*sigh* Ruby..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jess, I know Newcastle isn't exactly on your doorstep, but the new vet I use is excellent (she is the vet that writes in the Rabbit Welfare Magazine, Rabbiting On). If you want to travel all that way, I can give you her address :)

Jan

Poor Ruby. I'm glad you're looking into this more, as I don't like what your vet said either.

FYI Randy, PenG is not available in the UK. I think veterinary drugs have to be approved, similar to the FDA approving drugs for human use in the US, and PenG is not approved. The penicillan injectibles that are available do sometimes cause gut problems in rabbits, hence the precaution.

Thanks guys.:)

Jan - that is so sweet, thank you!:hug2: The only thing is I'm not sure if it might be too long a drive as the buns really don't like the car, they get nervous going tomy vets which is a 10 minute drive.:? However, I did take them to Darlington to a pet-sitter last summer, which was about a half hour journey and although they were nervous they got through it ok.

Could you please PM me the address and I'll see how far it is? Even if it is a fair distance, the positives (finding a good vet)might way outweigh the negatives (long car drive)in this instance.:?

I've decided to go with Jan's vet, she looks fantastic and although I am worried about the trip, frankly I am more worried about Ruby at this point. She is losing weight and her breathing is faster than Millie's all the time.:(The only thing is these vets aren't open on weekends (and I doubt are open on a bank holiday either) but I'll try and take her up on Tuesday.

Until then does anyone have any weight gaining tips? (never thought I'd be saying that about Ruby after she's spent half her life on a diet!:shock:). She's not really skinny but I want to nip this in the bud now. She still has a healthy appetite and is acting normal in herself but I have a sneaking suspicion that Millie is eating most of Ruby's food as she is chubbing up and Ruby is sliming down.:?I am trying to supervise their meal times more carefully now so this morning I made sure Ruby had free rein at the pellet bowl for ages until she hopped away on her own.

Also I need some tips on how to make car travel less stressful, but I think I'll make a separate post about that asRuby and Milliehate the car!:shock:

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Until then does anyone have any weight gaining tips?

Aww i'm sorry to hear about Ruby, Jess

I've been trying to fatten up my Pippi as well,i have been giving him rolled oates soaked in some water..he loves it,maybe you could try a bit of that,i also give him just rolled oates with no water as well

Get better soon sweetie girl :big kiss:

cheryl

The quickest way to put weight on a rabbit I think is for them to have some banana each day and some rolled oats (like the old fashioned cooking oatmeal) dry....

Bo seems to gain from those things..... even looking at them. :?

I am sending good thoughts your way :hug:.

I have had to deal with URI's in rats, and it is a scary thing. A big huge "cough" noise and loud wheezing coming from a little rat is difficult to hear.

Fighting an RI in your baby must be very hard for you :(.

Thanks Amy.:)Yeah it's hard, but I'm just looking forward to having a great vet for once who can actually help Ruby. She is acting fine in herself which is good, so until I can get to the vets I just need to keep her weight on, keep going with the meds at the moment and make sure she gets extra fuss and attention!;)

Speaking of which I made up some oats for Ruby - she loved them! Bad news is so does Millie.:disgust:She wasn't really happy when I told her they were only for Ruby though!:pI got a couple of pics but for some reason my 'copy and paste' thing isn't working at the moment!:ponder:Hmmmm, maybe later!

I am sending big big hugs and good vibes your way. I really hope everything works out soon. You're both in my thoughts and prayers :pink iris::hugsquish:

Thanks MsBinky.:hug2:

Igave Ruby her meds tonight and just before I put her backin her run,I rubbed a little olbas oil on my hands and held it a few inches from her nose for a little bit. Italways clears my nose when I have a cold so it shouldwork for rabbits too, although I only used a little bit as it is so strong.I'm not sure if it helped but it can't have hurt. I got the idea from Pet_bunny's mint spray idea (credit where credit is due).;)

Poor Rubes, her breathing is very 'chesty', I can't wait till we can see this vet.:(

Ruby has got an appointment with Judith tomorrow. She sounds so lovely, she even offered to ring up my current vets to get Ruby's medical records and things! :)Wish us luck!:clover:

Also, Ruby loves the oats! She'll soon be my chubby bun again the way she is stuffing them down!;)

Rubyoats.jpg

That's great Jess,i hope everything goes wonderfully well :)

Oh gosh i adore your incredibly gorgeous girls

Haha,i'm glad she loves the oates,i knew she would ;)

For Ruby :big kiss:

Cheryl

Hey Jess,i was just wondering how the vet visit went,i hope everything is ok with sweet little Ruby :)

Cheryl

cheryl13 wrote:
Hey Jess,i was just wondering how the vet visit went,i hope everything is ok with sweet little Ruby :)

Cheryl
:yeahthat:

cheryl13 wrote:
Haha,i'm glad she loves the oates,i knew she would ;)

Me too! Bo and Clover can't wait to see if they get some oatsies if the cupboard door is opened there!

I just give them a pinch - dry.

I know Ruby will be looking plump soon! they are awesome for that! Plus she thinks you are treating her special for some reason! LOL!

Keep us posted and give her a snuggle for me! I can just about know how she feels - just bigger than I'm used to!

Phew - just got back a few minutes ago. What a journey - but well worth it!

Unfortunately it's not good news.:(Judith was great, but said that she couldn't properly diagnose what Ruby had without a Culture or an X ray, however neither were an option because of Ruby's condition.

Judith took a calculated guess instead, and she thinks that Ruby may have heart failure, because when listening to her chest she found it very hard to hear her heart. However; she couldn't confirm this without an ultra sound scan,but the one in the surgery is too big for rabbits, so she said we will just have to wait and see. Ruby has been given a diuretic which will hopefully get rid of some of the the fluid in her lungs, and she has been given another antibiotic just in case - Septrin.

There was a lot of other, more complicated medical chat, but I hope you guys don't mind if I don't post it up right now. I'm so tired and to be honest, emotionally drained. I don't know how to feel right now - I just want my girl to get better.:tears2:

Oh hon you post it when you are ready. We are all here for you.

Latest posts

Back