Chippy's got a lump (benign cystic teratoma.....extra ingrown mammary gland)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:pray:

I'm glad it is a light office schedule, so there is less pressure for the vet to get things done.
Waiting to give Chippy kisses when you pick her up. :big kiss:

I'll miss reading your update until tomorrow morning.

Best wishes with everything!

On a lighter note, the title of this thread is read by me in thebeat of a certian Aerosmith song. I have no clue why. Iguess they must have beenon the radio when I passed through this board at one point... I'm sorry - I just couldn't NOT share that any longer.

:shock:

I just got off the phone with the vet's office.

Chippy's surgery is done and she's doing fine.
I can pick her up anytime. I'll go at 5pm directly from work.
***wishes I could go NOW!!!***

I'll probably get home with her around 6 - 6:30.

We're home !

Chippy is doing good....she's full of stitches and staples, but seems to be feeling okay.
She drank some water right off, then ate a couple pieces of papaya, some oats, some pellets, and then chowed down on the hay for quite a bit.

It turned out to be an unusualcongenital defect.
She had an extramammary gland on her chest/neck that developed a benign cystic teratoma.

He removed the entire gland and surrounding cystic envelope.

WOOT!!! I've been wondering how she was doing....way to go Chippy and Jim! I'm so very glad that they seem to have been able to eradicate the source of the problem. Happy Recovery days, Chippy....doin' the happy dance here in central PA!!!:happyrabbit::bunny18:party0002::yahoo::clapping:

She's eaten and drank a good bit.

We've even gotten a few poops and a little pee.

But, she's obviously uncomfortable and in some pain.

She's favoring her left front paw and doesn't want to put any weight on it....she holds it up when she hops around.

I've already called the vet and he said that it should pass, and that he's already given her some strong pain meds that should last through the night.

He said that it's just as if she's had a mastectomy. The trauma was minimized by using laser, but she still has some major recovery of the muscle & tissues on her chest...especially the left side (the side she's favoring).

I'm to reassess her condition in the morningand call him if she still appears to be in pain. He said he couldprescribe some Metacam if needed.
I think I'll call first thing in the morning and ask him to prescribe it anyway. I can pick it up during the morning and stop home to give her some if needed.

JimD wrote:
It turned out to be an unusualcongenital defect.
She had an extramammary gland on her chest/neck that developed a benign cystic teratoma.
Well, if that don't beat all...That diagnosis was the last thing from my mind. Who knew that was possible?

I'll be that you're relieved to now have an "official" answer as to the cause of Chippy's (now-defunct) lump.

Give that sweet girl some extra soft kisses on her nose/forehead region for me!

By the way, is the sleep-over still on for tonight? :biggrin2:

Poor baby. What a wierd "extra!" I'm surprised he didn't send her home with Metacam though. That's sensitive tissue. I certainly wouldn't want to have a mastectomy without a ton of pain meds!:shock:

Does she have something warm to snuggle with, like a rice sock?

Hopefully this will end the whole cyst saga. Chippy's been to the vet so much for it!

Jenk wrote:
I don't think so.

I think the extra time at the vet during recovery helped a lot.
Last time I brought her home shortly after surgery and she got real shocky.

She seems to be resting comfortably right now.
She made a bed of hay and is all stretched out on it.

I'm leaving a night-light on in the bun's room, and I'll check on her at least once an hour through the night.

JimD wrote:
Jenk wrote:
I don't think so.

I think the extra time at the vet during recovery helped a lot.
Last time I brought her home shortly after surgery and she got real shocky.
I figured that it might be more for your well-being. ;) But if she's resting well, sometimes it's best to let sleeping buns lie....

naturestee wrote:
Poor baby. What a wierd "extra!" I'm surprised he didn't send her home with Metacam though. That's sensitive tissue. I certainly wouldn't want to have a mastectomy without a ton of pain meds!:shock:

Does she have something warm to snuggle with, like a rice sock?

Hopefully this will end the whole cyst saga. Chippy's been to the vet so much for it!

I should have asked him for the Metacam, but I was so distracted discussing what he found that I forgot.
I'm feeling a little guilty that Chippy may have to go through some unecessary pain on my account now.

I tried warm towels and then a rice sock. She'd have nothing to do with either.
For now, I'll leave her to her own desires.

***fingers crossed*** hoping that the issue has been resolved.

Latest posts

Back