bunny digging at other bunny after spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmoluna

Reaction score
hi all- so yesterday morning my bunny luna got spayed. before this, luna and cosmo (male) would free roam in my room 24/7 together happily with no fighting for around 3 months. just grooming, cuddling, and playing. when luna returned from surgery, she was really cold all over and i had to stay with her and keep her warm. she was also fairly lethargic, and so i let cosmo into her healing pen to try and let him cuddle her to warm her up. he groomed her for a few minutes and she fell asleep, when all of the sudden he started attacking her. he is neutered and has never shown aggression to anyone or anybun. we immediately separated them after the fight. Cosmo has seemed very stressed since she left for surgery, and has been very hyperactive. He would wait outside the pen for her, and wanted to see her. A few hours later, luna seemed awake and responsive, and warmer to the touch (yay!) she walked over to the bars of the pen, he started grooming her through the bars, she fell asleep, and he started digging on her head. ever since then, I moved luna to an indoor hutch for her to recover in so that Mo can’t hurt her through the hutch, and Mo is in an x pen when I’m gone. When i’m there to supervise, I still let him free roam, and he’ll go to the hutch and try to cuddle up, but will also try digging at her through the wire walls of the hutch. I dont really know where to go from here, as my top priority right now is luna’s healing and keeping cosmo calm. is this digging at her normal or aggressive behavior? how do I keep cosmo calm without her for awhile? i would love some help as I am very stressed

I read that digging on another rabbit is their way of asking to mate. My unbonded, fixed rabbits will spend all day long digging at the bars of their pens trying to get each other's attention. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

I read that digging on another rabbit is their way of asking to mate. My unbonded, fixed rabbits will spend all day long digging at the bars of their pens trying to get each other's attention. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

I thought so, but after removing the gap between their pens to see what would happen, cosmo tried biting her through the bars immediately so i dont know if thats what it is or not ):

Latest posts

Back