Weird Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up on some pretty unusual stuff. Nothing gross per se, but my parents were huge on health food.. we got health shakes with goat milk and blue green algae with our breakfasts except on weekends when we got pancakes with bacon and good grub. LOL.. those were so gross. I hate goat milk. But most health food I don't mind.

I won't ever eat:
- Partially developed asian eggs, sick!
- Durian fruit: a stinky asian melon type fruit that smells like truly putrid cheese. Haha, no thanks!! They sell these at our local asian market and I always stare at them! Lol.
- 100 year old eggs
- Salmon roe
- Quinoa (grew up on it and it tastes like dirt, lol)
- Vegan fermented tofu (they add bacteria to the tofu and then let it "age" so it like eating rotten tofu.. Mmmm.) I tried it once and threw up.. lol. That stuff is STANKY!
- Spam or any canned meat, never!!!
- Pre-packaged, processed American food.. unless it is chips, candy, ice cream, or pizza and rarely.
- Canned pasta
- Fat free things that should normally contain fat. Like fat-free milk or yogurt, ick.
- Tuna noodle casseroles.. *runs!!*
- Mutton - hear it is nasty from people who have eaten it
- Pork Rinds
- Tongue
- Inuit food like whale blubber soup. Ewww! Lol.
- Shark fin soup aka: gelatinous gooey muck.

I love Taramusalata, greek cod roe pate... that's pretty weird I guess. I love Octopus. I love really firey HOT food! I've eaten every kind of grain and spice you can find. I eat bread and muffins that are made using only finely ground nuts for flour, that's pretty weird. It's yummy :biggrin2:.

Fav weird combo: plain corn bread with PB & J. Hehehe.

gentle giants wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Stan, that dish in the way back of the first pic is scary... is that a fish face I see?
Yes... I thought about you when I was taking the picture, thats why I put the fish in the back of the shot. :D

:shock:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I'm not good on things like..... fish face! :faint:

That reminded me of a video I saw once... I have never thought sushi sounded appetizing, but after I saw this video ( I think it was on Country Fried?) I WILL NEVER touch the stuff. The video was of this group of college age friends eating at an authentic Chinese? Japanese? restaraunt. One girl ordered some sushi dish. When it came, she kept talking for a moment--and then jumped away from the table screaming! She had looked down just before she stuck her fork in the fish--and saw that it was still breathing!! It even flopped a couple of times after that! Noo sir, me no eat anything that is still breathing.

Oh, and my weiredst meal story: I once ate sausage pizza, sweet pickles, ( the little tiny midget ones) and eggnog to drink. That was while I was pregnant though, does it still count? :p

LMAO!!

Weirdest food I've ever eaten?.....

.....Chinese food.

It scares me and looks weird. I also won't eat salads with weird things in it....like seeds and fruits....ewww!

I'm picky and scared of weird looking food.

I can't stand salads with fruits and seeds on top either, ick. Or super sweet dressing.

I tried quail eggs when I was young, they're gross. Canned eggs and me don't mix! Pfft.

Amy, what kind of Chinese food have you had? Reading your post made me want Chinese food for dinner, I love Chinese :D Someday I will go to China and eat real Chinese food! I used to be pretty picky, but when I went to Austria for a year when I was 15, I didn't want to offend anyone so tried anything I was offered. Liver balls, liverwurst, cold fish still with it's bones and skin plus raw onions, lots more... I came home no longer picky at all and my mother rejoiced. I like pretty much everything now, except raw onions, papaya (which always tastes like it's gone bad, I try it at every opportunity and always think that), some meats (I'm still pretty picky about meat) and some cheeses/dairy products.

Earlier I had a bowl of mashed potatoes for lunch, does that count as weird?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Amy, what kind of Chinese food have you had?
I don't know what things are called, haha!

The only Chinese I will eat if Ryan wants it for dinner is some egg rolls or pot sticker thingies. I hate soy sauce, *puke*.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Amy, what kind of Chinese food have you had? Reading your post made me want Chinese food for dinner, I love Chinese :D Someday I will go to China and eat real Chinese food! I used to be pretty picky, but when I went to Austria for a year when I was 15, I didn't want to offend anyone so tried anything I was offered. Liver balls, liverwurst, cold fish still with it's bones and skin plus raw onions, lots more... I came home no longer picky at all and my mother rejoiced. I like pretty much everything now, except raw onions, papaya (which always tastes like it's gone bad, I try it at every opportunity and always think that), some meats (I'm still pretty picky about meat) and some cheeses/dairy products.

I'd definitely bring a translator with you!! A close friend of my bf's lived there for 1 year and said they served some truly weird things like fried worms, bugs, scrubs, etc. And everyone on his crew constantly told their translators, "No weird food! No weird food!" LOL.

Brandy456 wrote:
Creton, with mustard on toast.

I'm pretty sure no one outside of Ottawa (maybe Quebec) knows what it is.

Pork meat pate with onions, salt/pepper, and cinnamon? Wow, that sounds unusual. Is it any good? It's sounds a bit weird :D.

Things I will never try: Poutine, Hasenpfeffer, squirrel, SPAM, or any animal that I would consider a pet. Those are the only foods that come to mind...

Foods that I have eaten and dare not eat again: Cabbage, sour kraut, beef stroganoff, my grandma's nasty casserole, beer, AND... that's all I can think of!

I was all excited yesterday, my dad actually called me up and asked if I wanted a deer neck! Yay! Delicious!

My parents grew up on the "German" side of Milwaukee, so they've eaten some odd things. They still will make cabbage with brats and potatoes, or sour kraut and some ungodly kind of meat. I used to know when dinner was going to suck as a kid... I could smell it all the way at the school bus stop. Bleh! Some of their odd foods include snapping turtle soup, tongue, liver, head cheese, bear (my mom's childhood neighbor was Native American and brought all these weird animals home), moose, carp, and probably a lot more. lol I know for a fact that my aunt has eaten a guinea pig when she was in Peru. She had those as pets when she was younger (she's now a vegetarian). :?

Raspberry82 wrote:
SnowyShiloh wrote:

I'd definitely bring a translator with you!! A close friend of my bf's lived there for 1 year and said they served some truly weird things like fried worms, bugs, scrubs, etc. And everyone on his crew constantly told their translators, "No weird food! No weird food!" LOL.
I think you're thinking of Australia... I was in Austria and never heard of people eating bugs on purpose there! Austria, ya know, the turkey leg shaped German speaking country in Western Europe that borders Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Slovakia.

My favorite Chinese food is crab rangoon lol It's awesome in sweet & sour sauce! Does anyone have a recipe for the good, red-colored kind of sweet & sour sauce? Some places around here have the yellow goo, and that's just never as good. The red stuff at some places has no chunks of anything in it. I think they must strain it :)

Oh! I thought of another gross one that one of my parents has tried: duck blood soup *puking sounds*

Has anyone tried Rocky Mountain oysters? They're actually very tasty when prepared correctly. I've had them breaded and fried.

When I was in Hawaii, I ate a lot of Spam musubi. It's a thin (1/4") slice of spam that's been fried in some sort of sauce (some places use soy, some teriyaki), then put on top of a giant rice ball and wrapped with a strip of nori around the middle. It looks like a giant sushi, but with spam on top instead of fish, and they're eaten warm. It is actually........good. I think it is the *only* way I will eat spam, but I really like those musubi.
Jason and I had one each for breakfast every day we were there (with some juice), we just picked them up in the convenience store in our hotel and walked across the street to the beach to eat them.
I brought back 5 cans of Hot and Spicy Spam, since it isn't usually sold on the mainland, to make my own. I have a feeling I will be reminded of lovely mornings on the beach when I eat them.:)

We had chinese food for dinner. I was feeling under the weather all day yesterday, and a big bowl of hot&sour soup with an egg roll was just what I needed. I used to be afraid of the weird mushrooms in there, but they are yummy. I don't like the sweet and sour sauce, though, I think it is icky.

I didn't chime in during the sushi part, but sushi is THE BEST. Had it last weekend. They had a new thing on the train that was a mushroom cap stuffed with some tuna salad and briefly warmed. They also had a roll with tuna, avocado, and mango, with the eel sauce on top, which they usually only have in the summer so I was SO happy!

Smoked salmon sushi is the best. :) That and yellowtail with scallions and cream cheese ^_^ I tend to make California rolls when I am bored (fake crab and such). Delicious!

Passion Fruit...Parcha! We have it in Puerto Rico! I had several trees in my yard! LOVE IT!

PepnFluff wrote:
BethM wrote:
PepnFluff wrote: Your not wierd for making your own yoghurt , I do! That really thick greek one mmmmmmmmmmmm its so good with w lil bit of passionfruit pulp or brown sugar *drools lol.

I make mine thick, too! I wish passionfruit was more affordable here, I see them for $3 each! I will have to try it with brown sugar. (I also sometimes drain it out and make yogurt cheese. Yum!)

$3.00 each!!!!:shock: thats ridiculous! theyre expensive here but thats just henious! when I said passionfruit pulp I was meaning the stuff that comes in the little jars and its quite sweet....Yoghurt cheese? do you just drain it through muslin? then leave it?

I could have family ship it here if I tried.

Awww food. I love food. I love tryin new foods and the only things I really have a problem with is anything that would be alive. Yet, I'd still try an oyster just because I love seafood so much. Other than that, I don't do so well with anything dairy so I don't have much of a chance with cheese and stuff. The worst thing I have ever tried is blue cheese. That's just ghastly. :?It's Mario's favorite. :?

Anyway, when I went to Greece, I got to try some real food from the sea. :biggrin2:I basically love anything from the sea so it's all good. I loved it. I really miss that about Greece. :)Bo, you might not want to look :p;)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/DaFrenchFry/Greece/n893325433_3873462_1420.jpg

Scary closeup, my first time eating such a big fish... I felt so silly taking so many pics. Lol.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/DaFrenchFry/Greece/n893325433_3873460_796.jpg

More fish...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/DaFrenchFry/Greece/n893325433_3873717_222.jpg

This is really fresh. My mil showed me how to clean them :biggrin2:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/DaFrenchFry/Greece/n893325433_3873722_2023.jpg

And my personal favorite:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/DaFrenchFry/Greece/n893325433_3873732_5683.jpg

So basically, these aren't weird at all. But what was a little strange for me was when my mil fried some fish and basically told me that you simply eat the whole thing, yes, head bones, etc. I couldn't bring myself to eat the head (I might eventually) but the tail was the best part. It was a little weird eating the bones but the fish is small enough so it's not a problem as long as the fish are hot enough :)

gentle giants wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Stan, that dish in the way back of the first pic is scary... is that a fish face I see?
Yes...  I thought about you when I was taking the picture,  thats why I put the fish in the back of the shot.  :D

:shock: 

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I'm not good on things like..... fish face! :faint:

That reminded me of a video I saw once... I have never thought sushi sounded appetizing, but after I saw this video ( I think it was on Country Fried?) I WILL NEVER touch the stuff. The video was of this group of college age friends eating at an authentic Chinese? Japanese? restaraunt. One  girl ordered some sushi dish. When it came, she kept talking for a moment--and then jumped away from the table screaming! She had looked down just before she stuck her fork in the fish--and saw that it was still breathing!! It even flopped a couple of times after that! Noo sir, me no eat anything that is still breathing.

Oh, and my weiredst meal story: I once ate sausage pizza, sweet pickles, ( the little tiny midget ones) and eggnog to drink. That was while I was pregnant though, does it still count? :p
Actually, this is quite a popular thing to happen!
Some sea food places will even cut the side off of a fish to use in a sushi dish and put the fish back into the water to serve another meal. Its fine if all organs are intact .

Raspberry82 wrote:
Brandy456 wrote:
Creton, with mustard on toast.

I'm pretty sure no one outside of Ottawa (maybe Quebec) knows what it is.

Pork meat pate with onions, salt/pepper, and cinnamon? Wow, that sounds unusual. Is it any good? It's sounds a bit weird :D.

Uhm , Yeah, but we get it with no onions..

but yeah it's pork meat.

Its actually VERY good, I love it.

Sounds gross but Its super good.

It's actually thiker then it sounds.. it's a paste .. but thick.

Latest posts

Back