Ahhohh No!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the doe will be OK with the larger buck because she has had several litters before. If she was a first time mom I would be more concerned.

I would leave her on the 1/3 cup of pellets a day until after she kindles. It sounds like she is an easy keeper and increasing her pellets will just put weight on her and she will have a harder time kindling especially if she only has one or two. My bred does are kept on the same amount of pellets as when they are not bred. As a matter of fact if I know a doe is prone to having only one or two I cut down on her pellets until after she kindles so the babies won't be too big. Pregnancy does not cause a doe to lose weight, nursing the kits does.

Roger

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
I think the doe will be OK with the larger buck because she has had several litters before. If she was a first time mom I would be more concerned.

I would leave her on the 1/3 cup of pellets a day until after she kindles. It sounds like she is an easy keeper and increasing her pellets will just put weight on her and she will have a harder time kindling especially if she only has one or two. My bred does are kept on the same amount of pellets as when they are not bred. As a matter of fact if I know a doe is prone to having only one or two I cut down on her pellets until after she kindles so the babies won't be too big. Pregnancy does not cause a doe to lose weight, nursing the kits does.

Roger

So 1/3 cup a day, half in morning half in night like we're doing now?

Emily

YesI would leave her on that ration and make sure she has plenty of hay.

Roger

oh wow! What a naughty boy! :p

Well, hope all goes well with your little Autumn! <3

I palpated her today.....but I am SO suck-ish at doing it lately, that I can't tell what a baby might be and what organs are! I put my hands on each side of her stomach and tried to feel anything pass through my fingers -- I felt something, but not sure if it was a baby....

I'm just going to say she is pregnant, because we need to prepare for that. She may not be, but until her due date comes, we won't know for sure.

Emily

When you palpate her feel very low and towards the rear of her abdomen. They will feel like grapes. Very round and firm unlike waste which is not as firm.

Roger

Becca wrote:
So your sure couldn't you take her to the vet to be palpated??

I'm not sure yet, and I'm going to palpate her again today.

It costs WAYY to much to take my rabbit to the vet just to be palpated ;) Around $50. When I can do it for free, and just assume she's pregnant and be ready, that's easiest. ;)

Emily

I can understand that theory, and your right, vets charge WAY to much..

If I have a sick rabbit I'll often just find the correct quantity and buy the medication myself....

Ali_1010 wrote:
I can understand that theory, and your right, vets charge WAY to much..

If I have a sick rabbit I'll often just find the correct quantity and buy the medication myself....

Yeah. I just don't see any reason taking her to just for palpating. If she's not pregnant, what a waste of money, when I could use it for an emergency ;) My vets charge $31 just for a dang visit, and on top of that they'd charge for the exam which I have no idea how much that is....so it could get spendy.

I will just assume she's pregnant and be prepared. If she is, then we'll have kits, if not then we won't. And we'll continue to watch her in case she does need a vet for emergency reasons, but just for palpating, it's not worth it.

Emily

Emily,

Once you get used to it there is a definate difference in the feel of a fecal pellet and a fetus. The fetus is firm and slippery and definately bigger than a fecal pellet. The fecal pellets will actually feel soft. You won't hurt the fetus by palpating. What you are feeling is actually the amniotic sack.

Roger

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Emily,

Once you get used to it there is a definate difference in the feel of a fecal pellet and a fetus. The fetus is firm and slippery and definately bigger than a fecal pellet. The fecal pellets will actually feel soft. You won't hurt the fetus by palpating. What you are feeling is actually the amniotic sack.

Roger

Thanks, Roger. I will try to feel the fetus better when I palpate her again when I feed. I used to be really good at it, and could find out if they were pregnant within 5 min. of palpating. After so long of no litters, it's left me, lol.

Thanks, Ali. lol.

Emily

I palpated Autumn again today and what I felt, felt like what Roger described! :) So, I'd say that she is indeed pregnant. I'm guessing 2-4 kits from what I felt, but I could be wrong.

By the way, if you don't know this yet, her due date is January 8th! :)

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
On the litter fact, she has had four litters before, so it's not like she's never been bred before. She is on the chunky side, hence why she has been on a diet; she'll continue to be on this diet if she's pregnant, so the kits dont grow to big.

Emily

I would give her the normal ration for a pregnant doe. Since you mentioned that the 2 rabbits are close in size, the kits growing too large is not an issue.

Pam

Latest posts

Back