Ahhohh No!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hayley411 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Sage is a REW Mini Rex, And Bruce is a Chinchilla Mini Rex.

~Hayley

Hayley is correct.

Yes Ray is the baby that Lily had. He isnt yet a year old so maybe that it why. Sage is due next Wednesday and we think she is pregnant so hopefully she is!

tonyshuman wrote:
Is Autumn a harli? She is very pretty (and of course so is Sippi). Best of luck~~

Thanks! No Autumn is a mix breed but we think she may have some Harli in her since she is harli coloured and has thrown at least four harli babies before.

ONE MORE DAY! I am getting so nervous. Thankfully there is no school tomorrow due to flooding so I can be here with her in case something goes wrong. I will make sure to check on her at 7 am and then every hour or so after if she hasn't had them.

ETA: Thank you Skybunny.

I feel pretty dumb asking this:) But I just recently come on again and is BSAR and BlueSkyAcresRabbitry the same person....I know it is a stupid thing to ask in the middle of this situation but I am confusing *I feels myself getting dumber*

Skybunny11 wrote:
I feel pretty dumb asking this:) But I just recently come on again and is BSAR and BlueSkyAcresRabbitry the same person....I know it is a stupid thing to ask in the middle of this situation but I am confusing *I feels myself getting dumber*
I thought they were sisters?

TinysMom wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Thought I'd update on Sage too. I palpated her today, and I think I felt a baby! Not totally sure though. We're just hoping she is pregnant. She's 9 months old...so if she isn't pregnant, is it alright to re-bred her again? I didn't think it was and want to know. I'm beginning to think that either she or Ray is sterile...:( Maybe I should breed Bruce to her? He's a Chinchilla - is that alright?

Emily
Emily - refresh my memory on Sage...what breed is she? What color? She is a REW Mini Rex. She's 9 months old this month... Born April 1st, 2008. Is she too old to breed if she didn't take this time?

You say "he is a chinchilla" - do you mean in coloring - or in the chinchilla breed (isn't there a chinchilla breed of rabbit? I forget..duh!) Bruce is a Chinchilla Mini Rex ;)

I was thinking Sage was Netherland Dwarf - in which case I'd probably try to breed her again a couple more times to make sure she's had babies before she's a year old if you're going to use her for breeding. But honestly - Polly is more of an expert on Nethies. I'll put it this way - if she was a lionhead - I'd be breeding her every month for the next two to three months until she 'took'....just to get that first litter in ASAP. I think it would help if we could see a picture of her and make sure she's not overweight, etc. My sister took a picture of her last night, and I'll ask for her to put it up. Sage isn't overweight, I don't think. When we first thought she was pregnant, the first time we bred her, she got fat cuz we feed her too much, but she's much slimmer now. ;)

As far as Ray...isn't he the baby y'all had there?Yesindeed he is.I'm asking because - and this is going to sound stupid I know - but I've had some bucks that I swear won't get a doe pregnant until they're about a year old. Its like they have to mature or something and they just "shoot blanks" as I've been told. They mate...they just don't do anything. Lovely. lol. He'll be 1 year old on Feb. 10th.

My buck Recharged was like that - I bred him and bred him and bred him from the time he was like 6 months old till he was a year old. He'd mount and fall off...but no babies.

I was frustrated and I mentioned this to his original breeder (a well known lionhead breeder) and she stated that some bucks just need a bit more time to mature. Sure enough...I tried him again when he was about a year old...and I had babies. I do hope this is Ray's problem, or that I just suck at palpating Sage! Lol.

Then again - I had an 8 1/2 week old buck get his mama pregnant yikes!- so I guess they can breed early or breed late. It was in one of my first litters and I left the babies in with mama till they were almost 9 weeks old. About 28 days after removing the litter (3 does and 1 boy)....mama had another litter. She was not caged near a buck and had not been exposed to a buck in any way - other than her son. I mean - she was like 3 cages away from any bucks and I was the only one who handled them....

My point? From my experience - I now never count on a buck to be sterile - or non-sterile based on age or anything else.

Maybe you could breed her to someone else's buck if you paid some stud fees? That might be an option to consider too.....We are going to try Bruce and Karlee's black mini Rex (Winston) if she doesn't take this time. ;)

Good luck - I know you're wanting babies from her! Yes. I will be dissapointed. Do you think if she didn't take this time, should I re-breed her, even though she's 9 months old....? I can try Karlee's (FallingStar's) black mini rex buck, Winston. We know Bruce can produce, but Win has never fathered a litter as far as Karlee knows...but it's worth a shot right?
My replies are in bold, Peg. :)

No problem Skybunny.

Thought I'd give a little update. We got back from feeding the bunnies this evening around 6:45. While we were out there, we cleaned out Autumn's nestbox, saved all the fur we could, and laid some shavings down, made a nest out of hay and then put the fur on the hay in the back so she could pull it down on top of the kits once she has them.

My sister is going to be checkingAuttie early in the morning (I would but I'm sick, and will go out later with her) to see how she's doing/if she's had the babies. We are prepared at any point to rush her to the vet in case something goes wrong...given the vets are open, as there is lots of flooding in our area, and the freeway is being shut down (we could take the back roads, but they're probably under water too. The closest vet too us doesn't treat rabbits :grumpy:, the one we regularly go to is only like 10 or 12 miles down the road.)

Updates to come in the morning!!!!! Stay tuned.

Pray that Autumn has a safe delivery, that she and the kits are well, and nothing goes wrong. :pray::pray:

Emily

Well, a sad discovery when we walked into the shed about 8:30 this morning. Two DOA kits, laid on the wire, seperate from each other. Neither looked like a pencil kit, but one had it's tongue out. It looked like Autumn was just finishing cleaning up, because she was sitting near one of the babies. We think she still has more in her, but not sure. Can't tell exactly when the babies were born, either.

If only we'd gone out earlier to check :(

We are going to be going out there every 15 minutes to check up on her though, make sure she's doing OK and see if she's had any more babies. She didn't even finishing making her nest that she started last week....:( One baby was under the water bottle on the wire, the other was where she goes potty :( She's never had babies on the wire before...don't know why she had them there this time.

Right now Mandi is going back to check on her.

When we left, she was barely touching her food, and she was laying down. I felt her lower abdomen, but it just felt squishy, like normal, not hard like it did yesterday when I felt the babies.

I showed the DOA kits to Sippi (the bad boy father) and he just sniffed them and pushed past me and out of the cage...I showed them to Lily also, and she was trying to lick them clean :) What a good girl, trying to help Auttie. Magic got really upset when I showed them to him - he's had 4 litters before, the ones with Autumn, and he's even taken care of an entire litter for a night when they got out of the nestbox and somehow fell down into his cage....- He was stomping his foot, and throwing a temper tantrum, disgusted I think, that the babies were dead. He's an emotional guy. :(

Will update again with any news ;) :pray:

Emily

I just got back from checking Autumn again, she was sitting calmly in her cage. I was petting her and she was walking around a bit too. Not eating. I gave her a little treat and she ate some. She was also drinking water.

I am scared for her. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers that she is fine and that if she has more babies they will be alive and healthy.

I don't really care that the kits are dead, I am more worried about Autumn, though babies would be nice finally.

:pray:

I checked on her again, and nothing. She was just cleaning herself and drinking some water.

I have tums, should I give her one? Is there anything else that I could give her that has the same effect as tums? Bananas maybe?

She won't eat her pellets so I think she is just tired and all. She was lying down when I walked in the shed.

I'm so sorry about the loss of the babies. I'll keep her in my thoughts and hope she'll be alright. Did the two babies look bigger then normal (if they weren't pencil kits they must have been alright for her size though?)

If she is still not acting normal then you really need to think about a vet. As you know they return to normal very quickly when they have finished giving birth, and if she is not acting normal then it implies she has not finished, and if she has not finished yet, then that is a LOOOOOOOOONG kindling and she needs some sort of help. Have you checked her 'girlie bits'?

I tried to check, but my sister was not out there to help me so I couldn't really look. We can go back out and check though.

Latest posts

Back