Unexpected company, or......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
Received a call yesterday from a waitress who works at a local cafe we frequent. Seems there were a couple of bunnies seen loitering around and as we are known to some around here as the "bunny people," would we be interesting in rounding them up?

The Missus was very busy and I'm nursing a bruised rib so it was afternoon by the time we arrived and the cafe closes after lunch, so we were on our own. Cute broken black/white up-eared doe ran us ragged criss crossing a fairly heavily trafficked street, hiding under derelict cars in a nearby gas station and squirming beneath the flat tired old Chevy they called home in the vacant lot next to the cafe.

About an hour into that chase we realized a "Tucker clone" had been sitting under the Chevy all that while, unbeknownst to us.This little buck with his dark coat, just melded into the shadows beneath the car...clever little fellow he thought he was!

Once we realized he was there, we focused on him and he gave it up easily. Looks just like Tucker, other than a white point on his nose and two little dainty white sox on his forepaws.Badda Bing! In the traveling cage he goes.

The doe led us for quite a merry chase afterward for at least another 45 minutes. We knew she was tired, because she would flop on her side whenever under a vehicle of a sufficient distance from us to evade capture. My rib problem made it difficult to crawl under any vehicle.

Eventually, I found a length of PVC pipe to use as a "chaser" underneath their "home" car, and the Missus nailed her with the net. Local gas station owner said his girlfriend might like one, so within an hour the little buck was re-homed.

At first, the woman indicated she would take both of the buns, but reneged via cell phone before I could return in time with a sufficiently large enough cage for two. She opted out of the doe.

Today, we've got to find a shelter that will take her. She's a cutie and already litter box trained. She needs a good cleaning after living beneath greasy old cars. And was she ever hungry.

There were apparently three buns dumped off and one succumbed to traffic. Fortunately, we got the remaining two before the SUV's did.

Ya never can tell where the day's gonna go!

Buck

Awww, that was so sweet of you Buck. Glad to here that you finally got the two buns saftely. Someone just dropped off three house buns? Thats terrible. I'm happy to hear that they'll get a good home this time.

-Ashley

:Dcaptain buck and his mrs to the rescue. well done buck, that sounds ace. A lot of hard work but ace :)

How is the doe now is she any more settled?

Wow, its amazing, I can't imagine running after a rabbit outside and actually catching it, especially with a bruised rib. You are great.

I wonder why people can't just take buns to the shelter themselves instead of making people running after the bunnies.

Buck, you and the Mrs. are amazing. Bless you both and I mean that. Chasing down a rabbit with a bruised rib, extraordinary. I am so glad all ended well. Please take care of yourself. A briused rib is nothing to take lightly. You and the Mrs.truly are rabbt guardian Angels. God Bless You Both. I will keep you in my prayers, please take care and get to feeling better soon.

Tina

Buck...you and the Missus are totally amazing!!! I wish I had been there.

So you've got a cute bunnie that needs a home?!?!

Ya know.... I'm only about an hour away from you.....

Hmmmmmm....!?!?! ***thinks of a way he might fit 7 bunnies in the back room***

Lemme think on this.

:~) Jim

Wow, that's quite a story! I'm so glad you and your wife did this though. Really burns me up to think of someone dumping rabbits off like that.

OH MY!
You two are such heroes! I truly would have liked to participate in that search and rescue mission! If not for the joy of helping the buns, for the lasting memory of the chase! :shock:

I'd have probably been worthless for falling down in tears of frustration and then following it up with fits of laughter!

You two are the best!

RaspberrySwirl

JimD wrote:
Buck...you and the Missus are totally amazing!!! I wish I had been there.

So you've got a cute bunnie that needs a home?!?!

Ya know.... I'm only about an hour away from you.....

Hmmmmmm....!?!?! ***thinks of a way he might fit 7 bunnies in the back room***

Lemme think on this.

Local rescue shelter we've dealt with for years (new director) refused her! This is after we adopted four of their rabbits over the years. I am so angryat it. Young people sometimes don't know how to encourage good business relations and keep their old customers.

Jim, were headed north tomorrow morning to Tucker Town as Ernestine is going to be visiting with her "cousins" on Tucker Lane and Cali Avenue. It would not be difficult for us to drop her off on the way if someone were to be available at home to receive her.

Things have worked out so serendipitously for the "Tucker Clone," that it would be nice for this baby to go to a home with other buns as she obviously could have easily brow beat her smaller companion, but was living harmoniously side by side with it under the car. Should you take her, I would consider it just as serendipitous that she is going to a home that we all know is first rate!

She's a dirty girl right now and I don't know how much time we will have between now and tomorrow to clean her up. We don't even know what we are to do with her tomorrow and might have to take her to Tucker Town because we don't have accommodations here.Secretary at the Missus' doctor's office said today that she might be interested, but don't call her, she'll call us....blah, blah, blah.

It has been my experience with bunnies and motorcycles (I used to collect them) that people who leave you with that caveat are not likely to follow through. They are people "who like the idea" of owning one, butlack the gumption to "walk the walk," when push comes to shove for whatever reasons. No barbs being thrown at you here,because I know you are the real Magilla and are not talking out of your hat.

I used to knock myself out trying to find people good motorcycling buys, only to be told, "Ahem, perhaps, not right now" or"Maybe for Christmas," etc. I got to the point where if someone said, "Find me a motorcycle!" I'd say, "You find the motorcycle you like and I'll check it out to insure it is in proper shape and a reasonable price."

In all my 35 years of motorcycling I only had one woman who took me upon that offer. When the seller saw me walk up with my checklist and start checking items from front to rear, he began to tell me what was wrong with it before I could find them. LOL. Saved that woman a bundle of money that day 'cause she was going to try to surprise her husband with it.

Anyway, my point is I am not holding my breath waiting for the secretary to call us, and would be delightfully happy to drop her off at your place, or do a "bunny deal" on the GSP, if you're so inclined. She is Woody Pet litter box trained already. *chuckle*

Buck

I was hoping you'd post this story, Buck. :)

I understand that the bun-without-a-home that Buck has has some grease on her back and it may be difficult for her to get too clean. FYI:Dawn dish detergent should get a good portion of the grease out of her fur.

If the little one does come to Tucker Town, we'll wash her down with it.

-Carolyn

Buck, you are absolutely amazing! And I really don't think there is anything I could say that everyone else hasn't already said. I saw on "Animal Cops" on Animal Planet one day, there was this guy who had like, 6 white rabbits, moved out of his house and abandoned them...now they were running a muck in his neighbors yard...and the animal cops came and caught each and everyone of them!! It took them a few hours, but they didn't give up until they got all of them! I just love people who go through somuch to save even a tiniest ofcreatures!!

Bless your heart!

-Vanessa

Buckand Carolyn...I'm leaving for home right now.

I'm going to talk this over with the family this evening.

Tommorow might be tough, with me and the wife working, and the kids at school.

I'll log on a little later with an update.

JimD,

We could even do an exchange tonight...terrible night, but would solve our dilemma because we won't be back until Monday morning for an appointment the Missus must keep. Point is we're passing through southbound about the same as we're heading northbound tomorrow.

Just happen to know that there is a McDonald's just as one leaves the ramp at GSP 136 Southbound because we recently met two out of state friends there. That would be a 45 mile drive for us and about a 30 mile one for you, I would surmize.

If that works, give me a call as soon as you can. I'll PM my phone numbers to you.

Buck

Oh, please keep us updated!

I sincerely hope that JimD and his family can take the little doe.

Bless you, Buck, and bless the Missus for rescuing these two precious buns.

Good work Buck and the Mrs!

I do hope you find her a wonderful home! After all this she deserves a nice quiet, loving, home! If I lived closer she would be more than welcome to come here... Although I don't think the monkeys would leave her alone...

:)

Y'know, I am soooo glad that I come to this forum - the people here are the most awesome, kindest, most wonderful people. Here we have Buck and his good lady, running themselves ragged trying to save the lives of two little fur bundles (not for the first time). Then we have Jim, who, despite already re-homing 6 bunnies, is thinking of taking on another unfortunate soul. Even if you can't, Jim, the thought was there and that in itself is amazing.

You guys ROCK, and make me feel so pleased that I 'know' you :D:D:D - Jan

Latest posts

Back