Ahhohh No!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry.:( As for giving her Tums, I wouldn't do that. Do you think her tummy is upset? I don't breed, but I wouldn't think that she'd be hungry right after unsuccessfully giving birth. If she's not eating right away, that seems normal to me. If you are concerned about her stomach being upset, I'd try simethicone instead. Tums will just make her stomach less acidic, which I think could be bad for rabbits since they have such a delicate balance of bacteria in their digestive system and pH changes could cause problems for them.

Edit: according to Flashy, it sounds like a girlie goes back to normal quickly after giving birth. A vet is better than giving her stomach meds.

tonyshuman wrote:
I'm so sorry.:( As for giving her Tums, I wouldn't do that. Do you think her tummy is upset? I don't breed, but I wouldn't think that she'd be hungry right after unsuccessfully giving birth. If she's not eating right away, that seems normal to me. If you are concerned about her stomach being upset, I'd try simethicone instead. Tums will just make her stomach less acidic, which I think could be bad for rabbits since they have such a delicate balance of bacteria in their digestive system and pH changes could cause problems for them.

Tums replenishes the calcium that they lose while giving birth. But I don't know if you can give it to them right after. Thats why i was asking.

We just got back from checking Autumn.

We looked at her "girlie bits" but since I didn't know whatI should be looking for, nothing looked wrong at all. They were a pinkish/purplish colour. We massaged her tummy and felt for any more kits, couldn't feel anything. Put her back in her cage and she started eating pellets and nibbling hay. She's not acting weird....I'm sure she's tired from the delivery, though; but she's eating and drinking water and hopping around and checking things out, just like normal.

Emily

Sounds like she is back to normal. Thank God. A shame about the babies though.

Quick update.

Mandi (Amanda (BSAR)) went out and took a piece of banana with her for Autumn. She said that Autumn was eating her pellets and she sucked up the banana. She put her little camera on video and set it to record 22 minutes so we can have a video of Autumn and see what she's doing while we're not out there.

Emily

If she is eating normally and drinking, she should be fine now. I'm sorry about the loss of the kits. If you had given her a Tums, it wouldn't hurt her. A rabbit will excrete excess calcium in their urine.

Thank you Blue Giants.

We havent given her a Tums. Once I get the video I will put it up on here so you can all watch her.;)

ETA: I went out to get camera and it died! So I only got 2 short videos. I forgot i needed new batteries. I will still put the videos up. Darn I really wanted a whole 22 min! oh well. She was eating when I was getting the camera so that is good.

Ok here is the video. I had just left and it turned off like 20 seconds later.

I am not uploading the next one since its just of her eating. But I will get another longer video. Enjoy;)

I'm not a breeder but I would hazard a guess that eating the placentas after the birthing would be quite filling, and the rabbit probably wouldn't feel that hungry. Placentas can be pretty big right?

Sorry this happened, and I have to ask, why did you show the dead babies to some of your other rabbits? Not trying to be offensive, just curious, as I would think that would upset them smelling dead rabbits.

I almost always show the babies to the other bunnies to see what they think of them, even the alive ones (although, once they're much older, around 3 weeks). The other bunnies are aware of what's going on when a doe has babies, and I'm sure they want to see the kits. I

Emily

Oh no I'm so sorry about your kits! I was looking forward to tons of baby bunny pics :(Hope Autumn recovers quickly!

I think it's really sweet to involve the other rabbits by showing them the kits (dead or alive) I am sure even though they are probably in seperate cages it gives them a sense of community.

I'm sorry the babies were dead Emily but its good she is ok :)

SOme of my does go back to eating straight away esp when it all goes well. but i also have does that won't eat for sometimes a day or so umless its vegetables they will always eat them ;)

Sabine wrote:
I think it's really sweet to involve the other rabbits by showing them the kits (dead or alive) I am sure even though they are probably in seperate cages it gives them a sense of community.

Thank you. I think it lets them know that there has been a loss, and they will better understand why the mother may be a little sad. I always like seeing the response they make when they see the younger babies. It's so cute when the daddies clean their kits. :)

Emily

I respect your opinion :), I see your reasoning, I just don't understand it. I didn't want to show my dead baby to my relatives when I was induced as I would think that would be upsetting, but I guess each to their own. If it helps the buns to understand what's going on...? In the wild animals often view other mothers dead babies so it must help in some way.

I am very sorry this happened and you have my sympathies, it's not nice is it? Poor you and poor Autumn. She's such a cool rabbit :cool:, and very pretty.

Ooh! Before I forget! How are you an identical twin if you look nothing alike, lol! :?

NZminilops wrote:
I respect your opinion :), I see your reasoning, I just don't understand it. I didn't want to show my dead baby to my relatives when I was induced as I would think that would be upsetting, but I guess each to their own. If it helps the buns to understand what's going on...? In the wild animals often view other mothers dead babies so it must help in some way.

I am very sorry this happened and you have my sympathies, it's not nice is it? Poor you and poor Autumn. She's such a cool rabbit :cool:, and very pretty.

Ooh! Before I forget! How are you an identical twin if you look nothing alike, lol! :?

Thank you, NZ, and I respect your opinion too :)

No, it's not nice. I'm just glad that Autumn is ok, although it is sad that the kits died, even though they weren't planned, you still have that urge to save them.

I think we look nothing alike, but we are identical. lol. :biggrin2:Others think we look alike, but I dont see it...I just don't.

Emily

Latest posts

Back