King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry that I haven't replied for a LONG time! It took me awhile to catch up with your blog! Congrats on everything ('cept the ear mites)! I am sure that they will clear up quickly. Think of it this way, at least it was "only" ear mites. It could have been much worse! Congrats on the big squishy bunny dates. They look so happy squeeshed together like that! :hearts:

kherrmann3 wrote:
Sorry that I haven't replied for a LONG time! It took me awhile to catch up with your blog! Congrats on everything ('cept the ear mites)! I am sure that they will clear up quickly. Think of it this way, at least it was "only" ear mites. It could have been much worse! Congrats on the big squishy bunny dates. They look so happy squeeshed together like that! :hearts:

I know, it could have been something horrible and the condition could have been a lot worse... Penny shows very little evidence that she even has ear mites. She is very healthy and has been fighting it for a long time.

The adoption counselor that helped me with adopting then-Madonna, she told me that you can't change her past and I shouldn't beat myself up for it. I can only make her life better now. My girly girl's going to get spoiled.

I have a joke about her... she still has pee accidents like once a day. If I am lucky, she'll be ok for a 24 hour period and I won't have to break out the spray bottle and paper towels. She was brought to King Kirby's Rabbit Nation to be queen. Until they bond, she'll just only be the Princess of UriNation. :ph34r2

April 17, 2010 - Sir Toby's Furry Palace

[I'm so mad right now, I wrote this gigantic post and then lost it when I accidentally hit backspace and IE lost my entire post. Now I am using Firefox:grumpy]

So annnnyways there's no way I'm rewriting ALL that over again, basically here's the gist of it.

Toby's Leith condo came yesterday. Worked on it until late in the night. Toby was placed on the 2nd floor and he basically didn't know how to go downstairs. I finally fished him out and put him down there. Then he realized that it was all connected and he was able to use the condo ramp without issue. It was hours before he "got it" but he held it all in until he saw his litter box. Such a good bunny! Soon as he saw the litter box, he went in and "went!"

He is now going up and down the ramp and in and out using the exit ramp like a very happy bunny. I even got a half binky today. We got to get half our dining area back, but it's enough to for 2 people to have a meal. We are very happy to reclaim the space and Toby doesn't seem any less happy to be in a condo than in his xpen. I thought he'd be upset but I don't see anything of the sort in his behavior. He's very curious about the new configuration. :thumbup

Here's where I was building it by myself at night
DSC_0230.jpg

Here's the condo in its final spot
DSC_0231.jpg

Here's the reclaimed living room/dining room space!
Before:
DSC_0037.jpg

After:
DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

And at this height, Toby can easily watch tv from his condo.
DSC_0238.jpg

And it's nice and spacious. Look at this happy bunny nomming away at his hay
DSC_0243.jpg

Virgin voyage out of the condo
DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

So he's happy and I'm happy and hubby is super happy that he didn't have to build the darn thing. Plus now we can sit down and have dinner again :p
:dutch

Looks good and if you have guest you could just pull the table out while you all are eating. Then move it back.

I love it.

JadeIcing wrote:
Glad it worked out.
Thank YOU, Ali, for giving me the idea. I don't know why but I've simply never thought about sorta reprioritizing my needs and my bunny's needs. I don't hesitate too much about giving them more. But when it comes to my needs and my husband's creature comforts, I just keep on making sacrifices in this category in order to give my buns more space. It really got to the point where we were hopping over fences and squeezing our bodies through spaces just to do normal things in our lives in our own apartment. I'm glad we were able to really give it some thought and take our lives back in charge. Our buns' happiness is not sacrificed. But us slaves got so much back :thumbup

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
Looks good and if you have guest you could just pull the table out while you all are eating. Then move it back.

I love it.
That's true! Thanks!

kherrmann3 wrote:
Very nice! It's great that Toby can watch TV from his new spot, too! :p
Funny you should mention that, Kelly! Toby watched the latest episode of his favorite tv show, Project Runway, this morning on my DVR from the 2nd floor of his new home. We've named his condo "Le Chateau de To" :rofl:

In fact, we've given Toby his very own runway!
I present to you, the Toby Runway:
DSC_0263.jpg

Toby: "work it! i gotz the walk to make it work!"
DSC_0262.jpg

Toby: "i can't wear these shoes down the runway! it's so last season, mommy" *disapprove*
DSC_0196.jpg

Toby you are too cute!!

I was just about to ask if you were going to put anything in front of him entrance. What is it~ a sheet?

New pictures of the rabbit nation!

We redid the flooring in the rabbit nation today. It was in part because I wanted to clean the room of any mite residue, in part because I was not able to get some of Penny's pee stains out of the old vinyl flooring... also because the flooring was done in pieces (I did Kirby's area when I got Kirby... Toby's area when I got Toby...), the buns were finding out that the places where the pieces connect were chewable :scared:

Husbun and I went to Home Depot to get 1 big piece of flooring to cover the entire room. Basically it's the same as the hardwood floor, with maybe a little more traction than hardwood. But when a bun pees or makes a mess, I know it won't harm the hardwood floor beneath. Princess Penny's Urination was starting to stain the edges of the wood, so I thought this was a good investment. Easier to pull out a piece of vinyl than redo the wood in the floor!

OMG when we took the xpens and all the bunny stuff out of the room, we realized just how HUGE this room was! We hadn't seen this room for what it was in like 2 years. We had to snap pix because we don't know when we'll see it this clean and uncluttered again LOL
DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

Now here's the "after" pic. You'll notice the flooring looks like wood, but it's not. The color is slightly lighter and cooler in color.
DSC_0254.jpg

Penny still has only a 7 panel xpen because she's still having trouble with her litter box. Kirby now also has a 7 panel xpen attached to his condo (ironically this was the same configuration he had when we first adopted him). The 8 panel config causes that side of the room to get pretty funky shaped. By taking away 1 panel, the room looks and feels more squarish and less crazy. Also, hubby can sit in his desk chair without bumping into Kirby's pen.

In reality, Kirby doesn't do much in his xpen. I thought long and hard about this "shrinking" of my bunny's square footage, especially Kirby because he is my heart. I don't think he minds it because he doesn't do a whole heck of a lot in his xpen. He sits around in the afternoon sometimes but he doesn't binky or anything requiring a lot of space in there. He sleeps and eats and poops in his fenced-in space. He does all his exercise in the rest of the apt. So in reality, decreasing his caged space doesn't affect his quality of life that much. And it makes this room so much more livable, seriously. Kirby's so happy that he's binkied at least 20 times tonight. He almost ran me over with his Bunny 500s just now as I was typing!! No question about it, he's a happy bun.

Here's le Chateau de To, with the curtain down on the first floor. I put it up when Kirby is having his playtime in the living room. Toby gets too worked up and aggressive when he sees Kirby so this helps him.
DSC_0270.jpg

Here's Penny! Litterbox destroyer, and proud of it.
DSC_0201.jpg

It's a girl thing.
DSC_0186.jpg

I finally also broke down and got a baby gate to separate the rabbit room and the hallway/living room. That way, I can let Kirby roam in the rabbit room and Toby roam in the living room. Both buns can have play time without bothering each other. I've forgotten to close the door so many times and Toby's accidentally gotten in there several times to harass Penny. With the baby gate, the risk of it runs pretty low.

hln917 wrote:
Toby you are too cute!!

I was just about to ask if you were going to put anything in front of him entrance. What is it~ a sheet?
You mean the runway itself? That's just a piece of vinyl flooring we had leftover from the rabbit room re-flooring. We cut it so that it was just wide enough for a bun coming down his condo exit ramp, and reaches the foam playmat. Coming off the exit ramp and hitting hardwood floor was kind of rough. He didn't have any traction and he was slipping around. The runway helps a little bit. ;)
DSC_0263.jpg

... but where is the royal red carpet from le Chateau de To? :p (That is the most-awesome-est name for a bunny pen. My Toby just has the area on the bottom of my entertainment center [shelf] that we called "The Man Cave"). Lucky spoiled bunners!

As far as Penny's litter box destruction, have you tried to get that light-fixture egg-crate stuff to put over the litter? I've heard of people doing that. It looks like this.

Where did you get Toby's new cage? Those might be a possibility in my future. The bunnies are slowly taking over my bedroom! :panic:

kherrmann3 wrote:
... but where is the royal red carpet from le Chateau de To? :p (That is the most-awesome-est name for a bunny pen. My Toby just has the area on the bottom of my entertainment center [shelf] that we called "The Man Cave"). Lucky spoiled bunners!

As far as Penny's litter box destruction, have you tried to get that light-fixture egg-crate stuff to put over the litter? I've heard of people doing that. It looks like this.

Where did you get Toby's new cage? Those might be a possibility in my future. The bunnies are slowly taking over my bedroom! :panic:
Hehehe thanks! "Le Chateau de To" hit me yesterday and it just stuck! I figured, if King Kirby can have his castle, Sir Toby must at least have a Chateau :p Oh yes, they certainly are spoiled :yuck

I have tried to do a little light fixture thing in the litter box. It would do really well in Penny's case, no doubt about it. But the last time I tried to cut out the right shape for a litter box, I ended up with a hundred cuts on my hands and arms, little pieces of plastic all over the apartment, and no success. I always seemed to cut the egg crate too big or too small. The edges are so sharp that it's pretty scary! I might try it again if Penny's destruction doesn't stop. She doesn't do it *all* the time but sometimes she'll just have a mood for it! :dunno

Toby's new condo cage is a Leith Petwerks Bunny Abode. They are really expensive once you get all the stinkin' accessories and pay for shipping (you'd think they were FedExing it from Mars). But I really think it's an excellent investment for bunnies the size of our Toby's. Little 4 pounders would do fine in these condos. Bigger buns do ok too, but they can't run around as much. Toby has a 48" wide condo, duplex. Kirby has a triplex 36" wide. I purposely got Toby the wider one because he does not have a pen attached to it where he can stretch his legs. Kirby does.

While it is an extraordinary amount of money to spend on a cage, I think if you find just the right spot for it and the right size condo, it's a great investment in gaining your sanity back, for slaves' sake! Kirby's condo purchase was made before I even got him or knew anything about rabbits so it was somewhat of a mistake that we bought it. It wasn't the right housing for Kirby, but after we moved in and put our gimondo wall unit in, there was no way to move or remove Kirby's condo. It's become King Kirby's symbol of excess lol

For help on the egg crate I cut it to the size of the rim then cut it down. One section at a time.

It may take a little longer but it worked for me.

In my dream will I own one of those cages one day. maybe i will get lucky and find one on Craigslist.

kirbyultra wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Glad it worked out.
Thank YOU, Ali, for giving me the idea. I don't know why but I've simply never thought about sorta reprioritizing my needs and my bunny's needs. I don't hesitate too much about giving them more. But when it comes to my needs and my husband's creature comforts, I just keep on making sacrifices in this category in order to give my buns more space. It really got to the point where we were hopping over fences and squeezing our bodies through spaces just to do normal things in our lives in our own apartment. I'm glad we were able to really give it some thought and take our lives back in charge. Our buns' happiness is not sacrificed. But us slaves got so much back :thumbup
:whistling

Bunny icon updated in my sig! Yay Penny is officially part of the rabbit nation! I am embarrassed to admit it took me like 2 hours to get Penny just right. She has that agouti fur that I wanted to nail down. If I have time, I'll have to redo Kirby's because I like the new bunny icon's sitting position lol

Bonding session today kinda happened by accident and it went well, sorta. Kirby was out in the rabbit room and I opened Penny's xpen door to give her some love. Penny hopped out so I decided what the heck, I started petting her. They sorta just played on their own for a while. No drama, no aggression of any kind.

It was so sweet, actually. Penny rubbed her face all over Kirby's cheeks and nose. Kirby sat for it. I separated them twice from their "cheek-lock" and they came back together. Kirby didn't even freak out. But he once again, got annoyed with her and boxed her. Luckily, my cautious hand was hovering there and my hand got scratched and Penny didn't feel very much of it. I ended the session there.

But I felt like it was very good because the duration was really long (maybe 7-10 minutes) and on top of that, the session was not in a "neutral" territory. It happened right there in the rabbit room where they both live. Both of their pen doors were shut though, so they didn't actually go into each other's space. I think it helped that I refloored the place yesterday, so it wasn't tainted overwhelmingly by Kirby's scent and Toby's scent should be completely gone by now, save for anything on the xpen that now belongs to Penny.

Yay!

Latest posts

Back