Munchkin's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another one :)

Blyre

MunchkininNestboxWideShot2.jpg

Thanks Spring, from myself and Munchkin. :)

Okay, now for the latest:

Tada! Nothing all that interesting since the last time I checked in. Ijust finished cleaning and sanitizing Munchkin's cage. It took meroughly 45 minutes from emptying out the toys and whatnot to emptyingout the bottom pans and cleaning the litter box. I can't believe that Iwasted so much money putting bedding into the pans only to dump it allout about a week later. Sheesh, the salespeoplesure saw mecoming. Once I thoroughly cleaned and dried the bottom pans, they werereinserted and Boo-bers got fresh water, full serving of pellets and anice handful of fresh hay in her playhouse.

Munchkin was a little disoriented with the new setup but she foundeverything in short order and then left the cage to romp around theliving room. She's been surprisingly well behaved today. I only had toresort to the spray bottle twice to stop her from getting in trouble.One of us is getting trained though I'm not exactly sure it'sher...hehe.

Right now, she is working on eating up her grass mats allowing me to finish off today's entry.

Hey, can you all believe she actually came over and chinned MYcomputer? Of all the cheek? Honestly, what the heck is she going to dowith a computer?

Mental note: Change Windows 2000 Login Password....

Blyre

I've been concerned with heat lately as Summeris coming up soon to our part of the countryso I'm going totry keeping Munchkin with me in our apartment's back bedroom.

Another concern of mine is how this is going to affect Munchkin'sbehavior. Up to this point, she's been in the living room and whilethere's little more activity in here than in the bedroom I'm wonderingif she might start feeling more neglected by being so abruptly moved. Ifeel it's the best becauseit will cut down on the amount ofunexpected noises she willbe startled by and that now I canlet her outin a room that's basically been cleared ofanything that could seriously harm her. Plus,it's hard for meto work on the computer and keep an eye on her at the same time. Thisway, when I let her out, it will be at a time when I can devote all mytime to playing and bonding with her.

Man, how do thosepeople who have two or morerabbitsdo it when I'm worried about Munchkin a good portion of day and she'sonly 1 animal?

Blyre

People learn how to balance it.. :D Lol

Lol! She's probably jelous with all the time Daddy's spending on thecomputer and not with her so she's decided she'd take position of it! :)

What material is the cage made out of? Vinegar works wonders on peestains on plastic and can get any stain, no matter how bad out of it! Iworship it!

I'm moving Pebble's out of my room too for the summer, because it getsextremely hot on the top floor of my house during the summer.

If your worried about summer heat, a fans always good to put in theroom. Just don't face it directly at her. I don't think she'll feel tooneglected as long as you still spend lots of time with her. Where doyou spend most ofyour time? Rabbits do like to be where theaction is, but I'm sure she won't mind to have her own little room toherself as long as Daddy comes to visit!

I thought I'd just like to share this, but because Pebbles is in mybedroom, I don't know about Munchkin but I don't think I'm going tohave a rabbit in my bedroom again... *Four o'clock.. RIIIIP..SCRAAATCH.... BAANGS* Pebbles be quiet! And then in the morning, onetired bunny mom! She also as soon as she sees me move decides it's okto start to race around her cage and rip up her cardboard.. I haven'tbeen able to sleep in since I've got her! But that's ok :)

Spring wrote:
People learn how to balance it.. :D Lol

Lol! She's probably jelous with all the time Daddy's spending on thecomputer and not with her so she's decided she'd take position of it! :)

What material is the cage made out of? Vinegar works wonders on peestains on plastic and can get any stain, no matter how bad out of it! Iworship it!

I'm moving Pebble's out of my room too for the summer, because it getsextremely hot on the top floor of my house during the summer.

If your worried about summer heat, a fans always good to put in theroom. Just don't face it directly at her. I don't think she'll feel tooneglected as long as you still spend lots of time with her. Where doyou spend most ofyour time? Rabbits do like to be where theaction is, but I'm sure she won't mind to have her own little room toherself as long as Daddy comes to visit!

I thought I'd just like to share this, but because Pebbles is in mybedroom, I don't know about Munchkin but I don't think I'm going tohave a rabbit in my bedroom again... *Four o'clock.. RIIIIP..SCRAAATCH.... BAANGS* Pebbles be quiet! And then in the morning, onetired bunny mom! She also as soon as she sees me move decides it's okto start to race around her cage and rip up her cardboard.. I haven'tbeen able to sleep in since I've got her! But that's ok :)
The cage itself is made of wire with plastic floor pans that slide out.I have most of the wire floor covered with grass mats so cleanup ismostly shaking loose hay off the mats and emptying the floor pans ofanything that's fallen through.

I've already put a window fan in my bedroom window. It's a couple feetabove her cage so it shouldn't pose a problem. I have an airconditioner too but when I put it in and turn it on, my electric billgoes through the stratosphere....hehe.

I live alone so most of the action is in the living room when I'm notaway at work. However, I've set aside a few hours before I go to bed tovisit with her and let her run around the room. I tried it tonight andshe seems to like it. The only sticking point is that she appears to beavoiding using her litter box right now. I hope that's a temporaryissue because I'd hate tohave to rearrange her cage again. Tobe honest, I forgot how it was setup in the living room now...hehe.

I still remember the first night I brought her home.Hop....hop....BANG! Hop....hop....BANG! These days, the only sounds Ireally hear is occasional digging on the mats, the water bottlebeingused, some slight crunching when she's eating her hay,and every once in a while the sound of her jiggling one of her cagedoors. Other than those sounds, she's been pretty quiet.

Of course, this is one of those trial things. If it works, I'll leaveit in place. If it doesn't, I'll try to come up with anotherarrangement in the apartment. I'd rather make this work because I lovethe idea of having her close by. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Blyre

I've learnt how to drain out most of the softsounds like her using her water bottle but sometimes I loose patiencewhen she is ripping up cardbaord and I take her box out before I haveto be sent to a mental hospital (I get the worst dirty looks when Itake out her beloved box.. :D)

Yup, best thing to do is see waht she likes and see what works for you.Sounds like she already has you as her personal human slave :).

This is a specialentry and is copy/pasted (For the most part) from another thread that I just posted to:

It is 2:34 in the morning and Iwasawoken (at2:00on the dot)by the sound of my wonderful bunnytearing the living bejeezus out of her cage. Throwing toys, rattlingthe cage bars, chomping and digging, and anything else that canpossibly shatter the silence of the middle of the night. It's quiet nowbut what I had to do to get the quiet back was to rearrange her cageexactly the way it was before I moved her into my bedroom. Once I didthat, everything seemed to go back to normal.

I am firmly convinced that the cage rattling (at least in my case) waspurely a means to get attention and to get something done that Munchkinwanted done.

That being said, I am now going to go back to bed. :D

Blyre, the now confirmed bunny slave

im hard of hearing, when i take my hearing aids out i can't hear any critters, but...

i have taken to sleeping on the floor in the living room cause mybedroom is a tad too warm even with the window unit on (in the livingroom)

anyway.. since i taken to sleeping on the floor and my buns are looseall day and night, i trust them not to mess with the wires, (course ithelps i already sprayed it to prevent the rats from chewing on them)...sometimes in the very early wee of the morning, the bunnies that itwould be fun to run around in the living room, jumping over my legs myback, sometimes they would land on me, which would startled me, causingme to jump and causing the rabbits to take off running hehe

they haven't jumped on my back much lately, or perhaps i didn't feelthem cause sometimes i would be "dead" to the world once i am good andasleep

evenstar

Today as a good Sunday. I ran my usual errands,cleaned the apartment, and made a trip out to the local pet store tobuy Munchkin a new hay bin, new litter, and a big bag of Timothy hay.While I was there, I got a business card for a local vet hospital thatcame highly recommended for caring for bunnies. Tomorrow, I'm going tosee what their minimum age requirement for spaying her is.

Munchkin is her usual friendly, social self today. When she saw mecoming, she started pressing her little nose through the cage bars fora pet and to beg me to let her out for some play time. I did take herout for a cuddle and let her hop around on my bed for a while. When shestarted stretching toward her cage, I knew she wanted to go back in fora while. She's been very quiet today, eating hay and hopping around inher cage. I'm going to let her run around the room in a few minutes sowe can have some bonding time together.

I've been considering getting her a playmate down the road but that's abit far into the future. I generally have my hands full caring for 1rabbit and 2 might be stretching it.

Blyre

She is such a darling! With those big ears andlittle baby face she is such a sweetie pie! Ok, better not get carriedaway.. but she is so adorable! I could give that little nose a rub forhours! :D

Bonding time is the best time for me. Last night as probably thefriendliest Pebble's has ever been with me. She sat there licking myforehead and letting me give her chin a little scratch and cuddled upto my arm. She can be very aloof at times so this is out of hercharacter!

Jumping from 1 rabbit to 2 rabbits for me was a HUGE shock. At first Istarted to think it wasn't such a good idea because the new baby wastaking time away from Pepsi but in the end I'm glad I gother.With plans coming up,two might be turning intothree.. but I'll have to see :shhhh.

I called the local vet and made an appointmentfor Munchkin's spaying on June 16, 2006. I had to make it a month aheadof time because they won't do the procedure on any rabbit under 4months of age. They came highly recommended by the pet store I gotMunchkin from so that alleviates some of my worry.

Munchkin was so happy to see me that she didn't even fuss when I pickedher up from the cage. She settled into my right shoulder and justpurred as I petted her head and told her what a beautiful bunny she wasand how much I missed her while I was out at the state prisonsupervising the inmates.

I really enjoyed watching her do Bunny 500s and Binkies across thebedroom carpeting and the idea of getting her a playmate down the roadis popping into my head again. However, she has to be spayed and weneed to move into our new apartment so any plans for new residents needto be put on hold for a while.

The new metal hay bin works really well and she has already discoveredthat if she stretches out just enough, she can get hay out through thetop...hehe.

Such a smart girl. :D

Blyre

Aww poor girl missed you! :D Yup, rabbit's arevery smart. Everytime I give Pepsi oat grass she finishes one side ofthe container then take it inher mouth and tries to turn it (althoughsometimes it flips upside down and then I have a mess to clean up!)

Best of luck with the upcoming Spay!

Today was a very long and tiresome day. Itstarted at 12:30 AM when Munchkin decided that my putting a dark sheetover her cage wasn't going to stop her from raising a ruckus over ahalf-full hay bin by grabbing the inside screen with her teeth andshaking it for all it was worth. Her temper tantrum did not abate afterI stuffed the bin full of hay. She was bound and determined that shewanted out in addition to the hay. I understood that early morning/latenight is her time to be active so I tried to oblige her by letting herout for a few laps around the bedroom. The next sequence of eventssurprised even me.

She hopped out and began running at her highest possiblespeedthroughout the room. At first it was cute but then shestarted digging at the carpet, jumping up and then pooping all over mybed before jumping back down again, and then every so often stop in themiddle of floor and thump twice while staring right at me beforebeginning the process all over again. I've never seen such a display inmy entire life, animal or otherwise. When I finally caught her andtried using the dominance hold, she fought it every step of the way.When I would release her, she would run into her cage, thump, then comeout and start all over again. I finally had to pull out the squirtbottle and give her a few shots. That seemed to end the whole episodeand she went into her house for a long quiet grooming session anddidn't come out again for the entire night.

I don't know what got into her last night but she is her usual friendlyself today though I am definitely sensing a change in her. I think thather bunny puberty is starting and I'm really beginning to miss thebabyness quality that she showed when I first brought her home.

To clarify, it was late at night and totally quiet, no unusual soundsthat I can think of going on. Heck, even my neighbors were quiet lastnight and that's a relative first for them. I really want to believethat this is merely one of those isolated incidents that may neverhappen again.

In the meantime, I'm giving her extra love and attention that whateverissues she picked up last night won't reappear tonight. I really needmy sleep...hehe

Blyre

Welcome to bunny mischief! She might be actinglike this because she got changed. Or pay back for keeping her in thecage when she knows your around. I think sweet bunnies turn into"Ware-Bunnies" at night, there most active time.. :D. They are so hyperduring this time! I know when I waksr up early to go see Pepsi around5:30-6:00 she'll come racing around her cage to come see me, barreldown the ramp and race around the bottem then go back to the top. Shegoes nuts!

For noisey bunnies, I've found a nice good long run around before bedreally helped Pebble's to dose off during the night. I usually get herout at around 5:00 and leave her in my room to run her butt off untilaround 9:30. But I swear, in the morning as soon as Irollover or move she starts ripping her cardboard.

We'll have to see about tonight! I hope you don't have the little Munchkin keeping you awake!

Back