Chippy's got a lump (benign cystic teratoma.....extra ingrown mammary gland)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chippyis scheduled to gether stitches out tomorrow.

She's been really good about leaving them alone....until a little while ago.

I went down to let her out for a run.
She was grooming when I walked into the room.
I went to get the expen out and she started to freak out.
She was trying to hop around on her hind feet while holding her face with her front paws.
She was falling all over and scrambling to get up.
All the time her head was tucked tight into her chest.
I finally caught her and picked her up.
It was almost like she was having some kind of convulsion or siezure.

And then I realized she had caught her bottom teeth through some of the staples on her chest.
I got her to relax enough that I was able to slide the staples up, Chippy flicked her heels and twisted out of my arms and must have pulled her teeth the rest of the way out.

She's fine now.

I'm a wreck.

The vet appointment won't come soon enough for me.

I hope she'll be okay for the night. I think it scared her enough to leave them alone.

I was thinking about a soft collar too. I tried making something using an old tube sock, however I found.......
If I put it above her dewlap, it pushes down on the staples and they jab into her dewlap.
If I put it under her dewlap, then it's on the staples and might get caught or irritate them.
Just having it on was annoying her to no end. I'm afraid she'd keep trying to dig or scratch it off, and end up digging more staples/stitches out.

I was able to trance her and take some of the looser staples out.
The rest are for the vet to do.

This one must have been the one she was caught one, as it was almost pulled completely out....

IMG_2316.jpg

OMG, Jim! I would have freaked out! You sound like you held it together very well for Chippy. Did they "have" to use staples? I would prefer stiches if they could get by with those.:?

I hope she'll leave them alone for the night. Poor thing, she must have been so scared as well.:( Poor baby. Let us know how the vet visit goes!;)

Thanks all.:hug:

"Chippy's okay....I'm okay....we're both okay....okay!?!!" ....That's what I was saying to 7 sets of concerned bunny-eyes intently watching as I gingerly checked Chippy out this morning.

I was able to trance her again, and removed a couple more staples that were loose.
I think I got the ones that were bothering her....the others look pretty intact.

She hasn't bothered the stitches at all ***knocks on wood :pray:***

The position and extent of the surgery required the stitches/staples.
He did a good job. The wound is healed nice.
If I hadn't had dental surgery myself, I would have taken her in on Monday to have them removed. Yesterday I was in La-La Land from meds.
And she was really ok until last night.
Oy!

I checked her as often as I could throughout the night. She was resting comfortably each time.

I already called the vet...DrC isn't going to be in until tomorrow.. I can bring her in, but the vet on duty isn't too rabbit savvy.

I have to go to work today. I'm exhausted...from this as well as trying to recover from my dental stuff.

I may work a half day. I'll see how it goes.

again....Oy!

Holy smokes! I'm just catching up on the goings-on. Poor Chippy! You, too, Jim; you need some serious sleep. :(

JimD wrote:
"Chippy's okay....I'm okay....we're both okay....okay!?!!"
I had to laugh at this; I've used the "you're-okay-I'm-okay" mantra, only it was with a friend who was stressing over a particular situation. It really does seem to calm all parties involved; I'm sure that Chippy and your seven other charges were helped by hearing it.
I checked her as often as I could throughout the night. She was resting comfortably each time.
Get some sleep!
I have to go to work today. I'm exhausted...from this as well as trying to recover from my dental stuff.
You are getting sleepy...very sleepy....:sleep: Take care of yourself, and you'll be of better service to Chippy and Co. (You're doing an absolutely wonderful job of "mothering" her, I must say. :biggrin2:)

JimD wrote:

Gosh, I read about your dental surgery in off topic but forgot until you mentioned it again here! Take care of yourself too!

You did well for her- I am sure she will be a good girl until her vet visit tomorrow.

I'm home.
Couldn't talk on the phone anymore at work.

I checked on Chippy first thing, and she doing ok.
She let me check her out without giving me too much of a hard time about it.
I can feel more staples getting loose....I think she's been pulling at them verrrrry carefully.

DrC heard that I was asking for him and he called me.
He said that I should call and bring her in next time...any time....24 hours a day....7 days a week....and he'll meet me at the office.
I'm to check her as often as possible and bring her in if needed.
We have appointment tomorrow evening.
He'll be in at 10am tomorrow and said I could bring her in anytime during the day if I didn't want to wait until the 6pm appointment.
I love DrC!

As for the moment...
Got myself a hot mug of clear broth and my pain meds.
Then I'll check on Chip
Maybe I'll try some mac & cheese for lunch....woohoo....,
and then watch some TV and/or take a nap.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for being here for me when I need you.
This herd is the bunnyhugger's binky!! And I'm glad I'm part of it.
:group:

To be honest, Jim, I'm glad your home. After all the work you had done on your mouth, I think you need a few extra days to recover.

And your DrC is the bestest. Tell him from us here at RO, we think he is awesome, and could he train other vets to be as godd with bunnies as he is :).

You and Chippy take care of each other.

Jan

:shock: I'm just catching up here!!

Oh gosh, that sounds terrifying! I'm so glad it turned out ok. Luckily not too long to go now until they are out... Poor Chippy! And poor you, having such a scare! :hug:

I agree too, your Dr C sounds amazing! I love my regular vets but I'd bump them for your Dr C!!:p

:groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty:"This herd is the bunnyhuggers's binky and I'm glad I'm a a part of it"

:groupparty:
Do you mean bunnylover's binky??

I love it Jimwhen you say .."We're a herd and the herd watches out foreach other"

we Should have RO T shirts with that on the back or front.

I love the concept of us being a herd.

:groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty:

angieluv wrote:
:groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty:"This herd is the bunnyhuggers's binky and I'm glad I'm a a part of it"

:groupparty:
Do you mean bunnylover's binky??

I love it Jimwhen you say .."We're a herd and the herd watches out foreach other"

we Should have RO T shirts with that on the back or front.

I love the concept of us being a herd.

:groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty::groupparty:
We love you Jim! I hope Chippy is doing okay, keep us posted on her!:hug:

Love this post! Hey, Maureen, I was thinking-yeah, oh no!- Anywho, if we got shirts made to sell, I would ask Rabbits Online to sponser our bowling team and we'd wear the shirts! Cool? We'll keep that in our minds, it might get some additions, but like Sas knows, I know no one that has a rabbit anywhere near me!

When I took Keekers to the vet last week, I asked about leaving some of RO's Business Cards and he said it was fine, and actually, the receptionist told me there were two boarding there! So, we should be getting members from 'round here soon, I hope!:D

Chippy is doing good!

She had her vet appointment last evening to remove the staples.
The surgery site is healed nicely.
There's no evidence of the cyst reforming.
Drc is happy.
I'm happy.
Chippy's overjoyed!!:bunnydance:

I got to assist DrC with removing the staples...(aka;.."Jim, you hold the rabbit, while I remove the staples.")
Chippy behaved so well. She didn't squirm or fuss at all.

He wants to see her in a month.

Latest posts

Back