ZRabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading about all your "mature" boys and how they came to be with you! They are just awesome! And WOW! Even still, ever time I see you dobby I have to take a double take! Looks like cookies little brother :) cookie is only a tad bigger I think, well and his ears are a lot bigger lol

Reading your post about dobby, you mentioned grooming? You know I'm fairly new to this whole bunny thing ;) but what do you do to groom your short haired bunnys? All we really do with cookie is trim his nails like once a week or so... And I give him a good pet down with these cool grooming gloves I have every few days to cut down on the shedding... I've never brushed him and he seems to keep his coat really nice... Just curious what you guys do :)

Love love your tribe! They are all so precious :)

BunMommaD wrote:
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading about all your "mature" boys and how they came to be with you! They are just awesome! And WOW! Even still, ever time I see you dobby I have to take a double take! Looks like cookies little brother :) cookie is only a tad bigger I think, well and his ears are a lot bigger lol

Reading your post about dobby, you mentioned grooming? You know I'm fairly new to this whole bunny thing ;) but what do you do to groom your short haired bunnys? All we really do with cookie is trim his nails like once a week or so... And I give him a good pet down with these cool grooming gloves I have every few days to cut down on the shedding... I've never brushed him and he seems to keep his coat really nice... Just curious what you guys do :)

Love love your tribe! They are all so precious :)
Thanks for all your kind words about the "mature" boys in my Tribe. They give me great joy every day. And pride for the accomplishment of learning with them so they could really be themselves and share in their unique personalities.

The reason why I brush is because of Dobby's unfortunately ability to "blow coat".

BUNNYS165.jpg

BUNNYS171.jpg

BUNNYS172.jpg

"Blow Coat" is a molt where patches of hair come out and the skin is still white. When a bunny starts growing hair the pigment of his skin should be darker color. Dobby's wasn't and that could be trouble. But asking on another forum, I found out what "Blow Coat" meant. And lots of hair all at once, means bunny vs hairball. I learn at first with a wire brush, but found my comb really good to take out those chunks of hair. I also use a soft brush just basically because Dobby enjoyed it and it relaxed him. This first blow out coat started when he was 3-1/2 months so we were all still adjusting. And if I could find anything to help with the bonding process with my buns, I used it. lol

Now I still use the comb when he's in full molt (boy can he shed), and the soft brush because it's like a massage to Dobby. Was a really good way to bond with my bunnies.

K:)

Ahhh I see! Thank you so much for explaining :) we have yet to experience the joy of a full molt yet! Lol he had a small one when he first came home but I think that was just stress... I would imagine brushing would be a huge benefit during molting! I will def keep that in mind when ever he decides to shed lol

I use a pet hair removal brush. The ones with the sticky sides that you roll over your clothes to remove fur. I like it because the hair actually sticks to the brush and doesn't fly everywhere

Update on ZRabbits

I've talked about my "Mature" Tribe bunnies, now time to talk about the Tribe babies.

Neville is our first venture into an actual breed. I researched and found that Lion heads were just a unique specialty. I just fell in love with those little hairballs! My version of an Angora which I truly love.

BUNNYS1903.jpg

Neville had a bit of a rough time with an inner ear infection which is known as Wry Neck. But getting him to Dr. Joe and Dr. Joe's aggressive treatment, Neville is Level again and doing so well. Back to his ole trick which we truly love.

BUNNYS1902.jpg

At almost 4 months, Neville unfortunately is still not litter trained when out of his crate. I think it's because the hormones are starting to raise their ugly head. He just needs to mark. And boy can that boy mark. Poop and pee so he's now restricted to the kitchen. Just until he grows up a little bit more. Easier to clean in the kitchen.

BUNNYS1897.jpg

Neville is definitely a taster. I mean, he has to taste everything. Today he bit the stove, the water cooler, my sneakers. I know this boy will not be around wires.

BUNNYS1887.jpg

BUNNYS1906.jpg

His mane is coming in really well. Excuse the pics because I haven't brush him today, but really, grooming lasts about 5 minutes and he's back to shaggy again. Oh well, doesn't take long for him to rearrange his mane to the way he likes it...messy.

BUNNYS1900.jpg

And his favorite friend is Jake. Always want to see him and will climb all over him, which Jake lets him.

Some more pics of my "Heart" Bunny:

BUNNYS1896.jpg

BUNNYS1890.jpg

Can't wait to see him at 6 months! Will be as big as he gets and his baby fur will possibly be gone and will see him as he will be at 1 year old, but with teenage attitude unfortunately. lol

Update on ZRabbits

Luna, what can I say. My first venture into having a Girl. And she is definitely different! Loving every minute.

BUNNYS1922.jpg

BUNNYS1909.jpg

Very demanding of our attention, plus she's in love with Jake. She's just so fascinated with him. And have to say, Jake is great with her.

BUNNYS1913.jpg

Plus Luna is also fascinated with my husband. Follows him around, will stare at him constant from her crate and misses him when he's not there.

BUNNYS1945.jpg

Her mane is really growing in well. And also her skirt. Still love that exclamation point and her little unicorn point. It's the way her wool is coming in. lol

BUNNYS1918.jpg

BUNNYS1940.jpg

I know Luna is more adventurous than the boys. She's the only one that will go off the rug onto a slippery floor to investigate.

BUNNYS1930.jpg

And is way to fast to get shots of binkies. This is the best I could get. lol

BUNNYS1942.jpg

Whatever happens regarding the breeding part, she will still be our little Luna. Can't wait to see how she is as a Mom, but not sweating it!

candykittten wrote:
I use a pet hair removal brush. The ones with the sticky sides that you roll over your clothes to remove fur. I like it because the hair actually sticks to the brush and doesn't fly everywhere

I'll have to try that with Kreacher. His hair is just so fine that I think that sticky side will come in handy.

Thanks for the suggestion!

BunMommaD wrote:
So love seeing your babies :) they are so adorable! All that hair gives them so much expression in their little faces... And omg! Love love that exclamation point on her back! So cute :D
Thanks so much!

Absolutely enjoying the babies. But have to say, the experience of my first doe, definitely awesome and unique! She's truly a hoot! Lives up to that exclamation point on her back. lol

Update on ZRabbits:

Well, the new thing now is "jump off Mom's Lap". Neville started this practice a couple days ago. Now as soon as I take my hand off him, he launches. It's not a high chair that I sit in. It's about 14 or 15 inches off the ground, so I'm not too upset when he does it. But he is a good jumper. Nice stretched out form. Just as you would imagine. So now starts a new game, jump off lap, run around the living room until caught to finish grooming. Well at least we both get some exercise. lol He's not really had hard to catch, actually really simple. He just now figures he can jump and takes the opportunity to.

Kreacher found out accidently that he can jump off my lap. Got to close to the edge because he was trying to get to Jake and fell/jump. After going to check out Jake, he had a ball running and binkying around the living room. And I got a thump every time I got near because he was having so much fun and knew if I caught him, he would go back to his crate. I obliged for awhile. He needed a little run, and with him going under Willard and Dobby's crate, there no issues. The boys took it in stride. Then Kreacher submitted, enjoyed a snuggle and was put back in his crate. We will see if this practice continues tonight.

Funny, both of them went straight to Jake. Kreacher bumped noses and Neville climbed all over Jake. And Jake, enjoyed all of it. BTW, Jake is doing very well now. Almost back to his ole self. Just need to be careful with the new dog food and definitely have to put some weight back on him. Just too skinny.

Dobby is still enjoying the title of "House Bunny". He is such a pleasure to have out and about. He's learning to watch where we step and has the "oh mom's in the kitchen getting something" act down. I think Jake taught him that. Just so funny to turn around and seeing both of them there waiting to see if something is for them.

Luna, well what can I say. She is definitely different. When she's out and about, you really have to watch your step. She just that curious, follows every where you go, and when you are at her level, she's in your lap and in your face. She loves that attention and loves to be touched.

When I give her hay, she's right there picking out stalks before you even get it in her litter box. Actually she wears it and it doesn't seem to bother her one bit. When you go to get her food bowl, she's checking you out and when your return it full of food, she grabbing it with her teeth and helping you place where she wants it.

And I have never seen a rabbit rearrange her whole crate so much. That hay hut is everywhere. It should have been a mobile hay hut. She drags it all around, she stands on it, digs in it and eats it. Sometimes she will even nap in it, after she has it arranged her way.

I know it's time for her to stretch her legs when she starts biting on the bars. I guess that's her way of knocking on the door. And if the biting of the bars doesn't get your full attention, she then goes and perches on her hut house and will stare you down. She knows what she wants. But when I do get her out at those times, she really does use the time out very well. She just goes crazy in her x-pen. Loves the tubes my husband put together. She now and sprint through them without any hesitation. She stands on them too and binkys off them.

I have to say being younger than Neville, she is so much cleaner. Neville in the x-pen in 2 minutes will have poop all over. Luna on the other hand will make the litter box every time. Neville is a male and is definitely marking his territory. What a mess, but it is what it is. Something that I just have to live with because we are keeping him intacted and will be mating him with Luna. Taking the rabbitry really slow. We will see what happens once the first litter arrives. Not going to do anything stupid that will jeopardize any of them.

Alll an all, the ZRabbits Tribe is doing well.

Started our grow box in the basement. Need to have fresh veggies for the Tribe year round. So my husband is studying it and hopefully along with the outside garden we are successful in supplying our Tribe with the fresh, clean veggies they need.

Monday Morning, time to get back to the Real World...work. Had a lovely weekend with the Tribe.

I need to get on growing over here. I want to make up some indoor planters with parsley, clover and grass for the buns.

Luna and the tubes sound hilarious! You should try to nab a video :D

Awwww I love your bunbun's. Omar is jealous that you have snuggle bunnies. All he wants is a snuggle bunny. Apparently our cat Sebastian doesn't count. And Shya is a definite out! He's hoping Kai will hang with him when he get's older. I love the relationships animals can form. Not just with their own species but with outside species as well. Wish we could all take a page out of Jake's book and be a lot more tolerant

kmaben wrote:
Awwww I love your bunbun's. Omar is jealous that you have snuggle bunnies. All he wants is a snuggle bunny. Apparently our cat Sebastian doesn't count. And Shya is a definite out! He's hoping Kai will hang with him when he get's older. I love the relationships animals can form. Not just with their own species but with outside species as well. Wish we could all take a page out of Jake's book and be a lot more tolerant
Love how bunnies can connect to outside species too. Just amazes me.

lol wish the same thing. Life would be so less stressful.

Hoping Omar finds his "Snuggle" bunny in Kai. Now that will be one BIG "Snuggle" bunny.

Update on ZRabbits:

Tribe is doing well. Jake is on the mend and keeping everything down.

Found a new way to groom last night. Since the "lap" is now a launching pad, had to figure out a better way to keep bunnies still. My husband brought up his portable computer table. Works well as a grooming table. Neville and Luna are now learning that they need to be still until grooming is done. They are old enough now and used to the handling and the combs and brushes. They don't fight the process. They just want to run and play. So now it's time to work on their patience. They did very well last night. Was able to get them fully groomed. Will work again with them tonight.

Kreacher will get to have his run in the living room tonight once Dobby has his. Kreacher had a ball when he jumped from my lap and was not a bit destructive. Just loved to run and binky. So we will give him time out and about tonight and see how it goes. When they were younger, they both had the run of the living room, but when hormones showed up, pee marking started and Kreacher was the worse of the two. See such a difference now that Kreacher hit 1 year old. Got to give him a chance. He does well in the kitchen in the morning, but still longs for the living room. Tonight will be his chance.

Update on ZRabbits:

Our little Neville is growing up. Today he turns 4 months old and enters into that teenage phase of life. He's definitely showing those teenage traits. Tried to put a towel in for traction, well, Neville decided it would be best to pee all over it. That has been removed and cardboard put in. He is now at this moment ripping it apart.

I haven't seen anything drop yet so will keep looking for those signs that hormones are fully in bloom! Hasn't been any mounting or any circling but definitely a pee marker.

Should be interesting how he handles the hormones. This teenage period is trying but as long as I stay patient, we can get him through it. Should be interesting!

And just think in another month, Luna will hit that teenage phase. But the way she is, I think she's an early bloomer. She's just so confident and demanding with those stomps.

Holy crow! I thought I was nuts for having four house buns!! lol. I love all yours! I think Dobby is my favorite. :)

We tried going with a Harry Potter theme, too. We named our Mama Bun Ginny at first- but though she's full of attitude and quite hilarious, we went with Mama Bun.

I wanted to try out lionheads, but I was worried about the grooming part. If I ever get a bigger place to live, we'll see!!

LOOOOOVE all the buns, though. So adorable!

ohbunnies wrote:
Holy crow! I thought I was nuts for having four house buns!! lol. I love all yours! I think Dobby is my favorite. :)

We tried going with a Harry Potter theme, too. We named our Mama Bun Ginny at first- but though she's full of attitude and quite hilarious, we went with Mama Bun.

I wanted to try out lionheads, but I was worried about the grooming part. If I ever get a bigger place to live, we'll see!!

LOOOOOVE all the buns, though. So adorable!
Thanks, I can't believe I have a tribe of 5 either. It's amazing, started out with two and just grew. And grew very attached to all of them.

I didn't go lion head at first just for the reason you said. Grooming. And we never had a bunny before so we went short haired. Thankfully Dobby and Kreacher were very good teachers so we planned. And put together a program that would best suit the health and longevity of our Tribe. That's how it started.

Have to admit Dobby does have a special place in both our hearts. He's just such a pleasure to be around. And such a handsome guy.

Love my lion heads. They are a bit high maintenance and a bit high strung but they are truly a pleasure and give us loads of laughter with their antics.

Samara wrote:
How're things?
Been busy. Little spring cleaning, washing, shopping and the hubby set up the garden and the bun run. Looks really good. Have pics will post later.

Plus drama at works. They always bring me into their drama. Can't stand the office politics. Right now don't even know if I have a job because I won't play their stupid game. Whatever happen to just doing your job. Now everything is a personality contest. I hate it.

Bunnies are all doing good.

How's Gubb feeling? Hope he's feeling better.

I hear you on the spring cleaning. Can't wait to see the garden/bun run pictures!

I'm sorry about the drama at work; I left my last job because of drama. I filed a complaint with HR but left feeling very unsatisfied. :( No fun at all. Stuff like that makes it hard to leave work at work and not bring it home at night when you need most to relax before bed.

Glad the buns are doing great! :D

Gubby is back on his feet, thanks for asking. He's still on antibiotics (10 day cycle 2x a day), but he likes the taste so I don't have to pick him at all to administer them. I've been making fun, tasty slurries in my 3-cup chopper for he and the rest lately. Today was oatmeal, water, probiotics, mixed veggies from the freezer sans the corn, and fig!

I wish Critical Care wasn't so darn expensive. Ohh I'll pay it, but I'll grumble when I do. :p

Latest posts

Back