And don't worry about the veggies, just throw them in a blender. ;) My vet actually sells frozen packs of blender veggies for tooth-challenged bunnies. They're very appreciative.

For that matter, Pipp always wants me grinding her carrots, even when her teeth are fine. Too much work to chew 'em!

Nose pats to Luna and Patrick! :adorable:

sas :bunnydance:

myheart wrote:
naturestee wrote:
I haven't heard of rabbits "running out of tooth material" before but I have heard of other older buns who just seem to randomly start loosing molars and become more or less toothless.
I know this is something I will have to read up on, but that is almost the way Dr. Travis made it sound. At any rate, I will have a toothless old man on my hands some day :(. I don't know what the little guy is going to do without his kale and other greens that he loves so much. At that point, we will have to see how much I worry about him then. I don't think it will be pretty....:?.

myheart

He can still have all that! My boy Dallas has no teeth and eats everything the others eat. I just have to grind it up. I will take a picture or a video so you can see. :biggrin2:

Horses have the same thing with their teeth. It's like the teeth grow and grow and one day it's like...... "OK BOYS! that's the end of this one!"..... and they stop.

I'm so glad they did well. I love those photos. They always look so cuddly. Do they always lay around like that?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
They always look so cuddly. Do they always lay around like that?

Unfortunately they do... I was so hoping, from Angela's description of Luna, that she would perk Patch up and get him moving again. He used to be such a racer-rabbit in his younger days. It was actually quite difficult to keep track of him while he was doing his bunny-500. :D

Nope, it all went the other way.... Luna was corrupted by Patrick. She is now a slug, just like he is. :(Angela said that she had a difficult time keeping weight on her, now I have a difficult time keeping her weight down. She filled out nicely, but she can't get any bigger.

They are precious when they cuddle though --- a match made in heaven :p.

myheart

JadeIcing wrote:
He can still have all that! My boy Dallas has no teeth and eats everything the others eat. I just have to grind it up. I will take a picture or a video so you can see. :biggrin2:

How old is your little guy? Is he over five or six? When did his teeth start to disappear? I would be interested to know how you mulch everything up for him. Does he eat the concoction out of a dish, or do you feed it to him in another way. I just started to get Patrick eating pumpkin by spreading it on a collard green leaf -- won't take it on any other type of leaf. (picky lil' booger :D) We are working on strawberries now, because the vet said no more grapes and raisins. There is a "chemical" in them that could cause kidneys to fail (especially in dogs). He was actually starting to like a grape for his morning snack .... on to other berries then.

myheart

Blueberries are a favorite here. They're the only fruit that Mocha will eat, the little diva.

There's a lady I know on another site who takes in a lot of elderly rescues and has had some toothless buns. I'll try to get a hold of her for advice on Patrick. You may not even have to blend his veggies for him, it might be enough to finely shred them so he can just gum them.

Patrick:
DirtyOldMan.gif

Let's see if I am able to finally post... Mylaptop decided it was time to update and restart just as I was finishing my post.:XSo let's start from the beginning again....

This past week end was very nerve-wracking... Ms. Luna started having tummy troubles on Thursday. By Friday she had only eaten her piece of carrot and pellets, no greens. Very much not like her!!! By Saturday she had only eaten her carrot, no pellets or greens. So I decided to start calling vets, as well as Naturestee to keep her posted on her first foster-bun, to get my ducks in a row in caseLuna needed emergency care over the weekend. My vet here in Manitowoc, Dr. Gobal, was unavailable and another vet would have been on call who wasn't comfortable with rabbits. So I tried Sheboygan, and Dr. Travis called me back later in the afternoon. He was so nice and asked all of the right questions to diagnose her tummy troubles. He prescribed a double-dose of bene-bac, which will now be a staple in my emergency bunny kit, sunshine, fresh air, and exercise. Looking back, I think her tummy wasn't feeling good for a while longer because Luna's hairs felt coarse and looked dull a week or two ago. I remember petting her one day and thinking, "What happened to your beautiful blue coat?"

Anyhow, this is where the picture part of the program is!!! Sunny-bunnies!!!! I am not sure if this was Luna's first time out in the grass, but she definitely enjoyed sniffing the air. Angela said she had no idea about Luna's past owner and where she was kept, so I might be safe in assuming this was Luna's first experience with the wilds of a back yard.

P7051045-1.jpg

Strike a pose....:D

P7051046-1.jpg

P7051047-1.jpg

Same pose, different angle. She stayed that way for the longest time (in rabbit time that is).

P7051048-1.jpg

P7051049-1.jpg

Time for my close-up...

P7051050-1.jpg

Sunny-bunny butt...

P7051052-1.jpg

Then I brought out Mr. Patrick for some sun and to hopefully get Luna to play.

P7051051-1.jpg

P7051054-1.jpg

I would have taken more pictures of Patrick, but I think all of the air and grass-digging made him feel rather amorous. So, instead of playing with Luna to get her to hop around, he let her sit there so he could lay all of his special lovin' on her. Poor girlie, having tummy troubles and a love-monkey on her back.

Luna was feeling so much better by Monday morning. All of her greens were gone in the morning and she just seemed happier. It is Wednesday now, and her coat is back to being soft and shiny, I wish all of you could feel her beautiful blue coat. I have been working mornings of late, but have off today and was witness to all of their bunny-fun. I haven't seen Luna be so adventurous in such a while, that I couldn't believe she was the same bun. She seemed to be feeling so much more relaxed going through the house with such grace and ease. My heart felt ten times lighter, like I was finally doing something right for her. I am tearing-up just writing about how much better she is because the change is that noticeable. I guess sometimes all of the panic is worth it.

By the way, I found out on Monday that my vet in Manitowoc, Dr. Gobal, was away for a one-day seminar on rabbits at the Vet School Hospital in Madison. She learned a lot of new information and actually had lab-time in the afternoon to practice some of the procedures discussed in lecture. She is very excited about everything she learned and is feeling a bit better about being the resident bunny-doctor. She has also gained more resources and contacts for her own questions about bunnies. She wants to bring in bunny-meds and Critical Care products while she builds up her bunny clientele. She was more than willing to order more bene-bac for me and if she succeeds in getting some Critical Care into the clinic, that will be the only clinic in Manitowoc County to carry it. I know, I called everywhere, even to surrounding areas only to find that most clinics never heard of the product. I even told her about the vet tech at her clinic who said that they have never seen or heard of a bunny dying from GI shut-down. We both had a little laugh because she knows as well as I do that most people are just going to bury poor bun-bun in the back yard when all is said and done. So many people to educate, so little time...!

I think that was all I wanted to update on the Patch and Luna blog. The only other thingI wanted to add was to warn everyone about Naturestee. She is pure evil when it comes to getting things her way;)!! She even pulls out the baby-bunny card when all else fails. You may have seen her post in the Rescue Me topic about a mini fuzzy lop at the Sheboygan shelter. Naturestee actually had the nerve to promise a baby-bunny visit if I went to Sheboygan this Saturday to help remove mats and get her combed out. How evil is that...? I am warning all of you, don't fall into her traps. Keep an eye out for all of her tricks especially when it comes to buns in need. That being said, I am going down to Sheboygan to get a baby-bunny fix :p. Oh, and to help a bun in need....:?And, no, bun-in-need is not coming back with me no matter how cute she is or how cute the babies are!!! I am putting my foot down on that one!!!

Take Care All,

myheart

Myheart, I don't know if you know this chain, but the pet store "Animart" also sells critical care in their small animals department. They also sell "Peter's boutique bunnies" which are bred by Marshall Farms, so I don't really like to buy stuff there, but they do sell it here. There's one here in Madison, and also in Beaver Dam.

http://animart.com/pages.php?pageid=31

ETA: aw geez, i didn't realize how far away you live! well, i'll leave that info up if you want to drive 2h to get critical care!:shock:

They are so precious! Theres nothing better than pics of bunnies (especially dutch bunnies) in the sun. Their coats always look so beautiful in natural light. Gorgeous!

Im so glad to hear Luna is doing ok. I know how scary GI problems can be, especially on a holiday weekend (which is when it always seems to happen).

Give the slugs both a kiss from me. My two dutches are pretty lazy as well (about 99% of their day is spent snuggling) ;)

Haley wrote:
Give the slugs both a kiss from me. My two dutches are pretty lazy as well (about 99% of their day is spent snuggling) ;)

I was going to add this picture that I took of Patch and Luna, and then I saw your post. Talk about lazy and snuggly with each other...

Like I said, I have been working so many mornings of late that I miss out on all of their cute morning snuggles. I managed to catch this one with Patrick's baby-doll. I was very surprised when I saw them and had to run upstairs to get my camera because they were laying side-by-side with baby-doll squashed in the middle. What really surprised me was that they moved baby-doll to the position she is in in the picture. Don't know what that is all about, but baby-doll became the object of mutual affection and cuddles.

P7081069-1.jpg

I was so hoping that Patrick would lay back down in the same position he was in when I first caught them cuddling, but he went and laid by Luna after I took the picture. Why can't they just hold their positions long enough for slow people like me to get the camera ready for pictures? A mystery never to be solved....:?

Thanks Tonyshuman for the link, but Madison is far enough away that I don't get there often. I wish I could live there because the few times I did go there, I always thought it seemed so clean and lots of activities going on. If my vet couldn't order the bene-bac, I could still drive to Sheboygan, about forty minutes, to the vet clinic Patch and Luna get their dentals doneat. They also carry the Critical Care, but it is the licorice flavor. No apple flavor in stock at this time, I asked Dr. Travis when talking with him on Saturday.

Blessing to all cuddly bunnies. Sometimes being lazy has it's merits....

myheart

I just love that last picture. Cuddly buns! Does Patrick still snuggle with his stuffed friend much or does he give most of his affection to Luna?

So wierd that they only have licorice flavored Critical Carein Sheboygan. They gave me the apple flavor when I first brought Luna in.

Hmm, I've already used the baby bunny card. Now what do I use to make you put up pictures of your foster bunny Katie?

Hi Naturestee,

Thought I might not get a reply fora while since I already told you that I posted about your evil tricks. ;)

Every once in a while I will catch Patrick grooming his baby-doll. I wonder if that is something I should watch for prior to his showing outward signs of not feeling well. After I called you about his tummy noises, I watched him for a while and noticed he really didn't go after his noon salad. I decided to call Sheboygan again and was fortunate to talk with Dr. Travis, again. I told him that I already gave Patrick a dose of bene-bac because I knew it wouldn't hurt anything if I did. He said that I needed to give more in the evening along with exercise and tummy rubs. He said he was afraid of a cecum blockage and wants to see Patrick tomorrow if he doesn't start eating.

So I set up the new exercise pen, with one on order for more exploring space, took the little man outside, and watched him dig up my yard. His activities much have started some thing moving because he started doing a lot of stretches. So after finding out that no vet in my area carries bene-bac, I had to take a road-trip to Sheboygan anyhow. I made it back in time to watch Patrick nibbling on a bit of salad although it is probably not enough. I grabbed my towel and the the tube of bene-bac and gave the little guy his dose for the evening. He really likes the stuff!!!:DHe was chewing on the end trying to get more out. So I started to rub his tummy and I could feel rumbling inside. It was the strangest thing to be able to feel an actual rumble pass through his little tummy. I was able to bring him outside one more time for exercise where he decide to eat a bunch of weed things. So at least he ate something. Tonight will tell if we have to make a vet run tomorrow or not. He is still perky and wants to clean himself, but I don't think there is that much lee-way anymore at his age.

The clinic probably sold out of the good flavor of Critical Care (apple) and just has the licorice left. They probably have to try to sell it off before they are able to order more.

Katie pictures are coming soon. I think I will have to get Patrick over this hump before I will be able to start something new. If you really need to see who she is, just look at my avatar. :pI know I should have used a Patch and Luna pic, but Katie just looks so photogenic in that picture that I couldn't resist.

Time to check on my little boy. I hope every one will feel better at the same time soon. I now have great empathy for any of you, like Jenk and TreasuredFriends, who have multiple rabbits that require special care everyday. The extra energy it takes to guess what is wrong with the babies 24/7 must be exhausting. My hat is off to all of you for doing everything in your power to make their little worlds better. Lots of hugs for special people like you!!!:D

myheart

Woohoo!!!! We made it through the night and all veggies were gone this morning!!! The little guy felt so good this morning, he gave me so many circles and hums I couldn't help but be impressed with his enthusiasm and cheerful attitude. Patrick is so handsome when he is being extra loving :p. He definitely is my little guy! I do not know what I would do without him anymore. I dread to think of it :(.

I think this past weekend and week have brought Patrick, Luna, and I much closer together. Sometimes there is that resistance when a new member enters the household because they are "just not the same". But after seeing Luna in a new light, where she seems much more relaxed and at ease, she has truly taken a much bigger space in my heart. I am able to see more of the love Patrick holds for her as his bond-mate and maybe that is because I feel closer to her now. Love does take time, but once it develops, nothing will break the bond.

myheart

Glad he's doing so well... awwwww. I miss humming and circling boys :)
AND, that picture of them next to the stuffy is just beautiful. It's one of those genuine heart-melting pictures that bring you up from a bad mood.

Patrick sounds a lot like my foster-boy Nigel. Nigel is also a tort dutch and when I come downstairs and say his name he runs in circles, jumping, binkying and humming. Its so cute!

I love dutch bunnies :)

Thank you so much :D. I will pass on any compliments and head strokes to Patch and Luna. I really do not know what I would do if I didn't have Mr. Patrick. I can just tell those days that he if feeling extra happy I am bound to get my share of circles. What a nice way to tell some one you love them...:pHe seems to know what days I need his circles the most. Thursday morning he did so many of them to show me how good he was feeling, I thought he would make himself all dizzy. Patch is such a love and always open to getting rubs. I know I will never find another bun like him, unfortunately. But Ms. Luna-Belle is making wonderful strides in bonding with me. I think she is comfortable with coming to me for safety when we go outside for exercise. I like the attention she shows me and it makes me feel like she trusts and needs me.

I might have to get one of each breed to say that Dutch buns are my most favorite. But I guess I will have to save that notion until I get my monster bunny-house in the country. So I guess for now I will have to say that I love my Patch and Luna to pieces because I belong to them.:p

myheart

I just had to add a few more pictures because I finally opened the box to my new SLR camera I purchase a few months ago. Not sure why I haven't tried to use it before, but I am kind of diggin' it now. I need a ton more practice with it because many shots were a little blurred as you will see in the pictures of Patrick. I am only posting them because I took action shotsof him. So, yes I know the pics are out of focus, but see how graceful my little guy is.

The first picture is the best one I took for clarity as well as content. As I mentioned before, taking Luna outside has been the best thing in the world for both of us. Luna just seems to bloom every time I take her out. She gives me a bit more of who she is. So to date, this is one of my nicest pictures of my little girl because this is her in her glory :D:p.

P7130068-1.jpg

P7130086-1.jpg

P7130087-1.jpg

P7130088-1.jpg

P7130089-1.jpg

P7130090-1.jpg

I can't wait for another exercise pen to come in. The buns will have three pens worth of space to run in at that point. Patrick is becoming an ol' pro at being outside with the digging, eating roots, and running. The only thing is that the fresh air makes him more amorous toward Luna. The poor girl can't seem to get any running in because of Patrick always trying to hug on her. She is so good to him... tolerating his nasty little boy ways.

Hopefully I will have nicer pictures to post in the future as I get better and more comfortable with using this camera. Sometimes, point and click isn't the worst.

myheart

Back