Wondering about Luna & Patrick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I probably have ten thousand other things to be doing right now, but aside from not having a life, I need to keep myself out of the fridge because that is all that come to mind at this point of the weekend. I know I should go out for a walk, but it looks blustery out there even though the sun is shining.

So I will take this opportunity to post some pictures of Patch and Luna hanging out together. The pictures are all in sequence and I know Patrick doesn't look much different from one picture to the next, but Luna just cracks me up. She just enjoys her guy so much and her eyes just show it.

Just settled in for morning nap-time...
P5200914-1.jpg

Hmmmm... Something's up...
P5200917-1.jpg

Man....!!! There she is with that camera again!!!!

P5200918-1.jpg

Don't you come any closer, or I'll...

P5200921-1.jpg

It's okay, Honey, she seems to be backing off.

P5200922-1.jpg

Now, where were we...?

P5200927-1.jpg

Luna is just so precious with Patrick. Like I always say, it was just fate to find Luna at the "right" time. I will never be able to thank Naturestee and TreasuredFriends enoughfor allowing me to bring Luna into my household for Patrick to love on.

myheart

Bo: I think they do a fair job of protecting each other. Luna is becoming much more brave around the cats, especially when she charges them. Patrick always keeps an eye out for her safety as well, and charges when he feels it is necessary to back a cat down. I could only hope that others have as much luck as I have had with bonding because it really is "romantic" and peaceful to see two bunners hanging out together. Luna is also becoming much more relaxed because she stretches out more often, even when they are not cuddling up together. I am very happy to report that Luna is really coming into her own.

Thanks Julie, I enjoy watching your videos of Baxter! as well. He is one handsome guy and lucky he found you for his slave. Don't worry about being neurotic about all of his little quirks. I am usually such a basket case also if something doesn't look "right." That is what I really wanted to post about -- how lucky I am to have been introduced to the forum by Naturestee.

I came home from work yesterday and Patrick just looked funny/strange with the way he was laying on the floor. So I had to go through my mental checklist of he was and was-not doing. I decided on gassy tummy because his tummy was pressed to the floor as described by others in their posts. I found the bottle of symethicone, gave him a dose, and rubbed his tummy. Within an hour he had poo'd and was off and running again looking for Luna to give her a big "I feel better 'hug'". Such a crazy little man...:D

So I need to extend a great big "Thank You" to every one who has posted about their bunnies having gassy tummies. It makes the signs and symptoms easier to recognize for a faster treatment. Whew, that was an easy one...;)

myheart

I hope this doesn't sound too strange or mean, because I don't intend for what I am about to write to seem that way.

I have been reading many of the posts in Rainbow Bridge and I feel so bad for every one who has recently lost their babies to whatever causes with some being "avoidable" to some degree, and other causes being absolute mysteries. As I read through these posts I am more aware of how badly I feel for Benjamin's passing on Good Friday of this year. His passing is what prompted me to seek out and adopt Luna from Naturestee and TreasuredFriends.

Benjamin was a big black bunny who loved and cared for Maggie, my heart-bunny. He adored her so much --- every morning he would hop out into the living room first, being younger than Maggie. Maggie would finally make her way out, and Benjamin would jump out of nowhere and just start cleaning her face as if to say, "Good Morning Maggie!!! I missed you so much during the night!!!!" This happened everyday until Maggie passed away two years ago at Christmas time.

Benjamin and Patrick did come to terms with being able to form a bond which was nice in the respect that I didn't have to run two sets of single bunnies anymore. Both boys could spend the whole day together with full run of the house. But there was a part of me that resented the bond because Benji belonged to Maggie.

Does it sound bad to say that I am okay with Benji's passing because he is with Maggie again? A few weeks before he passed, Benj and Patch were really getting into grooming each other much more than ever before. It was sweet and I was actually starting to accept the bond a bit better. Then Benji passed away, which seemed an absolute surprise because he didn't seem sick. Patrick tried to get my attention to tell me something was wrong with Benj, but I thought Patrick was just doing his cute "bunny things" that he does. Benj passed away a few hours later...

I always tell myself that I would not have actively sought out Luna if Patrick had not experienced a bond with another bunny. I am probably right with part of thinking that. But I also think that I am able to give Patrick his own mate because Maggie has her mate back. I was so crushed by Maggie's passing that Benjamin was always such a constant reminder of her. I loved Benjamin, don't get me wrong, but he was for Maggie. Maggie was all of mine until I adopted Benji and he stole her from me.

This is what I hope doesn't sound strange, and I guess I want to know if other experienced the same thing. It seems easier to let go of Maggie now that Benjamin is gone also. I know that Benjamin is running up to her every morning at Rainbow Bridge and kissing her up to tell her how much he loves her. She has her protector and husbund back and now I don't have to worry about her, or Benj, anymore.

I can move on and enjoy Luna and Patrick's relationship because they are meant to be together. I could have decided not to get Patch a girlfriend and left him a single guy. I mean, I was on the Petfinder that same weekend that Benjamin passed, which doesn't seem right in the least because I should have grieved for him more. I know Patrick grieved for his loss, he was so out of it and despondent. But, like I said, Benjamin was Maggie's, not Patrick's or even mine. That is why I say all of this was fate -- Benji's passing and Luna being an olderDutch and living forty minutes away available at that moment in time.

Binky free Benjamin and Maggie!!! I love and miss you so much, but it is time for Patch, Luna, and myself to move on.

myheart

myheart, sending out good vibes for the couple and their molar grinds with Dr. Travis this Friday. I hope Patch's time with his lady love Luna won't be shortened by surgery, if surgery is absolutely needed. Exposing cancer cells to oxygen and their resulting growth is something I never heard about.

Their photos together = major romantic swoons.

Your story about Benji and Maggie made sense to me. :love:
:hug:
Thanks for opening up to share those feelings.

I completely understand. Sometimes it's more peaceful knowing that since they were missing their mate so badly - that they wanted to go too. I have honestly seen that in people as well. They don't have a life when they lose their spouse of many years.. it's so sad.

Everything happened as it should and I know in my heart that Luna was yours way before we all knew she was. You can see/feel that match with Patrick. It's like they've always been together!

Luna & Patrick are definite Soul Mates!! You've been lucky to have so many animal loves in your life - I envy you (they must pickup something from you to bond and fall in love so easily - so you have the matchmaking animal gift - :)).

I believe animals can die from a broken heart but I think I would always try after one mate died to find them happiness again in another if they were up to it. Your story reminded me of the Disney movie "Where the Redfern grows" about the 2 retrievers who were either brother/sister or mates and similiar ending..

Whatever your doing keep it up (along with the photos of L&P..

Thanks Bo and Julie for understanding about Benjamin. I really do feel bad for his loss, but he does belong to Maggie forever and always now.

I am a bit nervous about tomorrow. Patch an Luna have another molar grind appointment, this time I just drop them off and go about doing my own thing instead of waiting for them. Luna's teeth are worse than Patrick's, but I wanted to keep them on the same schedule for travel and scheduling purposes. As far as I know, Dr. Travis will perform the grinding himself so I am certain he will make sure Patrick's lump is no different in size or if is attaching to anything else in his tummy. So I am crossing my fingers that all will go well and the call will only be for me to come pick them up all safe and sound.

Before I forget, I want to post a picture of Luna that turned out rather well, I must say. Also one of Patch being a sunny-bunny, and of course a together picture.

P5230938-1.jpg

P5230937-1.jpg

P6010953-1.jpg

Well, here's to hoping that a routine procedure will be just that, routine. I think I worry about Patrick more just because he is six years old. He is a little grandpa bunny, and these procedures must take a bit more for him than Luna. He is a tough little guy with many more "hugs" to bestow upon his girl yet. He'll do fine...

myheart

Patrick and Luna are just so precious. I cant get enough of them.

Im sorry you have had such difficult losses in the past. I havent had to go through that yet and I cant imagine how painful it is to lose your heart bunny. At least you know they are together again- i really believe that.

And Im so glad to hear that Patrick's little bout of gas was taken care of quickly. Gas can be so scary! I think we are all so blessed to have this forum and share our experiences.

I'll be thinking of the furkids tomorrow and hoping everything goes ok!

Haley

Tomorrow is dental day already? Best of luck for them! I'll be working till 10 pm but I should be able to check this site. Start a thread or pm me with any questions.

I think they'll do ok, even Patrick. Six isn't really *that* old. 10 I'd be a bit more concerned about. I think Patrick just likes acting like a grandpa bunny, so he can be a dirty old man, LOL!

Luna and Patrick are just SO much in love! I love the photos you get of them - they are priceless.. I'll be checking tomorrow to see how the Vet visit goes so PLEASE make sure to update as soon as you can - I'm sure Patrick will do very well (and hope the lump is still just the "lump), but know you are nervous about it - just look to Luna for strength!

naturestee wrote:
Six isn't really *that* old. 10 I'd be a bit more concerned about. I think Patrick just likes acting like a grandpa bunny, so he can be a dirty old man, LOL!
Some days he does tend to be quite amorous. Usually on Sundays he just can't seem to get enough "hugs" in on Luna. Poor Luna!!:?Do you think he knows its the weekend? ;)

I was privy to some half-binkies this morning. Patrick must have been having some dreams about her last night and couldn't wait to see herthis morning. They both did little dances for each other, and Patrick spent a lot of time showing off his butt. Kind of like, "Sniff on this, it'll drive you wild.":DLuna was such a lady about it though... She did her little half-binkies to avoid any major hugging andPatch must have been so impressed with the show, he forgot about pursuing the situation any farther and went to check out her cage instead. If only the guys in the bars would take the hint to leave as well as he did. ;)

Well, time to get dressed, run through my checklist of things to bring (extra hay and pellets as I don't know what time they will be having their grindings done at), and get packed up to go.

myheart

myheart wrote:
I was privy to some half-binkies this morning. Patrick must have been having some dreams about her last night and couldn't wait to see herthis morning.

Aww Patrick sounds adorable.

Do they not share the same cage? I thought they were fully bonded, no?

Haley wrote:
myheart wrote:
I was privy to some half-binkies this morning. Patrick must have been having some dreams about her last night and couldn't wait to see herthis morning.

Aww Patrick sounds adorable.

Do they not share the same cage? I thought they were fully bonded, no?

Oh yes Haley,Patrick and Lunaarebonded. I like to keep them in their own cages for the night only to keep an eye on what they eat and how much "output" each one has. Luna is such a little eating machine, that I would have no idea of what Patrick wouldeat if they were housed together. During the day, they have full run of the house together and one communal pile of greens to pick from. That was when I noticed that Luna has quite the appetite, so I started making a separate little pile of a few leaves just for Patrick to make sure that he gets enough during the day.

myheart

Whew!! Every one did very well for their molar grinds. Luna's teeth were done just at the right time, pointed, but not out of hand. Patrick gets spurs that go in other directions than straight up or down. A bit more difficult to trim down, but he did well with it all. I have to read up on rabbit teeth -- Dr. Travis said that Patrick is almost to the point of outliving his teeth. Huh?!!!! :?Apparently, rabbits only have so much tooth material (per tooth) and when they grow they use up that material. When the tooth is done growing, it is gone (or something). I don't know if the last remaining bit falls out or something, but the doctor basically said that Patrick won't have to worry about getting grindings done soon enough. My poor little boy is going to be a toothless dirty old man. I'll have to check into bunny-dentures or something...:?

Patrick's lump seems to be the same. No change in shape or size from what the doctor could tell. I felt bad for the vet tech though. I think I drove her nuts with, "If the lump is bigger then do x-rays and blood tests if Dr. Travis wants to. But if there is no change, just do the molar grind on Patrick. But then call me if something happens..." Yup, every one's worst nightmare, the indecisive person who hinges every thing on other things. Why do I do that to these poor people? Anyhow, Dr. Travis agrees so far that we will just monitor the lump for any changes because of his age and because there is no change at this point. He did recommend some Prozyme to help Patrick with his digestion. The Bene-Bac helped, but he thinks that the digestive enzymes will help even more, especially as Patrick's teeth disappear.

Anyhow, my babies did well for their procedures. They have already munchedon their afternoon snacks and are taking naps. I should know better than to worry, but it does become habit. Any appointment for a procedure, versus a check-up, seems to be the right time to worry.

myheart

I'm glad Patrick's eating and doing well! I knew Luna would have eaten already.;) I'm really glad to hear the infamous lump is behaving itself for the moment. I haven't heard of rabbits "running out of tooth material" before but I have heard of other older buns who just seem to randomly start loosing molars and become more or less toothless. I guess it's good for Patrick in a way since then he won't have to be anesthetized for dental work all the time. He'll just have to get used to eating mushed-up pellets.

Nose rubs to both of them!

naturestee wrote:
I haven't heard of rabbits "running out of tooth material" before but I have heard of other older buns who just seem to randomly start loosing molars and become more or less toothless.
I know this is something I will have to read up on, but that is almost the way Dr. Travis made it sound. At any rate, I will have a toothless old man on my hands some day :(. I don't know what the little guy is going to do without his kale and other greens that he loves so much. At that point, we will have to see how much I worry about him then. I don't think it will be pretty....:?.

myheart

Back