Advice on my rabbit’s diet please!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyisthecoolest

Reaction score
Hi, i’m a fairly new rabbit owner and has had my 5 and a half month old rabbit for over a month now

So far, i feed him a handful of lettuce and 3 slices of pepper or cucumber or carrot twice a day for breakfast and dinner. He also has pellets and hay on offer for him 24/7

I thought that maybe i was feeding him too much since he looks bigger than when i got him but when i visited his siblings, they were a bigger then him. He is quite active and loves running and jumping around his outdoor run, and i’ve noticed he gets especially energetic after his breakfast and dinner. I also don’t know what type of rabbit he is so it’s difficult to do my own research

If you have any, advice on how much i should feed my rabbit is greatly appreciated. i’ll attach some photos of him in different positions for reference!
AD538FD6-7E6B-4087-A840-A1231785F9B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 89B4903E-D32D-443A-84E3-0ACE64047CF9.jpeg
    89B4903E-D32D-443A-84E3-0ACE64047CF9.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 3
  • F48138A5-ED71-4CF8-B5A4-45255868E61A.jpeg
    F48138A5-ED71-4CF8-B5A4-45255868E61A.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 3
If you could weigh your bun it would be great. I do for my 10/11 pound girl: 1 cup of greens per 2 pounds of body weight, 1/2 cup of pellets and unlimited hay. Weigh your bun and the general rule of thumb is 1 cup of greens per two pounds of body weight. I don't know the weight on yours but for pellets I would do 1/4 to 1/2 a cup a day going off the pictures and 3 cups of greens. But that is just me going off pictures, best to get him weighed :)
"An approximate amount to feed would be around 1 cup of greens for 2 lbs of rabbit body weight once a day or divided into multiple feedings a day. "
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Last edited:
As mentioned, think more in terms of leafy greens rather than veggies. There are some leafy greens that should not be given daily. Other greens are fine to give daily. Some have too many oxalates or calcium for every day.

You can see a list of greens for every day and a list for occasional greens here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
The more greens are fed, the fewer pellets are fed. An average size rabbit (5-7 lbs) with generous greens should need no more than 1/4 cup of pellets per day.

Latest posts

Back