Chippy's got a lump (benign cystic teratoma.....extra ingrown mammary gland)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I'm so glad they found out what the problem was! I really hope this will be the end of it for you now..

I hope that Chippy's recovery continues well through the night :)

Chippy did well last night and looks much better today.

She's using her front leg again...still favoring it a little, but you have to watch her close to tell.

She's got herself all groomed and clean.

The surgery site looks good.Very littleswellingand nosigns of infection.

I spoke to the vets office about pain meds.
They told me that DrC would prefer her to have injectable pain meds and antibiotics if necessary. With Chippy's history of GI issues he doesn't want to risk using orals and upsetting her gut.
He also said that the laser surgery causes much less tissue damage and results in greatly reduced post-surgical pain and very low chance of infection. It also takes about 1/4 of the time to do the surgery, so she didn't have to be under general for very long at all.

I can't get home at lunchtime to check on her.
If I get home after work and think she's still in pain, I'm to call the vets.
They're open until 7pm. DrC will meet me there (he's actually off this week...wife's having a baby) or have an Rx waiting for me......it all depends on the severity of the pain.

Thanks to everyone for the good thoughts and prayers.
I love being a member of this herd!

:group:

Chippy's is doing very well.....better than I had expected or hoped for.
She's active, hungry, thirsty, poopin' & peein' !!
And she doesn't seem to be in too much pain.

She let me pick her up and I pushed and prodded at the surgery site...she didn't even flinch....I almost passed out.:thud:

She's got more stitches and staples than I've had in my last 3 surgeries!!geeeezzz!!
She's got a row going from one shoulder to the other. And then one down the middle of her chest.
They seem to be covered with something like liquid bandage.
She's not bothering at them at all.

There's almost no swelling, and all of the surrounding tissues look clean and healthy.

I can tell she's having a difficult time getting comfortable sitting and laying down.
But that will get better as things heal.

Right now she's sitting up on her hind legs and grooming her face and ears.:hearts:

Her front left leg seems to still be bothering her.
She keeps grooming it and pulling at the fur.
Would they have given her sub-q thru an IV in her leg???
I'll have to call and ask.

For now, all is well

We go back next Monday for our first follow-up.

Leaf wrote:
On a lighter note, the title of this thread is read by me in thebeat of a certian Aerosmith song. I have no clue why. Iguess they must have beenon the radio when I passed through this board at one point... I'm sorry - I just couldn't NOT share that any longer.

:shock:
The one about Janie?

I let Chippy out for some runtime last night. She's been confined to her cage since Monday so as to limit her activity, but I figured she's had a few days to heal and it should be okay.

She cautiously ran a few laps, and did a few low level binkies. She pooped and peed all over, and ate up all the errant pieces of hay.

I took some pics of her surgery site, but the lighting made it look a lot worse that it is.
She's been fussing with it, but not enough to do any real damage.

This morning she looked like she wasn't feeling all that well. Maybe she's a little sore from last nights running around?

I'm very anxious to get home and make sure she's doing okay.

JimD wrote:
This morning she looked like she wasn't feeling all that well. Maybe she's a little sore from last nights running around?

I'm very anxious to get home and make sure she's doing okay.
Zoe is lethargic and clearly uncomfy for up to four (4!) days after having her gut palpitated at by her vet. So I think that Chippy has every reason to feel sore/uncomfy after testing her physical limitations last night.

When you do get home, please give her pets and kisses from me. :hearts:

As always Jim, you and your family and Chippy are in my thoughts:)

Chippy is so lucky to have you!

I took Chippy for her first follow-up visit since surgery.

The vet says she's doing great.
He's pretty confident that there won't be any further issues.
He said that he hasn't seen anything like it for years. It was also right next to the jugular, which made it a very tricky operation.... (something he didn't mention prior to surgery)

As for now, we're considering her "out of the woods"!!

She goes back in a week to have the staples & stitches removed.

:bunnydance:

JimD wrote:
Leaf wrote:
On a lighter note, the title of this thread is read by me in thebeat of a certian Aerosmith song. I have no clue why. Iguess they must have beenon the radio when I passed through this board at one point... I'm sorry - I just couldn't NOT share that any longer.

:shock:
The one about Janie?

Yes! :baghead

How is she doing?

I'm a little late responding but I just read that she can be considered "out of the woods"!

I really hope things continue to go well, and I really admire how well you've stuck with her through everything. I don't really "know" you on the forum but after going through this tread for so long and reading about your bunny from ... was he Buck Jones? ... It's really great getting to meet you in a sense.

That's so great that Chippy's 'out of the woods'! :D You must be so relieved!

And your vet sounds great for persevering so much- especially with that tricky surgery...

I love happy endings! :)

Back