ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samara wrote:
SQUEAL! :thud:
lol,

Thanks Sammy, Absolutely on Cloud 9 right now. Can't wait to officially introduce Rubeus to the Z-Tribe in two weeks, but they already know something is different.

The routine of Reubus's "settling in", learning his own space, learning the sounds and smells, learning us first has begun. Washing hands, changing shirts, just doing the best we can. So far, good poo, good pee, eating and drinking, eyes bright, nose dry, paws wet (he keep stepping in his water dish lol, he'll learn. Luna did.) I've done this with all my new tribe members, after experiencing Kreacher's illness. But I also learn about stress and bunnies. Rubeus seems very comfortable. Hoping it continues.

So the "Alert" mode is on. Seen him sneeze twice (loves burying his head in his hay), hiccups (they were cute). Might be crazy or odd, but I learn my bunnies this way.

Jake and Rubeus already met. Rubeus unsure at first, but today, touching noses occurred, so progress.

Looking forward to experiencing this "Gentle" Giant. Big Rabbits are definitely different than the dwarfs I have.

K

ukcarolm wrote:
Hi it's lovely to see you back and Rubeus is gorgeous, such a lovely colour.:D

So good to have him home. Shame that it is so hot here. I wanted to introduce him to our backyard. He'd start in the bunny run, but I know once he hits his full size, he'll have the run of the full backyard as planned. Gives me time to plan and make sure all is safe. Looking forward to watching him grow and learning all about him.

K

ukcarolm wrote:
Can you send some of your heat over here, it's been really bad weather here in Cornwall, you'd never believe it was summer! lol

Wish we could. More than welcome to at least 40 degrees. And the thunder storms have been awful. Very quick moving but powerful. Most of South Jersey is still without electricity.

Strange weather, all over.

K

Are you getting any rain with the storms, to cool things off? Or just the thunder/lightning part? We're wicked hot here, but not even a hint of rain in the next 2 weeks. :(

wendymac wrote:
Are you getting any rain with the storms, to cool things off? Or just the thunder/lightning part? We're wicked hot here, but not even a hint of rain in the next 2 weeks. :(
Getting some rain which cools it off for a couple of hours in the morning. By 10 AM we are getting hot and dry again. And thunderstorms, with rain or not, is wreaking havoc with the electricity. I feel bad for the people down in Vineland. They have been without power of days. And these storms keep rolling through. Glad to have a generator here.

K

My backyard has become my sanctuary. I always appreciated the time I spent out there in the past, but I'm finding it better now that we have acquired the Z-Tribe.

Always the wildlife of the neighborhood found our yard to be a "safe" zone. Have seen many birds, rabbits, squirrels and other wildlife (yes skunks) grow up in that backyard.

Since the Z-Tribe arrived, I've been taking notice of one wild rabbit. Who seems to have found a "safe" haven here. He's getting rather bold and seems to know we are safe, plus he's very curious of our Tribe.

These are pics from when we had Dobby out. This wild rabbit decided to come and investigate. Dobby, too was very curious.

BUNNYS3146.jpg

BUNNYS3147.jpg

BUNNYS3157.jpg

I was not concerned of parasites as my husband made sure every inch of the property, front and back was sprinkled with DE. Great stuff. Actually I think I'm doing this wild rabbit a service. As I watch from my back window in amazement as this wild rabbit boldly sat there in the middle of the yard and cleaned his face and ears just like mine do. The DE dust will get on him and will at least keep him free of bugs. It's just amazing to watch. Wonder what will happen when Rubeus gets out and about. As my Tribe never is outside unsupervised, it should be interesting. The wild one is welcomed to stay. Glad to know he feels safe enough to enjoy a good grooming.

On a sadder note, due to various storms going through our backyard these last months, this robin, who has been coming here every year for a while now, lost an egg and than a baby. My husband tried to save it. Actually got the nest and baby back, and the parents were feeding him/her. Loved hearing that yelling. But next morning, I guess due to internal injuries from the fall, he/she passed. My husband buried him right near the grape vine where the nest was.

BUNNYS2986.jpg

K

Awwww...the wild bun is cute! He's probably wondering how to get into the good stuff (the veggies and wheat grass). Did Doby get brave enough to approach? Or did they just watch each other from a respectable distance?

So sad about the baby robin. Hopefully the storms won't knock any more out.

Neville looks amazing!!! His mane is absolutely beautiful!

I can't imagine how people are surviving without electricity. Do they have somewhere set up for people to go, to cool off? We used to have a big kick-butt generator that ran the entire farmhouse and barn, but it died. We haven't replaced it yet, so I always sit and pray when the lights start flickering.

Try to stay cool, and I hope those storms end for you guys!

Yayayayayayaya!!!!! Welcome back!!! I'm so glad :D

Your new little guy is GORGEOUS! Or handsome ;) can't wait to see how big he gets lol

And wow! All the wildlife in your yard! That is so awesome :) nothing will come into our little yard because of our little yappers ;) LOL

wendymac wrote:
Awhttp://www...the wild bun is cute! He's probably wondering how to get into the good stuff (the veggies and wheat grass). Did Doby get brave enough to approach? Or did they just watch each other from a respectable distance?

So sad about the baby robin. Hopefully the storms won't knock any more out.

Neville looks amazing!!! His mane is absolutely beautiful!

I can't imagine how people are surviving without electricity. Do they have somewhere set up for people to go, to cool off? We used to have a big kick-butt generator that ran the entire farmhouse and barn, but it died. We haven't replaced it yet, so I always sit and pray when the lights start flickering.

Try to stay cool, and I hope those storms end for you guys!
I think the wild rabbit has been satisfied with what's around the fence and in the backyard. He especially spends time in the front yard. Nice big patch of clover, under the dogwood, that we find him completely stretch out in, nibbling away.

Dobby was in the run and did advance to investigate. They really weren't that far away from each other. I was right there so nothing happened but they both know that each other are there.

Hoping that there is some kind of break, but this is only July 1st. We still have to hit those days of August yet. Hoping all your animals stay cool. I'd seriously think of replacing that generator. Definitely worth the investment, IMHO.

K

BunMommaD wrote:
Yayayayayayaya!!!!! Welcome back!!! I'm so glad :D

Your new little guy is GORGEOUS! Or handsome ;) can't wait to see how big he gets lol

And wow! All the wildlife in your yard! That is so awesome :) nothing will come into our little yard because of our little yappers ;) LOL
Thanks. I've seen his future weight (Daddy is 20 pounds) and I just can't wait to see myself. lol He's so sweet now. Hopefully I do well by him and he has that same sweet personality is see peaking through when he's a big guy. Definitely snuggle bunny bound.

Jake has slowed down with age, but nothing was allowed in that backyard in his prime. I like that since the Tribe has arrived, the wild life is allowed to enjoy the backyard while we are all out there and Jake just watches them. Very peaceful now.

K

Ooooh yay! I'm glad you got a flemmish. I want one eventually and he's a cutie. Oooh and so is that wild bunny. So different from our jack rabbits.

MagPie wrote:
Ooooh yay! I'm glad you got a flemmish. I want one eventually and he's a cutie. Oooh and so is that wild bunny. So different from our jack rabbits.
You really should consider it. We thought very hard and made plans and also considered the other Tribe members before we took the leap.

He's just so neat! Those ears just get me.

Agree about the differences with my wild bunny and Jacks. Both are neat though. If it wasn't for different wild rabbits, our bunnies of today would not exist. Always liked the wild rabbit.

K

I know. When I have more room to spare I'll get a big bunny. Now that I am comfortable with rabbits (thanks to Harvey) I feel like I could handle a big bunny. Plus it'll be neat to have one that's bigger than one of my cats and almost as big as the other haha.

We have a jack rabbit that hangs out in my work parking lot every so often. And a coyote apparently. I haven't seen him yet. Anyway the jack is very neat looking. I think that's why I like the full arch breeds, like belgiums and tans. They look like the hares around here.

MiniLopHop wrote:
He is sooooo cute! :inlove:

Glad to hear the whole tribe is doing well.
Thanks for kind words about the new Ztribe member. My husband and I both agree, want this sweetie socialized with, not just Jake and the Tribe, but other people and children. I have a few children in the neighborhood who I know would love to meet Rubeus. Also, got the little guy a harness to start getting used to.

The others are just taking the new member in stride. Can't wait until they are all together in a couple weeks. Always a good idea to keep everything slow and steady. It seems to help with many things bunnies.

Hope Becky is feeling better and has been continuing a positive mend of the head tilt. It took Neville a while, but he's been doing so well.

K

I asked hubby about the generator and why it hasn't been replaced. He said that Penelec took out the switch because apparently it's no longer "up to code". Before you just had to flip the switch at the pole to switch back and forth between Penelec power and generator. People aren't allowed to do that any more...something about workers getting shocked working on lines elsewhere. I think it's just to keep people from being able to easily and quickly switch from their power to our own.

As for August, I'm hoping that it gets cold and rainy! We have the fair from the 4th through the 11th, and those barns get hot! The horse stalls are set up so we can hang fans above their stalls (just like at home) but the bunny barn isn't. I'm almost sorry we entered most of our herd...I'm scared to death it'll be too hot for them. I already told Kitty that if they start really panting and having trouble with the heat they're coming home.

wendymac wrote:
I asked hubby about the generator and why it hasn't been replaced. He said that Penelec took out the switch because apparently it's no longer "up to code". Before you just had to flip the switch at the pole to switch back and forth between Penelec power and generator. People aren't allowed to do that any more...something about workers getting shocked working on lines elsewhere. I think it's just to keep people from being able to easily and quickly switch from their power to our own.

As for August, I'm hoping that it gets cold and rainy! We have the fair from the 4th through the 11th, and those barns get hot! The horse stalls are set up so we can hang fans above their stalls (just like at home) but the bunny barn isn't. I'm almost sorry we entered most of our herd...I'm scared to death it'll be too hot for them. I already told Kitty that if they start really panting and having trouble with the heat they're coming home.
So sorry to hear about the generator. Hoping you find another way to be able to keep the lights on if needed.

Hoping the cooler weather shows for the Fair. Glad to hear about the horses access to fans. But I'd be a bit nervous myself about the bunnies.

Don't beat yourself up. You can't know how hot it will be while making plans for future events. Sounds like you got a plan already in the works if it should be miserably hot.

K

It stinks because entries had to be in at the end of June (technically, not until today, but the earlier the better if you want stalls/cages as it's first come/first served).

And get this! The person in charge of the rabbit barn does all the feeding/watering. It's with what feed he happens to buy that week (I think they said it would be Purina, but I don't feed that anyway), the fair's feeders, water bottles, etc. I don't think the cages get sanitized/disinfected, although they do sit empty for a year. And the rabbits aren't kept together by owners...they're spread all over the place. So instead of worrying about 1 or 2 being against a cage with a strange rabbit, they'll all pretty much be beside strange rabbits. The only bright side is I was "volunteered" to help with the check-in. So any rabbit even looking like it's not well, has ear mites, runny nose, etc. will be turned away.

The horses are kept together ,by owners (so all of our horses are always stalled beside each other). We have to bring our own feed, feeders, buckets, etc. All the fair supplies is the actual stall. The same with the rest of the livestock. I don't know who's bright idea it was to have all the rabbits eating one feed, not being cared for by their owners, etc was, but I'm going to see about getting int changed for next year.

Latest posts

Back