Chippy's got a lump (benign cystic teratoma.....extra ingrown mammary gland)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
I found it earlier this evening.

I noticed that her dewlap was looking a bit lopsided recently, but she's always pulling fur from it so it's uneven most of the time.

And I first noticed she was laying differently last week.....with one front leg folded back instead of stretched out as normal.

Tonight she was sitting with her front legdrawn back again...and laying the same way.
The lump was noticeable so I decided to check it.
Chippy hates to be handled or picked up, but she let me check her without a fuss.

When I found the lump and pressed on it she whimpered a little.
It's on her chest, below her dewlap, just over her left leg.
It's the size of a small walnut, and developed rather quickly.
It feels encapsulated, and as if it may be rooted or attached.
My guess...abscess....or tumor.

She doesn't seem to be bothered, and is acting normal in every way. Although she seemed to get tired and rest a lot during her runtime tonight.

I'll be taking her to the vet as soon as I can.

:tears2:

Oh Jim, poor you and Chippy. I know how this is to go through. I found a lump on Angel as you'll recall. It was a tumour, but it was quite small when I found it, about the size of a small bead. Took awhile to get bigger, a few months actually.

I'll be thinking of you guys! I pray it's next to nothing:pray:.

So sorry to hear of Chippy's lump! does it make it better that its in a Dewlap (fatty substance?)..

When isChippy going in? I'll keep her in my prayers but will be looking for an update as to what is found out..

Best of luck toJimD!

I wish that the vet finds out it's a lump of fat or an encapsulated abscess and not a tumor...

Best of luck to Chippy - let us know what's the diagnosis.

Marietta

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

I didn't sleep very well last night, When I did doze off, I'd wake up a short while later and remember this all over again.

======================================================

Bo B Bunny wrote:

How's she doing? Have you made an appointment yet?

She seems to be doing fine...except for the lump.
She was her regular bouncy self at breakfast this morning.
She wouldn't let me check her this morning, and even nipped me a couple of times. It's like she saying, "OK...you know I have a lump....now go do what you need to do about it."

I need to decide about which vet to take her to.
I love my vet, but she's very expensive.
MrsD told me that the vet we take our dogs to, also treats rabbits. I'm going to call his office later and see if I can talk to him.

~Jim
:sigh:

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I found a lump on Angel as you'll recall. It was a tumour, but it was quite small when I found it, about the size of a small bead. Took awhile to get bigger, a few months actually.

It may have been developing for a while.
I've been so focused on her GI issues, that I may have overlooked it.
It wasn't noticable last week when she was out for runtime.
Now that I know about it, I can notice it all the time.
And I now realize that she has been tucking her left foot under when she lays down. If she stretches it out, you can really see the lump.

juliew19673 wrote:
Does it make it better that its in a Dewlap (fatty substance?)..

When isChippy going in?
It's actually below her dewlap....kind of on her chest....on the left side....just above her leg.

I just booked an appointment for tomorrow at 11:45am(EST).
It's with a new vet...well not really new. They treat our dogs and have been more than accommodating.
They were the one's that treated Lilah when she got attacked by that other dog, and they charged us just for meds and materials.
MrsD has already checked to make sure they have experience with rabbits.

http://www.pomptonlakesanimalhospital.com/index.html

This is the best pic I can get for now.
You can see the lump on her left side, over her leg, under her dewlap...

IMG_2139.jpg

Oooohhhh poor Chippy!! Its like she has a double dewlap (well that I guess would be better..) At least she is with you.. I sent up a prayer forChippy and yourself. Asalways paws crossed!

Chippy had HOURS of runtime last night.
She ran and binkied until she wore herself out, and then she came over and flopped next to me.....something that she NEVER does.

She got lots of extra treats, and I took a bunch of pictures.

She seems to be ok.....eating/drinking/pooping/peeing.....active and alert.

The lump is still there.....I was hoping it would disappear overnight somehow.

So now I'm praying really hard that whatever it is can be taken care of.....and secondly that it doesn't cost me a small fortune.

I have to go in to work and run some reports this morning. Then I'm off to see Dr. Cattiny.

Back