Watson and Cricket

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The funny thing is that her picture is still up on the rescue's website, but... nobody else can have her; she's staying here! They seem to have had a great night together and were excited for their out time and breakfast this morning. I was worried that Watson would hog the pellets so I pulled the dish out of the cage (it's plenty big enough for two heads) and set it on the rug. I just put half the pellets in so that if she didn't come and eat I could feed her separately. Watson ran over when he heard the pellets hit the dish and had only gotten a few mouthfuls in when Cricket came to join him.

Now, if only I could get her to take pellets out of my hand like he does.

In other news, Tuesday night on my way home from school I found a stray dog. By found I mean I saw it following some people and thought, "oh, that's a cute dog" then after it turned around I realized it wasn't theirs. It was at a pretty busy intersection and very cute so I had to stop. I pulled my leash out of my trunk (yes, like a good vet student I carry leashes) and spent some time in the parking lot trying to get it to come over to me. At one point I even touched her, but then she wouldn't get within about 5 feet of me.

image[2].jpg

I'd invested enough time in her that I wasn't going to give up. I went into the CVS and bought some pupperoni and some juicy canned food and returned to her patch of grass. I tossed pieces of pupperoni at her until I could grab her and get the leash on her at which point she flipped upside down.

image[1].jpg

Of course at this point the folks at the bus stop were staring at me. I was worried she was going to decide to bite me, but I picked her up and carried her to my car. I considered taking her home since my roommate was actually looking for a foster dog, but on Wednesday I had to be at school from 8am-7pm, certainly not a good day to have a new dog in the house. Instead I made it to the shelter right before they closed.

image.jpeg

Later that night my roommates gave me a hard time since she was so cute and this is, of course, a kill shelter. I reasoned that she was cute enough and young enough (I estimated 1 year) that she'd be pretty adoptable. And, in my mind it's better to be humanely euthanized at the shelter than to be hit by a car on the streets of Pomona. The next day I told my PBL (problem based learning) group about it and after I showed her picture, my faculty facilitator expressed some interest in adopting her. I've sent him her info and am hopeful that he'll end up picking her up.

http://www.ivhsspca.org/index.php/c...-find-dogs/10761-sandy-i1174732?directory=126

You sound just like me. I carry a leash and dog treats in the car with me too. We live in an area where there are constantly dogs on the side of the road, either people let them go or they run off. Its the trouble with living in the farm lands. But anyway, I've captured many-a-dog off the side of the road. The terrible thing is, here, the HUMANE society is choosy with the dogs they take. They only take purebred-looking small dogs. They will not accept large dogs, or mixed breeds. So they all wind up at the shelter. The few I have caught, have been lucky enough to make it to homes.
Hopefully that little adorable pup gets adopted! She's precious.

How good of you to take the time to do that, she´s a lucky girl. I hope she finds someone to give her a new home, she´s a lovely looking dog.

Hadn´t thought about carrying the leash in the car but may do that. I remember when I caught a small shiztu running about outside where I live and that is a busy road. She was clean and obviously belonged to someone but had no collar. A young lad started trying to catch her and we both finished. As he had to go to work, I ended up taking her to the local shelter and she was chipped so they were able to return her to her owners...thank goodness.

Aww what a sweetie! She seems pretty "adoptable" to me too. I'm sure her chances are good. Imhave the same thought process too, Christina, that if it SHOULD come to euthanasia, that's more humane than car accident or starving or being attacked by something (depending on their size).
I came upon a stray a couple weeks ago. He/she was a little shiz*zhu (sp? RO blocked my original spelling attempt, haha) type dog, looked ragged and dirty. So I go up to her to try and find a collar or capture her and she tried to attack me! She was a tiny little thing but growled and ran after me. I took off! She was a mean little bugger!

I am used to handling less-than-friendly dogs. It would have mostly been the embarrassment factor of a bunch of strangers watching my attempts to haul a tiny aggressive dog away.

Morgan, unfortunately a lot of no-kill shelters are that way. A lot of my classmates that grew up elsewhere are always appalled by things like animals "only" getting 3-6 days at a shelter for their owner to find them before becoming available for adoption (and eligible for euthanasia). In contrast, I grew up in Los Angeles and spent my high school years volunteering with LA Animal Services. In the last 15 years, they have made leaps and bounds in reducing the numbers of animals they take in by increasing spay and neuter rates in the area and increasing the cooperation with rescue groups, but we still have a long way to go before we reach their goal of "No Kill LA." I've seen animals like fractious cats come in that are clearly not adoptable and yet they still have to spend 4 days in a cage before they are allowed to be euthanized. We simply don't have the money to spend on it.

Over the past week my computer died on me twice. The first time it would only start in safe mode so I backed everything up that way and then reinstalled windows. A few days later it started telling me that windows wasn't even installed so then I replaced it. Spending all this time dealing with my computer issues took a lot of time away from my studying plans.

On Saturday, I noticed Cricket started sneezing. She was eating hay at the time so I thought maybe it was just dusty. Then all day Sunday she continued to sneeze and overall to sound congested so today she went in to the hospital at school. She had no real discharge that I noticed and when I ausculted her at home she sounded okay to me, but of course I'd rather have someone else take a look. The vet that looked at her agreed that her lungs sounded good and we discussed the option of doing some chest radiographs but opted to try 7 days of baytril (enrofloxacin) to see if that clears things up first and if it doesn't then I'll come back for the radiographs. Since we students get free exams, I only had to pay the $84 for the baytril prescription.

Yesterday (Monday) I emailed the vet that had seen my rabbit last week to let her know there hadn't been any improvement. I took the bunnies into the clinic that afternoon and he looked her over again and noted that her nostrils were more inflamed than last week, but bilaterally so which should rule out a foreign body. Then we took some radiographs. At first she wasn't having any of this lateral radiographs thing, so we started with the DV view. I was holding her hind end and he held her head and front paws. Once the weight of the lead glove was over my hands, she really seemed to calm down and we got an okay shot. Then when we tried the right lateral shot, she seemed to know we weren't out to get her and let us do it. I was pleasantly surprised as I had suspected that we would have to sedate her to get the radiographs done. We came home with another week of baytril but talked about trying a different antibiotic if this one isn't working. I'm also going to try changing their litter (feline pine) to just newspaper and ordered a humidifier and a nebulizer to see if either of those help her out.
Part of me felt bad for asking him to come down and look at her, knowing that his knowledge was free to me, but he did seem genuinely interested in her case and mentioned he'd been doing some research on VIN.

Christina, sorry to hear she hasn´t been well but she´s getting the best care possible. Hope the new round of antibiotics shows some improvement. I was watching a video of them together yesterday and they look like a happy little couple. How´s Watson handling all this ??

Watson is perfectly healthy. When Cricket goes to the vet he rides along with her (that way they both get exposed to the same smells and I don't have to worry about them breaking their bond). He did wait in the exam room while the three of us took the radiographs though. After we looked at her radiographs, the vet told me that he had recently seen a rabbit that was having trouble breathing and it ended up having a huge thymoma compressing its heart and lungs. Luckily we didn't see anything like that in Cricket.
We talked about how some rabbits, particularly those with Pasteurella, can have chronic infections that just never go away even on a lifetime of antibiotics. My first bunny, Fiona, sneezed her entire life and we never could get it to stop. But, Cricket was normal for 4 weeks before she started sneezing so I really hope it's something we can stop.

I thought you´d probably taken him with her but wasn´t sure. Good that they didn´t see anything worrying so, fingers crossed, she manage to shake it off and get back to her old self. She was so lucky to find you and bond with Watson and i do love them as a couple. Lots of nose rubs and well wishes from my three:love:

Somehow I missed that Cricket was sick! I sure hope she gets better or at the very least they find out what is wrong so it can be treated.
Best to lil cricket!!

When I got home from school today, my new humidifier was waiting for me! Here's hoping it results in some sort of improvement...

Awh I`m sorry to hear that Cricket is sick! That is rotten luck, especially since you just lost sherlock not too long ago and now having to deal with a sick bunny :( It`s really a shame! I hope it`s nothing too serious and she feels better soon! Fingers crossed that the humidifier helps!

Christina, what a wonderful video and I love seeing them together, they are such a lovely couple and I love Cricket´s ears, one up and one down, she such a bonny girl. And that was so weird, I´ve never heard a bunny sneeze, what a strange sound. They looked to have really enjoyed the outdoors and eating from that parsley plant. You´ve got a lovely bunny pair and so good to see them so happy together. I was oohing and aahing all the way through.

Latest posts

Back