*sigh* Ruby..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no. I am just now reading this. Your heart has got to be breaking over this.

I think that paying the extra to do the x-rays is worth it and that it is the right choice. This way - you will not have any doubts that you did all you could for her....and although you could lose her due to the drugs...it would not be a painful death for her.

I have lost rabbits that had fluid in their lungs and the death was painful. Passing away from being under the drugs...or being painlessly put to sleep is a much better option.

I never give up hope until they are no longer breathing. I have some rabbits here that lost weight and I thought for sure I'd lose them...then suddenly - they'd turn around and start putting it on. It wasn't due to the same things that your Ruby is suffering from - but my point is - you never know. Fight for her life as long as you can - she will let you know when she is ready to go and I think you'll be ready to let her go at that point.

I will be praying for you and for Ruby and watching this thread to see what happens. But I think you are making the right choice. Even if you lose her - and I pray you won't - you will have done all you could.

Peg

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Honestly though guys I think this is Ruby's last day - I can't believe it.:bigtears:

Jess, I'm just now catching up on this. I'm so sorry to hear Ruby's not well. You, she and Millie will be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug2: :pray::clover:

:sad:

I'll be pacing worrriedly with you. I'm so sorry about the turn of events. You're in my thought and prayers.

:pray:

We love you Ruby :hug2:

Bo B Bunny wrote
Do they HAVE to do the xrays with her under anesthetic? Could you hold her down?
No. Rabbits have to be put under because of the positions the body needs to be in when taking X-rays. Sometimes they have to be stretched out, or put at weird angles. I wouldn't want to hold a conscious rabbit down in some of the positions they're put in.

Holding a rabbit down would seriously compromise the X-ray. Just because it's in a vet's office doesn't mean that it won't X-ray a human, too. If there's an arm bone sticking in the way of what needs to be seen, there isn't much point in having an X-ray done.

Ivory wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote
Do they HAVE to do the xrays with her under anesthetic? Could you hold her down?
No. Rabbits have to be put under because of the positions the body needs to be in when taking X-rays. Sometimes they have to be stretched out, or put at weird angles. I wouldn't want to hold a conscious rabbit down in some of the positions they're put in.

Thats not always true. My vet, who is very experienced with rabbits, did xrays on Max 2 or 3 times without putting him under anesthesia. Yes, we may have had a better view had Max been put under, but he got lots of great (and very clear) xrays just with Max sitting there. From those xrays, we were able to view his lungs and determined he had bronchitis (you could see the inflamed bronchials).

I say its worth it to go ahead with xrays. Also, what kind of meds is she on now? Im sorry I havent been keeping up. Did you guys ever try a nebulizer? That helped Max a lot- if you can remember he was open mouth breathing quite a bit and was chocking when he ate.

I'll be praying for Ruby (and for strength for you, Jess). I wish there was more I could do to help.

When I had a doe that needed xrays to see if she was pregnant (we thought she was overdue)...they didn't put her under and they got some good shots..

Sending my love and hope out to you and Ruby Jess

This is so heartbreaking :sad:

I've got everything on me crossed that they can get the x-rays done and find out what is wrong and make your beautiful girl feel better.

:hug1

Oh no! I hope this isn't it. I have a good feeling she could be helped.....

We're praying extra hard!

For simple things like pregnancy, it might not be needed but for other things rabbits have to be put into the absolute oddest positions.

I guess I'm thinking more like teeth/head, where they essentially have to turn the head around at a delicate angle and lie 'em flat and all sorts of other really weird positions. I really wouldn't want to restrain that. And depending on what needs to be X-rayed from what angle.

Not to mention you risk them hopping around and eating the X-ray film...

May I just also add my sentiments to the situation...it's always hard....I'm so sorry about Ruby. I hope that she makes it through, or if there's nothing that can be done, then I am very sorry and wish you the best of luck with Millie.

I just want to thank you guys, you have no idea how much your words mean to me.:)

I need to go to bed -I am so tired after today, but honestly I don't even know how I am going to get to sleep tonight. I am not looking forward to tomorrow one bit...:tears2:

She's gone :bigtears:

My beautiful girl, she was so strong, she was a fighter till the very end. Even with her breathing she survived the anesthetic, but she had one big tumour in one of her lungs and fluid in the other. There was nothing the vets could do so she was pts earlier this afternoon.

I'll write a tribute in the rainbow bridge section later - but I'm not up to it right now.:sad:

Latest posts

Back