King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hln917 wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
I do even while at work. ;)
Shhhh.....me too!
Ladies, I used to BLOG most of my posts from work! LOL Sometimes I'd take a 5 minute break just to step away from my desk and check RO on my iPhone. It's such an addiction... :shock:

Gotta get Penny ready for the vet. Just a baseline check up :)

OH yeah, I almost sat on Toby last night. He was a split second away from being cushion bun!!! How scary. My butt grazed the top of his fur!!! He ran for it... thank god.

I'm so sad and upset about Penny's ear mites... I want to cry to get it out of my system but I'm so tired. I'm medicated and dizzy and weak. I probably shouldn't be medicated and blogging. I just feel like the world failed her and she is still such a gentle soul. Her owner of two years gave her up. Just like that. How could they? She's such a perfect bunny.... And the mites - She probably had it since she was small because she didn't get the mites at the shelter nor at my apt, and it's so common among petstore buns. No one knew. Poor girl. And I have so much cleaning to do ahead of me.. I'm not looking forward to that. I hope she heals up soon. I am glad hubby convinced me to take her to the vet sooner rather than later. I just can't stand the thought of her having endured mites in her ears all this time. My poor girl. :( :( :(

ok now I am crying. :(

kirbyultra wrote:
Bonding went lousy today.
Car ride isn't possible.
No car rides for me when I bond bunnies.

One of my methods, is to put the 2 buns into a carrier (with just enough room inside for them to switch places). Then I lift the carrier up and down (elevator ride)and give them a gentle swing back and forth. It's the motion that stresses them,and they seek comfort from each other because they are together. You don't have to do it very hard, and you control the motion. 10 minutes in the carrier should settle them down.

I saw Kirby scratch his ear this morning. I don't know if its normal or if he got it too. He's medicated too but I just can't stop crying knowing that I did this to him. I can't stop thinking that I brought this on him. My poor bunny. I promised him when I adopted him that I'd never let anything hurt him. I feel like I failed him. I feel so guilty.

:hug:

I'm sure both Kirby and Penny will be fine. Ear mites aren't the worst thing in the world - they are both so lucky to be living with such a great bunny mom!

Thanks for your comforting words. I don't feel a whole lot better today, but I am trying to deal with the guilt and just take better care of my babies.

The elevator/swinging carrier concept sounds interesting. I might do something like that as a stressor. The elevators are currently being repainted and made pretty again in my building, so maybe in a couple days I'll try it out -- Thanks, Stan.

The new shipment of Kleenmama's hay came. And not a moment too soon. Kirby won't touch the Oxbow orchard grass that I bought to tide the buns over this week. He probably hasn't eaten a lot of hay since Tuesday :( I filled his hay basket with a ton of 3rd cut timothy and he's wasted no time making a mess eating it in his condo.

I poured the orchard grass into Penny's litter box. She doesn't care, she'll eat it. :) She doesn't have a hay rack yet because she seems to forget where to poo when she eats from the rack... she'll stand outside of the liitter box and eat from the rack, then conveniently poo out there too. Until her litter habits are better, she'll have to eat in the litter box.

I tried to give her a little bit of alfalfa pellets to help her finish her molt but it doesn't seem to be helping. She has some uneaten cecals the last 2 days and her poos seem squishier (less dry) than usual. It's either the pellets or the amt of fresh greens she is being fed. She was fed greens every day in shelter care as well, but perhaps the pellet amt/quality was different. Anyways I'm goin to switch her back to all timothy pellets and halve her greens and see if she does better.

I haven't tried bonding Penny and Kirby today. Mostly because I feel like crap and I'm just not up for it. But I know both Penny and Kirby had a stressful time yesterday so I am letting them chill out today.

Toby is enjoying his time running around, having the living room to himself while Kirby chills in the rabbit room. According to UPS, Toby's Leith condo ships tomorrow :) It will be very exciting to get his condo.

Helen~don't beat yourself up over it. It's not your fault. You have got to be one of the best bunny mom out there! You gave Kirby, Toby and now Penny a better life and you continue to do so. Someone with SO MUCH LOVE for their buns will never be a bad mom.

April 15, 2010 - Tax Day, but I already did them :)

Here is an excerpt from the bonding thread that I've been doing about Kirby and Penny... some pictures to share.

Today, I was still really bummed out about my rabbits and soI kind of said, to heck with it... I broke all the rules and sat Kirby and Penny together for 23 minutes total. Kirby was nervous at first and he did pounce on her but it was like 45 seconds into the session and I knew he was just antsy.With a lot of petting and coaxing, he relaxed. Later on,Penny flopped over several feet away from him at one point. Kirby groomed himself a little bit. But still whenever they go nose to nose, they get into a cheek lock. Neither bun wanted to groom the other first -- nothing new.

I artificially placed them together side by side (picked up Penny and sat her next to Kirby) and I petted them on the head for as long as they would sit for it. Kirby would occassionally sit up and try to stick his head under her belly, but he did not succeed and so he just sat down and let me pet him again. They sat like this, neither one moving very much for over 15 minutes. Kirby would sometimes lick the floor (he does that a lot when he is lying on his tummy). But no grooming of each other yet. At the 23 minute mark, Kirby got up and walked away. He started to paw and dig at the door so I knew he had his fill.

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

Latest posts

Back