Watson and Cricket

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first week in a whole month that the bunnies haven't gone in to the vet. Cricket has decided that her raspberry flavored Doxycycline tastes good and will now willingly lick it off the end of the syringe. The trick now is keeping Watson away.
They both like hopping up on the plastic storage containers under my desk and then onto my desk chair. I stared leaving my chair pulled farther out (I usually study on my bed) so they can't hop up onto my desk. Cricket learned to jump straight from the rug onto the chair. She spent about a half our scoping it out first and now she jumps up there all the time just to look around. Watson can't figure out how to jump that high so he just stares at her from the ground.

I think the nebulizing is really helping her feel better too. She seems to perk up afterward.

Glad to hear she´s doing so well and hope the improvement continues. Can imagine her looking at him from up there, she´s such a clever little girl.

These wabbits are totaly crazy this morning. Today Watson figured out how to reach the desk chair from the ground, then they both spent the morning hopping up onto the desk until I scolded them (there are unprotected cords up there, but not on the ground.

Then while I was lying in bed reviewing some powerpoints on my laptop, a certain little princess bunny leapt up onto my legs. They're not allowed on the bed either (because I don't trust them not to pee on it and also because I've see the way they bite and dig at their beds and I like my comforter more than that).

If they keep up with this, they basically won't be able to come out of their cage unless I'm in my room watching them. If only they could be aware of the consequences ahead of time.

lol! I also think that females are more nippy this time of year since it's breeding season no? atleast that's from what I've read. I don't know if it's because I'm paying closer attention to her but I've noticed Phoenix is digging like crazy lately, that and nipping me like mad!

Crazzzy bunnies!

Well both of my bunnies are spayed/neutered so those hormones shouldn't be an issue. I think they're just spoiled.

Apparently if they're spayed it's more of a habitual thing rather than hormones. Phoenix was 3-4 years of age when I found her so it's quite possible..

The bunners went back in to the vet today. The vet agreed that Cricket seems to be improving which is exciting news. I'd noticed some mild discharge with Watson although he is not sneezing, so we did a culture and sensitivity on him to send in and we'll see what comes back.
I also had him feel a lump I discovered on Cricket's left hind foot. I noticed it one day when we finished with the nebulizing and at first I thought she'd broken her foot, but after feeling it and setting her down and watching her act perfectly normal, I decided maybe it was just an old injury that she had when I got her but that I hadn't noticed before. I was also worried about an abscess but it seemed so firmly attached to the bone (I also considered osteosarcoma, but did some research and learned that was very rare in rabbits). He agreed with my hunch that it was an old injury that had just healed strangely and I'll just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger. Sadly the radiographs we had done didn't include her feet because I was holding on to them.

Tonight I was very excited because we had a small mammal nutrition dinner talk by an Oxbow veterinarian. I won some oxbow treats as a prize and apparently impressed him with my ability to rattle off a long list of grass hay varieties. We don't get to talk about rabbits much in our regular curriculum so I (along with the other crazy rabbit girls) was really excited to get a chance to talk bunnies.

I feel the need to record for posterity that the Oxbow Vet asked if I was a little redneck when he asked about types of grass hay. The room as a whole got timothy, orchard and meadow and I rattled off coastal, brome, bermuda, oat, barley and wheat. He was surprised when I responded that I had grown up in Los Angeles.

Hahaha. You just know your hays! I can't believe he asked you if you were a redneck, thats hilarious.
I'm glad that Cricket seems to be on the mend! That is exciting news!

I'm happy to hear Crickets is doing better. And why can't you know grass just because your from LA. I mean hello LA is full of meadows and parks LOL.

It´s always nice to impress someone....it is funny that he was surprised you knew so many hay types...well, these bunnies can sometimes be a bit fussy and you need to try them all.

Great that Cricket is doing so well.

Watson's culture and sensitivity finally came back. The only bacteria that he and Cricket had in common was the Moraxella, but that was also the one with the most growth. Luckily his were not very resistant either (the other two were penicillin resistant, but everything else was sensitive). We're starting him on doxycycline as well now. I did hear him sneexe a few times this weekend but she's clearly worse off than he is. I'd just like to nip his illness in the bud.

Oh, that last photo is adorable, I can´t believe they sat ine bucket so well and with just their little faces peeking over the top. They make such a lovely bunny couple.

Just a quick update. I haven't been around too much since I've been busy with school but I do check in the nutrition and behavior and infirmary forums regularly.
Watson is now off antibiotics as he seems to be symptom free. Cricket is still sneezy so she's still on the doxycycline. Of course, Watson gets jealous and so he has to get a treat whenever she gets antibiotics.

Here's a picture of the two of them relaxing in their cage. They door has been open all afternoon but they're busy lounging around. They get all their binkies out in the morning when they run laps around my room.
IMG_5678.jpg

I was so glad to see you post and the buns look gorgeous as usual. They are such a lovely couple and glad to see that Watson is now off the meds and Cricket is stable. They both do look in the best of health. Great to hear about them again.

Yay, I was happy when I saw your new post! :) I'm glad Watson is off of his medications. I'm sorry Cricket is still sick, hopefully Crickets sneezes will clear up soon. The new picture was cute! I can't wait for more updates!

Last edited:
Back