Weird Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do deep-fried pickles count as "weird"?

'Cause I love deep fried pickles. There's only one place I can get them around here, and I get lots of weird looks whenever I mention eating them.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Raspberry82 wrote:
SnowyShiloh wrote:
Amy, what kind of Chinese food have you had? Reading your post made me want Chinese food for dinner, I love Chinese :D Someday I will go to China and eat real Chinese food! I used to be pretty picky, but when I went to Austria for a year when I was 15, I didn't want to offend anyone so tried anything I was offered. Liver balls, liverwurst, cold fish still with it's bones and skin plus raw onions, lots more... I came home no longer picky at all and my mother rejoiced. I like pretty much everything now, except raw onions, papaya (which always tastes like it's gone bad, I try it at every opportunity and always think that), some meats (I'm still pretty picky about meat) and some cheeses/dairy products.

Earlier I had a bowl of mashed potatoes for lunch, does that count as weird?

I'd definitely bring a translator with you!! A close friend of my bf's lived there for 1 year and said they served some truly weird things like fried worms, bugs, scrubs, etc. And everyone on his crew constantly told their translators, "No weird food! No weird food!" LOL.
I think you're thinking of Australia... I was in Austria and never heard of people eating bugs on purpose there! Austria, ya know, the turkey leg shaped German speaking country in Western Europe that borders Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Slovakia.

LOL. Sorry, I guess that was confusing :p. I was referring to CHINA, since amy brought up chinese and people were asking about chinese. They definitely eat worms and truly weird things in northern China.

European food is great, I lived there for a time. Minus pickled herring and liverwurst and tongue among others, gag. My norweigan relatives loved that stuff. My german/russian relatives love their sauerkraut with kilbasa, I love real sauerkraut.. the stuff in the stores suck.

BethM wrote:
Do deep-fried pickles count as "weird"?

'Cause I love deep fried pickles. There's only one place I can get them around here, and I get lots of weird looks whenever I mention eating them.

I didn't even know you could get deep fried pickles, lol. That's crazy. Do they batter them and then deep fry them? I don't know if I'd like hot fried pickles, do they get really mooshy? :p

Raspberry82 wrote: I didn't even know you could get deep fried pickles, lol. That's crazy. Do they batter them and then deep fry them? I don't know if I'd like hot fried pickles, do they get really mooshy? :p

Yeah, the pickles are battered and then they're just fried long enough so the batter gets brown and crispy. They pickles get hot but are still pretty crisp. The place I can get them uses spears, though at one time Sonic had "pickle-o's" and they used slices. I like the spears better, and they're served with a ranch-like dip. Just like a pickle, but better. :D

I think it's a Southern thing, The first time I had them was in Memphis, and now I get them at a Cajun restaurant. Yummy.

MissBinky - you're a crazy woman! ew

The live Sushi returned to the tank.... is disgusting!

Deep Fried Pickles sound good! I love deep fried onions, brocolli and cauliflower!! Dip it in ranch dip! YUMMY!

Yeah, I think you can batter and deep fry just about anything and its good! Lol.

I forgot until reading kherrmann3's post that I have had snapping turtle soup and squirrel too. The turtle soup was good but I don't ever need to eat squirrel again. My dad made me - yuck.

I was also talking about this with my husband and he reminded me of some of the tapas we had inMadrid, Spain. My "friend" ordered a bunchfor us totry and one was bull testicals. Of course, she didn't translate until after we tried them. That's what I get for taking French instead of Spanish in school.:vomit:

Yum.....fried pickles with ranch *drooling* I LOVE them!!

The weirdest thing I've ever eaten is cow tongue :yuck. I was about 7-8 yrs old and my dad brings home a piece of meat in a green tupperware container. He asked me if I wanted to try it. I asked him what it was and all he would tell me was "just try it Scooter!" I finally did.....and it was delicious, until he told me what it was. Even now I won't eat anything from him until he tells me what it is.

I also like cracklins, greens, grits and livermush. Can you tell what part of the USA I come from ;)

Patti - I've had Rocky Mountain Oysters. I thought that they were too chewy, maybe they weren't cooked right.

Ooo.. You mean fresh Sardines that your mil ate whole? Fresh sardines with butter, lemon, garlic are seriously yum. The bones basically desintigrate when cooked.

What are cracklins? <3 southern grits and greens

I hear Rocky Mountain Oysters are really chewy and erm.. strong tasting. A rancher lady aquaintence once saved all the "branding oysters" from the day to try them out for real and let her kids try them via a recipe she dug up. Totally grossed the heck out of me, haha. But they certainly were fresh!! :p

In Wisconsin, people deep-fry almost anything. I've had a few people say that the items are odd, but since I've lived here my whole life, they seem normal. Just because I see them all the time, that doesn't mean I eat them! lol Deep fried cheese curds are the best (common elsewhere), but does anyone have deep-fried Twinkies or Snickers bars? I know they sell them up near the Wisconsin Dells. Bleh.

I can almost imagine the thought behind the Snickers...

"How can we take this calorie-bomb with cream-filling and make it ten times WORSE for you?"

It's a wonder that Wisconsin is only the 26th most-obese state in 2008 :p http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/02/fattest-states-2008/

Deep Fried Oreos are awesome! but it's something we only do at the State fair once a year and we all just take one each. Too pricey and too fattening! I don't think I'd like the candybars but they sell them. They also have deep fried Pepsi.

I haven't had the deep fried cheese curds but we have a resturant that deep fries mozz chunks in beer batter. They are way better than mozz sticks at most places. YUMMY!

Now, I'm hungry.

Raspberry82 wrote:
Ooo.. You mean fresh Sardines that your mil ate whole? Fresh sardines with butter, lemon, garlic are seriously yum. The bones basically desintigrate when cooked.

Nope, they weren't sardines but i don't remember the name cause they were telling me the greek names. Lol :p

Lol @ Bo. I'm not so so crazy ;)

Nope. They make a dough with pepsi syrup and then dip it in batter and deep fry it.

I looked for a picture and found a video...... funny thing - it's from our state fair LOL! I saw the building behind this guy and was like WOW! that's the Pepsi Colosium!

kherrmann3 wrote: [/b]

Bo B Bunny wrote:
They also have deep fried Pepsi.
Please tell me you're joking...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAOBQmFdNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAOBQmFdNk[/ame]

It doesn't want me to post a link for some reason

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Hehe, I was kidding too :biggrin2: Jen IM'd me all worried that she'd offended you and I told her that you were just joking around!
What!? I'm so sorry :shock:, I was being jokey.

Jen, nothing you could say would offend me, you're far too nice and polite :p, I was trying to make you laugh but looks like I offended you instead.

NZminilops wrote:
SnowyShiloh wrote:
Hehe, I was kidding too :biggrin2: Jen IM'd me all worried that she'd offended you and I told her that you were just joking around!
What!? I'm so sorry :shock:, I was being jokey.

Jen, nothing you could say would offend me, you're far too nice and polite :p, I was trying to make you laugh but looks like I offended you instead.
No way did you offend me!! :hug:

Pennie, I cann't believe deep-fried Pepsi!!!! That is just crazy!!

Yeah, I hope I haven't offended anyone...... I am just a picky eater and fish gross me out like that! LOL!

I've heard the deep fried Pepsi is actually good...... but the oreos ..... YUM!

Latest posts

Back