Unexpected company, or......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn wrote:
Hi Jim,

You can give up to an inch a day of the NutriCal, Jim. I've done that with both my little ones, and The Monster,and have never had a problem.

-Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn. I picked some up this weekend, but haven't given any, yet.

~Jim

Carolyn wrote:
As to the lactating, it could be that she's going to have babies or has already had them and was separated from them. Does she look pregnant? Do you feel 'marbles' in her belly?

-Carolyn
Rosie is doing very well and has established a bond with Jessica. She sits on Jessica's lap for hours being petted and loved. She nudges her hand if she stops. Rosie isn't too keen on anybody else as of yet. When she nudges my hand she usually nips me to let me know that she wants Jessica to do the petting.

We haven't given her a "bath", yet, but she has cleaned herself up considerably. In the next couple of days I'd like to give her some"spot" cleaning with some wipes and maybe a bit of peroxide mixture for her feet. At that time I'll see if Rosie will let me palpatate her. Wish me luck. I honestly hope she not expecting. She doesn't look pregnant I far as I can tell.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
...I'll see if Rosie will let me palpatate her. Wish me luck. I honestly hope she not expecting. She doesn't look pregnant I far as I can tell.
We didn't see any testicles on the buck with her, and it did occur he may have been her little one because he was that young looking....but only time will tell for certain. My track record for sexing rabbits is not world renown, you know?

You might want to insure she is the doe we said she was. *chuckle*

Buck

Hi Jim,

I really wonder if she had babies already. Pam had noted at one point that it could take a day before the milk comes in. Then again, if you check out the false pregnancy post, I've read that does can lactate then even.

If she's more comfortable with Jessica, perhaps as Jessica is massaging her, she can feel for kits inside. Rosie seems to trust her the most, and after all she's been through, I'd first let Jessica give it a try.

Many people that know what they're doing say that palpating a doe isn't easy. Some rabbits are harder to read than others.

Let us know how it goes on the spot cleaning and if the Dawn helps clean her up. Glad Tina jumped in here because she makes Apollo glow and he's obviously very healthy and happy.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Buck Jones wrote:
Received a call yesterday from a waitress who works at a local cafe we frequent. Seems there were a couple of bunnies seen loitering around and as we are known to some around here as the "bunny people, "would we be interested in rounding them up?

The Missus was very busy and I'm nursing a bruised rib so it was afternoon by the time we arrived and the cafe closes after lunch, so we were on our own. Cute broken black/white up-eared doe ran us ragged criss-crossing a fairly heavily trafficked street, hiding under derelict cars in a nearby gas station and squirming beneath the flat-tired old Chevy they called home in the vacant lot next to the cafe.

About an hour into that chase we realized a "Tucker clone" had been sitting under the Chevy all that while, unbeknownst to us. This little buck with his dark coat, just melded into the shadows beneath the car... clever little fellow he thought he was!

Once we realized he was there, we focused on him and he gave it up easily. Looks just like Tucker, other than a white point on his nose and two little dainty white sox on his forepaws.? Badda Bing! In the traveling cage he goes.

The doe led us for quite a merry chase afterward for at least another 45 minutes. We knew she was tired, because she would flop on her side whenever under a vehicle of a sufficient distance from us to evade capture. My rib problem made it difficult to crawl under any vehicle.

Eventually, I found a length of PVC pipe to use as a "chaser" underneath their "home" car, and the Missus nailed her with the net. Local gas station owner said his girlfriend might like one, so within an hour the little buck was re-homed.

At first, the woman indicated she would take both of the buns, but reneged via cell phone before I could return in time with a sufficiently large enough cage for two. She opted out of the doe.

Today, we've got to find a shelter that will take her. She's a cutie and already litter box trained. She needs a good cleaning after living beneath greasy old cars. And was she ever hungry.

There were apparently three buns dumped off and one succumbed totraffic. Fortunately, we got the remaining two before the SUV's did.

Ya never can tell where the day's gonna go!

Buck

"Ya never can tell where the day's gonna go!"

I love that quote -- it's so "Buck". :pinkpansy:

Pam

Oh wow ... thank you for bumping this thread! I never saw it before, and what a wonderful story it is of a great bunny rescue and the beautiful humans who cared.

And even though I never got to know Buck, you guys are doing such an honorable service by keeping his memory alive, and allowing those of us who haven't been here that long to 'meet' him, in a sense...

Di

Unfortunately, the woman who adopted Riley, Rosie's friend, has been having a hard time with the little one. Apparently he/she who used to be a real cuddle bug has gone from Jeckyl to Hyde and is snorting, growling, and biting her and her kids. Sounds to me like the little one's ready to be fixed or maybe they're just moving too fast around her or not handling her properly. I'm working with her in emails as to trying to break it down when could be wrong. Poor Woman is at her wits end because she adores Riley as do her children, but they obviously can't have that going on. I just hope and pray that getting the little one fixed will help calm him/her down and she will return back to her normal self.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Unfortunately, the woman who adopted Riley, Rosie's friend, has been having a hard time with the little one. Apparently he/she who used to be a real cuddle bug has gone from Jeckyl to Hyde and is snorting, growling, and biting her and her kids.Sounds to me like the little one's ready to be fixed or maybe they're just moving too fast around her or not handling her properly.I'm working with her in emails as to trying to break it down when could be wrong. Poor woman is at her wits end because she adores Riley as do her children, but they obviously can't have that going on. I just hope and pray that getting the little one fixed will help calm him/her down and she will return back to her normal self.

:pray:

-Carolyn
How upsetting this must be for her.

I've been through this with a few of my bunnies....still going through it with Binkie (she bit me again this morning when I went to give her pellets :X)

Is there anything I can do to help out?

The owner is going to get her spayed. She loves her too much to part with her.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back