King Kirby's Rabbit Nation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Welcome to King Kirby's Rabbit Nation, 2010 Edition!

Bunnies2009-13.jpg

2009 Edition link is here!

I present to you, the one and only King Kirby!
P1050147.jpg

Kirby is a 3.5 year old Satin mix bunny. I adopted him in November 2008 and he is my first bunny ever. He's the sweetest thing I have ever known and I love him dearly. Kirby is my world :hearts

Roll out the red carpet... here comes Sir Toby!
P1040808.jpg

Toby came into my life in May 2009. He was only about 2 months old, cutest little fuzzball I ever laid eyes on. He is a pretty hyper rabbit, often found running and charging into Kirby's cage.

My boys are not bonded, but it doesn't mean they won't be one day.

Rabbits changed my life. They gave me joy and hope in ways I never thought imaginable. I started volunteering for the rabbit rescue organization in NYC recently and it's brought me more satisfaction than all the years of working my day job. :bunnydance:

Here marks the beginning of a wonderful year of bunny love!

on behalf of lady roxy and lord hartleybun may i express greetings to his majesty and lord toby. we look forward to reading of your exploits in future blogs.

Awesome start to your new blog!

What rabbit rescue do you volunteer with?? I've been thinking of starting to volunteer again, but I'm not sure where. If I could find a rabbit rescue that's close enough to me, that would be awesome! Except for it's so hard for me to convince myself that I can't bring them all home.

Your bunnies are adorable, as always. :)

I work with a group called Rabbit Rescue and Rehab, a chapter of the HRS for NYC. :) The shelter is up on the upper eastside of manhattan. I've been volunteering at the adoption events they hold at a Petco uptown. I adopted Kirby from safehavenrr.org based in NJ. Maybe you can try there if it's close to you.

I work with a group called Rabbit Rescue and Rehab, a chapter of the HRS for NYC. :) The shelter is up on the upper eastside of manhattan. I've been volunteering at the adoption events they hold at a Petco uptown. I adopted Kirby from safehavenrr.org based in NJ. Maybe you can try there if it's close to you.
We're actually very close to Manhattan. My fiance works there so we wanted to stay close to the city to keep his commute short, without actually living in the city.

I know Rabbit Rescue & Rehab :) For some reason I didn't think they where really taking in many rabbits. It sounds like I might have been wrong. I might look into volunteering there sometime soon. There's another shelter in Liberty State Park in NJ, which is really close to us, but they take in mostly cats and dogs. I was thinking of volunteering there so I wouldn't have to go into the city. I'd probably like working with bunnies more though...hmm.

RRR takes in a good number of rabbits. The shelter is shared with the ACC which is mostly dogs and cats, definitely. The location is currently renovating and just started when I wanted to start volunteering so to be honest with you, I haven't even stepped foot in the actual shelter yet! Because of the cut-down space, we have less than 10 cages onsite. We have 2 Petcos with two buns in each one and a network of foster parents in and around the city who are wonderful. One of the Petcos is moving to a smaller store, so we're not even sure if we can continue to keep two buns there :(

I was also very surprised to find that RRR had a real location. I was under the impression for the longest time that they were a 100% foster network. Was even more surprised that the Manhattan ACC was where the rabbits were and that I could work exclusively with the rabbits. I've been super happy working a few hours at Petco adoptions. It's like just playing with 1-3 bunnies for about 5 hours nonstop and letting people look at you play with bunnies. :biggrin2:I love to tell people about how much fun it is to have a bunny at home!

My boss told me about my salary raise today. He said with the raise I could get a couple more bunnies. Even folks at work know I'm "the rabbit lady"....

:biggrin2:
Thanks for all the info! It does sound like fun. I don't really like going into NYC very often, but I might be able to make an exception for cute bunnies! Only problem will be trying not to take any of them home with me.

January 27, 2010 - A Sad Truth

I've been having really bad nasal congestion, runny nose and post-nasal drip in the last few months. My husband's been having bad symptoms for even longer. I finally went to see an allergist. :cry4:

There was a lot of silly drama but in the end I did get my test. My allergist tested me for lots of furries, including rabbits, cats, hammies, roaches, dust mites. I am allergic to all of the above. :faint:My arm lit up like a Christmas tree. :tears2:

Bunnies... I am allergic to my bunnies... :cry2I mean, it doesn't change anything. But somehow it hurts more now that I know. I could never let go of my bunnies. Would you dump your children? Of course not. But nobody has ever been allergic to their children (I think). It just feels terrible to find out this truth. :(

Aww I'm sorry. :hug:

I have a lot of allergies too, including to rabbits and hay.

I can keep my allergies managed pretty well as long as I clean the rabbit room a lot, and the less dusty hay has been helping. While I'm cleaning I'll wear one of those medical masks, so I don't breathe in the hay and fur, and have an air filter in the rabbit room. Once in awhile my allergies will really act up after I spend some time cuddling with the bunnies, but it's worth it to me. I would never give them up or stop having rabbits because of my allergies.

I love all the pic's at the begining of your blog :)Your boys are soooo ADORABLE!! :biggrin2:

I'm sorry your allergic to your bunnies. Maybe allergy med's or shots will help. :hug:

SweetSassy wrote:
I love all the pic's at the begining of your blog :)Your boys are soooo ADORABLE!! :biggrin2:

I'm sorry your allergic to your bunnies. Maybe allergy med's or shots will help. :hug:

Thanks! I actually put off the new blog in part because I was too lazy to get a new picture collage made for 2010. The first blog had a collage too :)

I want to do allergy shots and it would have worked out really well had I started this process months ago. I can get allergy shots done at the health center at work once they are prescribed. So I don't have to make extra trips every single week. My copay was also awesomely cheaper last year. This year my copay went up, and I actually plan on quitting my job soon. I don't really know how it's going to work with my insurance, joining my husband's plan, etc. For now I'm going to try to work with my doctor (she seems wonderful!) and see if we can just use some medication to help control it.

January 28, 2010 - Kirby's Wild Party

I let Kirby out to roam overnight again last night. This morning around 5am instead of hanging out in his condo like I expected, he was sitting in the hall, staring at me. Then when I approached him, he started to run around and binky like I have never seen before! He was having so much fun. I wonder if he's been doing this all night! I had to shoo him back into his pen so I could let Toby out for the morning. I think it's perfectly fine to start letting Kirby out at night. I don't think he could do anything to cause him harm, the place is bunny proof....but.....

I may be fostering dear little Milo. If you read my old blog, you wll remember that little Milo gave me my virgin bunny-kiss! I am very taken by this little bun boy. He is currently residing at one of our Petcos, but that store is closing and we're not sure what we're doing yet. I might have him a few days or a couple weeks I think. I'm so excited! He's gonna be my first foster bun!

If I keep Milo in the living room, I won't let Kirby out unsupervised. Milo is still very territorial. He's a little stinker, marking up stuff all over the place. It may not be a good idea to let them too near each other.

ooOOoo! New foster bun!? Do we get pictures!?

I hope this blog is as picture-full as the last one! :stikpoke

Sorry to hear about your allergies. I don't really trust those skin allergen tests, though. My mum had one done and it said that she was allergic to dogs (only). She has had dogs her whole life, and she has never had any issues with them. In fact, she tends to get the sinus problem stuff when away from her dog(s). It's just one of those weird things. Either way, I hope you find a way to manage your allergies!

Of course there are pictures! So I ended up going to pickup Milo this evening after all.

These are not pictures of Sir Toby - they are of the visitor, Milo! Milo unfortunately for me, is going to be here only a couple of days. One bun got adopted at a different Petco and I'm going to take Milo down there to take his spot. It will get him more chances to be seen and be adopted. So he's only here till Saturday. What a bummer! But maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I would get too attached.

P1050510.jpg

"Yeah, we sit on the vegetables before we eat them. All the buns at Petco do it. It's all the rage. Don't they do that in Kirbyland?"

P1050511.jpg

"Do you like this shade of lip color?"
P1050534.jpg

I actually question if he was neutered. I turned him over and I saw what looked like the boy's boys! They looked like pink kidney beans hanging from him. Did not look like the void that I usually see with my buns... so I am emailing RRR to ask what the deal is! I sent them a pic to see if someone else can tell any better than me. Milo's litter habits are pretty bad, and...

GET THIS! TOBY IS TERRIFIEDOF MILO! Toby can bouncing out of the rabbit room and came sniffing around the living room.. he was heading back to the rabbit room when he SUDDENLY got sight of a bun that looked exactly like him in the kitchen..... next thing I hear is BAM! ZOOM! BANG! Toby dashing in a big blurry mess into the rabbit room.... oh my gosh, I thought he hurt himself running into all sorts of things. He's really scared!

Hah! :biggrin2:

Oh my goodness. Toby won't stop thumping now. He is not binkying, he's just hopping around restlessly, thumping a lot. I even heard a sigh/squeak from Toby after one of his thumps.

I changed pants that I was wearing when handling Milo. I was walking them to the washer when... Toby sniffed and started to paw at the legs of my Milo'ed pants. He lunged at them again and again. Husbun found it hilarious but I was afraid he'd lunge at my legs. We threw the pants in the washer and I promptly went to take a shower. Poor Toby is still thumping. He's really upset.

I put up a gate to separate the living room and the kitchen where Milo is. I also put a towel over the gate so Toby wouldn't see Milo. He's still thumping though.

Compared to Milo, Toby totally digs Kirby. My gosh!

Latest posts

Back