*sigh* Ruby..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww, look at my lovely girls!

Ruby liking her meds is a great advantage - no stress for her, or you ;). I really hope the increased dosage starts to show some results. How is Millie doing through all this?

Keeping you all in my thoughts, Jess. Anything you need, just ask!

Jan

Thank you Jan, and don't worry, I'llknow where you areif I need anything.:hug:

Millie is doing pretty well, although she is a bit grumpy because Ruby is getting so much extra attention!:biggrin2:She is such a fantastic little nurse though, she really cares for Ruby.

:love: :bunnyhug::bunnieskiss

bunsinbox.jpg

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Thank you Mary Ellen, no Judith didn't mention pasturella, although she agrees it is the lower part of Ruby's respiratory system which is being affected she strongly suspects heart failure, or tumors - but she said they were the least likely option, and if it was tumours there is nothing that could really be done.:(

Thanks for the heads up on the lump though, I will definitely keep an eye out for that.

The lump that Stewart had from the pasteurella was surgically removed. However, the growth is a cottage cheesy-like consistency and usually recurs. I took the chance, though (even with my non rabbit-savvy vet), and Stewart came through with flying colors. He did have a drain in his neck and then a big hole which I had to flush out a few times a day. It wasn't easy, especially when he got to feeling better and fought me...and then as the hole began to heal and grow more difficult to flush...but we made it. What my non-savvy vet did not do well with was knowing what medications to use. And I was too inexperienced with bunnies at that point to have suggestions or to have the boldness to seek out a more knowledgeable vet. :(

All that to say...even though whatever Ruby has may be life-threatening, I know that you will find the energy and resolve to fight it and give her the best outcome possible.

Goodness, I DO love that picture of her and Millie hiding out together. They are such gorgeous girls! You and your lovely bunnies are in my thoughts...

-Mary Ellen

Thanks Mary Ellen. :hug:

Bunnicula wrote:
Goodness, I DO love that picture of her and Millie hiding out together. They are such gorgeous girls! You and your lovely bunnies are in my thoughts...

-Mary Ellen

They are so loved up at the moment, it is really touching.....

bunnykiss2.jpg

Oh my goodness,this picture is so precious!

When i seen it all i could say was Aww...

bunnykiss2.jpg

cheryl

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Thank you Silvie.:hug:

I started Ruby on the Septrin yesterday morning (as Judith said I should wait a few days before starting the antibiotics in case Ruby had any adverse reaction to the diuretics) and she loves it! It is banana flavoured and must taste lovely as Ruby tries to bite the syringe after it is finished wanting more.:biggrin2:

I have also slightly increased the amount of diuretic Ruby is having a day (by 1ml) now I knowshe is coping fine with it, as Judith explained rabbits can have much more of the Frusemide, she just wanted to start Ruby off slow - so hopefully I will start seeing some results!

Ooooo NANNO medicine must be the best!

When Clover was a baby - that's how I got her to eat her slurry - I put a tiny bit of baby food bananas in it and she just sucked that stuff down! Then when I wet down her pellets for her to eat on her own - I had to put a bit in until I weaned it out. She was really fond of it.

I'm glad Ruby is doing well. I just wish I could cuddle and kiss her myself!

Thank you guys.:)

Unfortunately Ruby wasn't too good this morning, I hated leaving her to go to school.:(

She just really wasn't herself, wasn't eating much,and there were a lot of Cecotropes in the litter box. I had to make a quick decision so I decided to skip her antibiotics this morning (as Judith said to stop if they cause Diarrhea, and although this wasn't diarrhea I wanted to be careful) however I decided to give her the diuretics as I felt it might be too risky for her not to have them.:?

Thankfully when I got in she has all normal poops, all their food has been eatenand she is acting more like herself.:)But she really scared me there!:cry2

Awww I was thinking about her this morning and wondering how she was doing.

I wouldn't have given the antibiotics either... I'm glad she ate all of her food! THat's always a good thing with bunnies!

I bet you had a stressful day at school, worrying about Ruby.

I'm pleased she is back to eating and pooping normally - it's so frustrating when their meds cause something else. I just wish that there was an easy answer to all of this :?:hug:

Jan

Thank you Michelle.:hug:

I've just given Ruby and Millie their dinner and Ruby had a horrible sneezing fit, she sounded just like she was chocking and even had her mouth open. It was horrible.:tears2: I stayed out with her for ages until she started acting normally again, but I was so scared.

I just don't know what to do anymore, and Judith isn't back till next week. I may just book Ruby in for as soon as possible with my old vets, they are better then nothing. I amso worried about her, please keep Ruby in your thoughts and prayers.:(

Ruby is very bad, she was mouth breathing this morning and sounded so fluidy. I was so panicked, thank God my sister was off work today so took her to the vets while I was at school.

It's bad news - Ruby is getting worse and worse, her breathing is deteriorating and she is losing a lot of weight. The vet said we only really have 2 options - x ray her and try and find the problem, or put her to sleep. I know the risk of anesthetic, especially considering Ruby's condition, but what choice do I have? I will have to opt for the x ray and pray with all my heart Ruby makes it through.:tears2:

I can't even describe what I am feeling right now, my heart has broken into a million pieces. It kills me to see her suffering like this, I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to lose her....

:bigtears:

Oh Jess, I am so terribly sorry to hear this:bigtears:. I was hoping she'd be ok for sometime. Poor Ruby. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers:pray:.

Feel free to pm me.

Thank you Crystal.:hug:

I've just been on the phone to the vet, she explained that if it were Ruby's heart she would expect the diuretic to have worked by now, and because she is still eating yet has lost so much weight so said it could be tumours, which was also what Judith said.:?

The vet also said that Ruby is suffering with her breathing, and I have to consider her quality of life. I'm just so confused, I want to give the x-ray a go, but I'm starting to wonder is it worth it? I have been fighting for Ruby for weeks and she's just got worse, I don't want her suffering to go on. She deserves more than that. But then again I don't want her to die.

I don't know what to do! :sad:

I guess I don't know what you should do either. I don't get why her breathing is so bad, and yet they don't think it's her heart:?. I don't understand why tumours would make her breathing so labored, unless they were on her lungs. I don't think I'd risk the x-ray:?:(, but then again, what would be the difference if you decided to put her down? At least if you did the x-ray, you'd possibly have an answer:?. This is so hard...

Keep me posted Jess:hug:.

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Thank you Crystal.:hug:

I've just been on the phone to the vet, she explained that if it were Ruby's heart she would expect the diuretic to have worked by now, and because she is still eating yet has lost so much weight so said it could be tumours, which was also what Judith said.:?

The vet also said that Ruby is suffering with her breathing, and I have to consider her quality of life. I'm just so confused, I want to give the x-ray a go, but I'm starting to wonder is it worth it? I have been fighting for Ruby for weeks and she's just got worse, I don't want her suffering to go on. She deserves more than that. But then again I don't want her to die.

I don't know what to do! :sad:

Do they HAVE to do the xrays with her under anesthetic? Could you hold her down? it's not like you don't get xrays yourself ya know?

If you can do the xrays without causing her more stress and pain, then I would say to do them. Someone told me not to even think twice when I had to make a decision about our cat last winter. I spent a ton of money and time and she did go through some pain but she knew we loved her and she purred the whole time. In the end she didn't make it but we did all we could and what got her wasn't her injury but the stroke she had when she got better and started getting active again and playing really well.

If you don't do it, you'll never forgive yourself.

Oh God,Jess, this is just awful! I can fully understand the dilema you have about the x-rays.

I think if it were me, I would probably have them done. As Crystal said, it may give you an answer and another option, rather than putting her to sleep straight away. Either way, you will probably always think "What if ...."

I wish there was an easy, black and white answer, but only you can decide. You are such a wonderful bunny mom to both your girls, whatever you decide will be the right decision.

I am praying for you and Ruby (my heart is breaking too :()

Jan

Thank you guys.:)

This is so hard, as much as I want Ruby to have the x ray I have to think about her future, there may be nothing they can do and I don't want her to keep onsuffering. Also as my mum pointed out it is quite expensive, but my gut feeling is I have to try. I have to give Ruby a chance.:(

I think I will opt for the x ray, Millie and I can say goodbye to her before and then if she makes it through the anesthetic and there is nothing they can do, I will ask for her to be put straight to sleep before she wakes up - so she doesn't suffer or get stressed and can just slip away peacefully. But if there is something they can do then Ruby will stand a chance at getting better.

Honestly though guys I think this is Ruby's last day - I can't believe it.:bigtears:

Latest posts

Back