Ahhohh No!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emily, I think I got what you meant by not looking alike. I have two sons that are two years apart but at times people used to confuse them. If i were detached i would see how they were similar but knowing them so intimately I just was shocked that peple couldn't tell them apart:biggrin2:

When we went to feed about 30 minutes or more ago Autumn still hadn't finished her pellets from this morning. She has eating quite a bit of hay, pooed, peed and also dranken quite a bit of water.

She seemed to be shaking a little bit and she has been breathing a bit faster than normal. We looked at her girlie bits and we aren't sure what to look for, since we have never looked right after a doe has given birth but her girlie bits were blueish/purplish and a bit swollen. Is this normal? We are going back out in a bit to take her some banana and we are going to take a pic.

We are thinking she might just be upset about the babies, and stressed out from today, we have been in and out all day. And she also hasn't had a litter in over a year so that could be why she is not feeling herself also.

But please any info we need! Please pray for her also. I don't know if I would be able to take her to the vet tomorrow if she is still not better, becaue my mom will be gone for most of the day.

:pray:please get better Autumn.

ETA: We went out and gave her some banana. And she sucked it down. We are going to see what type of Tums we have so we can give her a little bit to get her calcium back up and all. We forgot the camera so no pic. But you can pretty much get the idea of what her girlie bits look like from what I explained above. I am going to get up early tomorrow again to check on her and all. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

aww bless her im sorry yous lost the kits :Xand i hope Autumn is feeling better soon im thinking she may be stressed from having the kits. her girly bits dont sound to good but then i dont know what girly bits look like after birth as i dont breed! personally id have her checked over by a vet.

She might be a little swollen and bruised looking after a difficult delivery. But she should be back to normal within 48 hours of kindling. Check her again this afternoon and see if her vulva is looking more normal.

The Tums won't hurt her. Any excess will be excreted. Keep an eye on her, make sure she is eating and drinking. (Yeah, and make sure she is pooping!) Check her nipples to see if her milk came in. (That can cause a drop in calcium levels too.) Keep an eye on her belly for the next few days. Just make sure she doesn't develop mastitis from the milk buildup. She should just dry up in a couple days.

I'm sorry about Autumn. :(When you called me yesterday and told me about Autumn I was really upset, because I was excited to see the little wigglers.

Hopefully Autumn recovers great, and is back to normal.
She'll probably be sad for a couple of days. :(

RIP Little babies.

Karlee:hug::pray:

I didn't know about the loss of calcium due to giving birth. I totally trust Bluegiants on that giving Tums won't hurt. Sorry for confusion, I was just going on what I know about rabbits' GI tracts, plus knowledge that most adult bunnies don't handle large amounts of calcium well and it can cause bladder sludge. I think one or two Tums, especially in a doe that had been pregnant, shouldn't cause problems. I'm still concerned that she may have another kit in there. Do any of the breeders know what the color of her genital area indicates?

BlueGiants wrote:
She might be a little swollen and bruised looking after a difficult delivery. But she should be back to normal within 48 hours of kindling. Check her again this afternoon and see if her vulva is looking more normal.

The Tums won't hurt her. Any excess will be excreted. Keep an eye on her, make sure she is eating and drinking. (Yeah, and make sure she is pooping!) Check her nipples to see if her milk came in. (That can cause a drop in calcium levels too.) Keep an eye on her belly for the next few days. Just make sure she doesn't develop mastitis from the milk buildup. She should just dry up in a couple days.

Ok. We are still not sue if the tums we have are ok. We haven't even gone out to feed yet, we woke up really late today;). We are going out in just a few minutes so we will check her girle bits and all. Ok we will watch for mastitis.

Thank you Fallingstar, peek--boo, and Tonyshuman. :)

it does not mtter what i wrote..............

it was not excally helpful, because some one said it already. and i was wrong in some info.

sorry

Ok just got back.

Autumn hadn't ate or drank much since last night. But she had pooed and peed.

We gave her some treats and she ate that. We are getting ready to make a salad and then we are going to find out what type o ftums we have. Does it matter what type? I think they just have to be regular ones and all, I am not sure we have those.

Her girlie bits are still bluish colored, but not as swollen. And she was hoppoing around more when we were checking on her.

Okay I am pretty sure we don't have the right type of tums, plus I don't know where they're at. We found out that oranges have lots of calcium so we gave Autumn a few small pieces of orange and some more banana.

It's good that the swelling has gone down a little. Keep an eye on her and if it gets worse, you may need to have her checked by the vet.

I use the fruit flavored Tums (they seem to like the orange kind!), but any Tums will do. If you have the plain ones, crush one up and sprinkle over her food.

How are the roads by you? I heard about the flooding out your way.

BlueGiants wrote:
It's good that the swelling has gone down a little. Keep an eye on her and if it gets worse, you may need to have her checked by the vet.

I use the fruit flavored Tums (they seem to like the orange kind!), but any Tums will do. If you have the plain ones, crush one up and sprinkle over her food.

The roads aren't bad near where we are, mostly just farther south and west. We had a little water on the roads, but not so much that we can't go places.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:

The roads aren't bad near where we are, mostly just farther south and west. We had a little water on the roads, but not so much that we can't go places.

Emily

Hah, your lucky Emily. I can't go any where! I'm trapped! :pHopefully nothing bad happens to one of my rabbits because than I couldn't take them to the vet. :(But they all are healthy.

That's great that Autumn is getting a little better, sounds like you guys are taking good care of her! Good job guys!

Karlee

First of all....:hugsquish:

I'm so sorry about the loss of the babies (I'm just now checking on this thread...so I'm way behind the times here). I had really been looking forward to watching your litter grow - even if they were an "oops" litter.

I don't worry if a doe's privates are swollen for about 24 hours or so after giving birth. Usually they go down - sometimes not quite so soon as I'd like. (I learned this after rushing a doe to the vet for x-rays about 36 hours after giving birth..she was fine - but the Xrays weren't cheap).

Actually - I should say I don't worry for the first 24 hours if she's acting normal and not panting, etc. and acting as if she is in labor.

I know of another rabbit breeder who had a doe go into almost seizures shortly before giving birth. She remembered reading about the lowered calcium levels and got some calcium in her (I think she was desperate and she crushed up one of her own calcium pills from the doctor). The doe recovered and went on to have a healthy litter the next day. I think I still have all the details and can go and reread it....

Anyway - what I did after that point in time was to always have tums available - or to have fresh spinach or baby food spinach on hand. I can't get baby food spinach here locally....

I say this to say - you might want to get some spinach baby food to keep on hand for the future. I think a jar is like .55 or so - so it would be a cheap backup item to have on hand.

Anyway - I'm sorry for your losses....I'm glad Autumn seems to be doing better.

TinysMom wrote:
First of all....:hugsquish:

I'm so sorry about the loss of the babies (I'm just now checking on this thread...so I'm way behind the times here). I had really been looking forward to watching your litter grow - even if they were an "oops" litter.

I don't worry if a doe's privates are swollen for about 24 hours or so after giving birth. Usually they go down - sometimes not quite so soon as I'd like. (I learned this after rushing a doe to the vet for x-rays about 36 hours after giving birth..she was fine - but the Xrays weren't cheap).

Actually - I should say I don't worry for the first 24 hours if she's acting normal and not panting, etc. and acting as if she is in labor.

I know of another rabbit breeder who had a doe go into almost seizures shortly before giving birth. She remembered reading about the lowered calcium levels and got some calcium in her (I think she was desperate and she crushed up one of her own calcium pills from the doctor). The doe recovered and went on to have a healthy litter the next day. I think I still have all the details and can go and reread it....

Anyway - what I did after that point in time was to always have tums available - or to have fresh spinach or baby food spinach on hand. I can't get baby food spinach here locally....

I say this to say - you might want to get some spinach baby food to keep on hand for the future. I think a jar is like .55 or so - so it would be a cheap backup item to have on hand.

Anyway - I'm sorry for your losses....I'm glad Autumn seems to be doing better.

I will definitley have to remember spinach baby food, thank you, Peg. Sage is due next Wednesday, and so I will try and make it to the store if I can to get some baby food.....

Emily

FallingStar wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:

Emily

Hah, your lucky Emily. I can't go any where! I'm trapped! :pHopefully nothing bad happens to one of my rabbits because than I couldn't take them to the vet. :(But they all are healthy.

That's great that Autumn is getting a little better, sounds like you guys are taking good care of her! Good job guys!

Karlee

Has your road started to flood yet? That sucks that you guys can't go anywhere :(

Emily

I just want to say thank you for everyone who has helped us out! Its such a relief to know that what Autumn is going through, other does go through too and that the swollen girlie bits are normal.

I really thought that Autumn was very sick and everything, and I am glad to be reassured by you all.

Thank you for all of your advice and everything!

Amanda

P.s: Does anyone know if the oranges will help for replacing calcium? We gave her some because they are high in calicum, does anyone think they will work the same way as tums?

We can still giver her some tums later if we need too. :)

Your both great bunny mammy's and Autumn is very lucky to have both of ye to look after her, ye both are very dedicated and both seem to do everything possible to care for your rabbits and make sure Autumn is healthy and happy.

Latest posts

Back