Weird Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm not Indian. I'm just a white girl from Kansas. :D
My husband (who is half chinese) and I tend to get 'ethnic' food when we go out to eat. Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Middle Eastern, Cajun..... There is so much good food around the world. I just think it's funny, since the most ethnic thing people I work with eat is spaghetti. Don't get me wrong, I love spaghetti. I just get weird stares if I've got a samosa or some ettouffe or biryani in my lunch and no one knows what it is. A really good (and affordable) Indian restaurant just opened here, so I guess I just picked Indian 'cause I want to go eat there!

I loooove curry. I love Indian curry, and I love Thai curry. Thai curry is really easy to make at home, too, I just get the curry paste (I prefer red) and then I can use as little or as much as I want to adjust the spiciness. Though I do like super spicy food, so I usually use a lot. :p

I'm really trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat, to just two meals a week or so. Both Indian and Thai cuisines have lots of vegetarian options that taste just as good as stuff with meat in it. Not a fan of goat, though.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Are you Indian Beth?

I've not tried Indian food but I know that Goat is popular. When I went to Lexi's friend's house once they were cooking *something* and it didn't smell too great LOL!

I'm a VERY picky eater....

Ok I know we are past it now but marmite oh.my.god. ewwwwwwwwww! :yuck Revolting!

Aww I don't really eat weird foods.. I am too fussy I don't even like potatoes or vegetables. No curry Pennie!?! :shock: Wow, we eat curry a lot. Not that I can cook, going to die when I go to university, what will I eat? :p

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I also won't eat lamb or goat or duck or.........
I'll have curry once in awhile. But anything hot or spicy, I'll turn down. I am a very mild person. :p

This is what I had last week.

2ijgqd0.jpg

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I also won't eat lamb or goat or duck or.........
I'll have curry once in awhile. But anything hot or spicy, I'll turn down. I am a very mild person. :p

This is what I had last week.

2ijgqd0.jpg

Wow that looks good! What are those dishes Stan?

I'm eating little gem lettuces for the second time this evening! Steve now calls them 'little Jen's' :p:)

Oh, another thing that most people I know think is weird, I make my own yogurt. It's super easy, and less expensive than buying the stuff at the store. Also, no preservatives or additives! (And I have re-useable containers, and I get the milk in the glass bottle, so there's no waste.) I usually make it plain or vanilla (no sugar) and then eat it with a teaspoon of honey and about a quarter cup of Grape Nuts cereal mixed in. My morning isn't complete without it.

Not really a weird food, but people think I'm nuts that I make it myself.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Wow that looks good! What are those dishes Stan?
15qu1xx.jpg

First was the appetizer, with spring rolls, quail eggs, and meats.

vsj3tl.jpg

Here is stuffed crab claws.

95q78h.jpg

Seafood dish with shrimp, and scallops.

fcifwj.jpg

Crab.

The weirdest thing I've eaten was a frog leg. But, it was delicious! lol. Tasted just like everyone tells you it tastes like : CHICKEN! I would definitley eat it again. I've also had baked potatoes with Ranch. That was a new one, but good as well.

Emily

I can't eat fish of any form - bad allergy to it. Shellfish is the worst.

Stan, that dish in the way back of the first pic is scary... is that a fish face I see?

Those recipes call for turmic or something like that? It says it's sort of like ginger? I hate ginger LOL!

Am I sounding like Steve?

I loveeeeeeeee veggie fried rice! THAT I could eat! ;)

The potato and chicken thing do sound kinda good but the chicken looks scary to me Jen.......

I'm a country girl. Steak, taters, steamed veggies.........

Your not wierd for making your own yoghurt , I do! That really thick greek one mmmmmmmmmmmm its so good with w lil bit of passionfruit pulp or brown sugar *drools lol.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Stan, that dish in the way back of the first pic is scary... is that a fish face I see?
Yes... I thought about you when I was taking the picture, thats why I put the fish in the back of the shot. :D

PepnFluff wrote: Your not wierd for making your own yoghurt , I do! That really thick greek one mmmmmmmmmmmm its so good with w lil bit of passionfruit pulp or brown sugar *drools lol.

I make mine thick, too! I wish passionfruit was more affordable here, I see them for $3 each! I will have to try it with brown sugar. (I also sometimes drain it out and make yogurt cheese. Yum!)

BethM wrote:
PepnFluff wrote: Your not wierd for making your own yoghurt , I do! That really thick greek one mmmmmmmmmmmm its so good with w lil bit of passionfruit pulp or brown sugar *drools lol.

I make mine thick, too!  I wish passionfruit was more affordable here, I see them for $3 each!  I will have to try it with brown sugar.  (I also sometimes drain it out and make yogurt cheese.  Yum!)

$3.00 each!!!!:shock: thats ridiculous! theyre expensive here but thats just henious! when I said passionfruit pulp I was meaning the stuff that comes in the little jars and its quite sweet....Yoghurt cheese? do you just drain it through muslin? then leave it?

I have seen recipes that call for passion fruit pulp, but I have never been able to find it in jars at any store here. (I've read that it can be found frozen, too, but I can't find that, either.) I bet I could get it if I lived in a bigger city.

I have a yogurt cheese maker, a container with a lid and a really find mesh sieve that fits in. I've also made it with a strainer, put a coffee filter in, and set that on a bowl to catch the liquid. Fine muslin should work, too. Just put the the yogurt in the filter, and wait a day or two. The stuff left in the filter or sieve is super thick. Mine always ends up just like cream cheese, same texture and a similar flavor, but it's got less calories/fat. It's great for cooking (cheesecake!) and for mixing stuff in to make dips or spreads. And if you use your own homemade yogurt, you know what is in it!
I've read that you can use the liquid whey part that drains out for cooking with, but I never had.

Stan, that pic is absolutely killing me!
Did you make all that yourself?
Can you send me leftovers???

Seriously, that looks fantastic. I recognize some of the names... have an extensive cookbook collection with a heckuv a lot of traditional and contemporary cuisine, but Nate won't eat what I make...
Wanna send me some recipes?

Here's some more good recipes for people just starting with ethnic cuisine, and live in small places like me:
http://recipes.chatelaine.com/recipe2/article.jsp?recipeId=10169
http://recipes.chatelaine.com/recipe2/article.jsp?recipeId=1164 <-- love that one
http://recipes.chatelaine.com/recipe2/article.jsp?recipeId=620 <-- also love!

Try them out... Chatelaine has a very good recipe search engine, and most of the food I've made from the magazine/site has been excellent, affordable, with easy-to find ingredients!

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Yes... I thought about you when I was taking the picture, thats why I put the fish in the back of the shot. :D

:shock:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I'm not good on things like..... fish face! :faint:

Pennie, I don't think turmeric tastes like ginger at all! I think of it as being a fairly mild spice, it's actually used to color a lot of other foods. A lot of cereals like Crispix have turmeric as an ingredient.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Hmm, I might like SOME curry but not much. I like spicy but not like when it makes your teeth sweat.

I won't eat game meat like deer, stuff like that. I also won't eat lamb or goat or duck or.........
You'd probably like a korma. It has a nice bit of spice but its really creamy. I can't stand it, its too bland for me but others love it!

I prefer Chicken tikka masala, with lots of naan and pilau rice!

I still can't get over the fact you won't eat lamb. Its amazing! Never tried goat, but duck.... oh my god... duck pancakes with plum sauce and shredded cucumber...

moz-screenshot-34.jpg
dribble.gif

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Lamb isn't as popular here in the states. It's eaten and available but not nearly as much as beef and pork and chicken.

My roommate's dad eats Marmite. I tried it once when we were living with them and I almost threw up on their cat! It was an insta-gag-reflex! lol

Here are some foods that are considered "odd", well, to some... This is the list that I LIKE!
- Elk
- Bison
- Frog Legs (meh, they're OK)
- Sushi :)
- "Cannibal Sandwiches" = raw ground round beef, salt, lettuce, rye bread
- Smoked fish (a lot of people are freaked out by those...)
- Squid in almost any form
- Barbequed eel
- Kangaroo sausage
- Venison (neck roast or tenderloins are DELICIOUS!)

Others I have tried:
- Head Cheese (look it up if you have to lol)
- Blood & Tongue loaf
- Pickle/Pimento loaf
- Fish roe
- Liver sausage (bleh!)

Those are the only "meats" that I can think of. I don't think of other foods as "odd" in comparison to some of the crazy meats. My parents both grew up in the 50's/60's in Milwaukee (in the German parts), and they have some gross foods there. We were shopping in the grocery store a month or two back, and Will saw ham hocks in the meat section. He almost threw up in the meat bunker! I grew up seeing these things, so seeing a giant cow's tongue in a meat package next to the delicious steaks doesn't phase me. I'm just gross, maybe? :D

EDIT: Two meats that I will not eat are lamb or veal. I pretend that there is no lamb in gyro sandwiches, though, and I eat those RARELY. I can't eat veal because it's tortured baby cow :(

Latest posts

Back