Ahhohh No!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well good news brings sad news.

Sage was pregnant. She was building her nest this morning when we were feeding and I begged my mom to let me stay home to help her, but she said NO. I was extremely pissed.

Sage had her babies, but they died shortly after because she didn't make them a proper nest. :( There was some fur, but she didn't cover them at all. I know this would of been prevented if my mom had let me or my sister stay home to watch Sage, because we would of watched her until she had them and then made a proper nest. I knew this morning that the nest wasn't going to be good enough, hence my suggestion for one of us to stay home.

She had three, by the way. Some look like they were bruised on the noses, but I was thinking it's probably because they're dead, the blood wasn't there, but im not sure. No pencil kits (of course, this is just her first litter, and she's 9 months old.), no peanuts, just a runt, and they were all healthy looking, except for the fact that they were dead :(

Minnesota was bred on the 12th. I'm wondering when would it be ok to re-breed Sage? I don't want to do it today, and wouldn't even if it was OK, since she just gave birth and all....but I do want her and Minnie's litter quite close, in case something goes wrong. Minnie is due Feb. 12th.

The plan this year was for all litters due so that the babies would be ready for shows (to sell, not to show ;)) ....that's not how it's been happening and that makes me upset. I really hope Minnie's litter survives, and Sage's next, because I'm about to give up :(

Emily

I'm so sorry about your loss of your baby bunnies. :(

But I don't think you should breed her again, because you have already bred her twice, and one time she really wasn't preggo, and now she had babies but they died. So I think you should just give her a rest, and possibly not breed her again because it's probably alot of stress on Sage and all. But it's your guy's choice.

^ My :twocents

Karlee

FallingStar wrote:
I'm so sorry about your loss of your baby bunnies. :(

But I don't think you should breed her again, because you have already bred her twice, and one time she really wasn't preggo, and now she had babies but they died. So I think you should just give her a rest, and possibly not breed her again because it's probably alot of stress on Sage and all. But it's your guy's choice.

^ My :twocents

Karlee

Thanks Karlee.

Yeah we were talking about this awhile ago. I think we're just going to breed her in a few months (which would of been her second original breeding, if she had taken the first time back in Nov.) that way we can let her rest, and until then bond with her. Plus, if we did re-breed her, it'd be more hectic, what with Minnie's babies (and they'll be enough to keep us busy!).

So we wouldn't be expecting a litter from Sage until May, breeding in April. I think this is what we'll do. :)

Emily

I can't see why you shouldn't breed her again, lot's of first time mothers don't make proper nests and often first time litters die, sounds to me like she just needs practice, if you want to breed her again I'm pretty sure you do it three days later, but if you want to wait awhile that's cool too.

I can't see a reason why Sage shouldn't get another chance if you want to breed her. I'm really sorry you guys haven't had much luck lately :(

irishbunny wrote:
I can't see why you shouldn't breed her again, lot's of first time mothers don't make proper nests and often first time litters die, sounds to me like she just needs practice, if you want to breed her again I'm pretty sure you do it three days later, but if you want to wait awhile that's cool too.

I can't see a reason why Sage shouldn't get another chance if you want to breed her. I'm really sorry you guys haven't had much luck lately :(

I am not rebreeding her until April. That's when she was supposed to be bred for her second litter anyway, and then we'll have time to bond with her and stuff.

If i didn't rebreed her, I'd just have to sell her and get a new doe. There's nothing wrong with her in the aspect that she can't be bred again. She still can, since she had this litter, and it's very sad they passed, I was looking forward to babies finally.

Emily

I'm so sorry to hear you lost another litter. Maybe it's just not the right season. Hope things will work out next time round

If i didn't rebreed her, I'd just have to sell her and get a new doe. There's nothing wrong with her in the aspect that she can't be bred again. She still can, since she had this litter, and it's very sad they passed, I was looking forward to babies finally.

Emily

I agree with you here, I think it would be fine to bred her again, it was only her first litter, it's common for first litters to die.

Latest posts

Back