TRANSPORT- Chicago Ridge Rabbits (IL) RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The person I need to talk to about bunnyswapping is returning from vacation today, so will ask when she's had a chance to settle in.

And bringin back binkies, even one cage of fostering will be a big help!

BlueFrog wrote:

I believe Kato and Fudgie are on hold to go to a home together, but my information on that point was a little soft. Will know more in a few days.
Please keep us posted on this situation. If they do not go, you know that each will find a home with Leaf's friend (for Kato) and with me (dibs on Fudgie :p)

myheart

The blind girl has a home with me.

The rex girl has a definant home witha friend. If Kato has a home lined up she says that ok - maybe an additional REW? (if none available I could talk her into a lionhead mix baby, she's set of a dutch because she's in love with Ibimi and I refuse to rehome my girl, even to a dear friend but she loves all rabbits).

The black lop - coworkers friend is looking for a second lop, must be good with other rabbits and very people friendly. She's only gone through a breeder, had an excellent experience and her only adoption experience was a total disaster at her local humane society, so while she's trying to keep an open mind she's a bit gun shy. If he wouldn't work with her he'd come back to me unless she rejects him upon his arrival. So, I can't say he has an immediate placement but he'd be welcome here until something works out. How would you compare him to the orange one with her wants? Her girl is orange/white with a bit of black so she's wanting a different look (hence the black choice).

Lionhead mixes won't be a problem placing but I have no immediate set YES adopters (as the girls have above). I have no problem taking them in.

Of these, since I only have one marked for me (blind girl) - will working to find permanant homes be an issue? Any legalities against adopting/rehoming? As of now thats the most pressing issue on my mind.

I am going today to pick up 40lbs of pellets and I've placed an order for 2 boxes of 37# THay from frmrdave....

Leaf, there will be no legal or other restrictions on finding those rabbits permanent placements. AWL is fully aware that these rabbits are going to a rescue and has no problem with it. They are very supportive of getting animals into breed or species specific rescue organizations in general, and especially so for the rabbits.

Catnap has some smallish REW males that are, or could be, neutered. Perhaps that would work for your friend's second REW rabbit? They've been having trouble placing them. Because they'd be going to another rescue, I'm sure they'd waive the adoption fee.

As for the lops, the orange rabbit was sulking in the corner of his cage so I can't say much about his personality. May just be "What am I doing in a small cage in a strange place next to another unneutered buck?" The smaller black lop was clearly looking for attention from both people and other buns. So, of the two, I'd give the black one the greater odds of being what your friend is looking for. I can't say the orange one wouldn't do the same given the right environment, but all I can go by is what I see at the shelter.
Lionhead mixes - how many do you want? :biggrin2:

Also... a "large black and white rabbit" was found wandering in the middle of North Avenue in Melrose Park (for those not in the Chicagoland area, let's just say it's a miracle a rabbit would survive half a second on that street) and taken to a local vet by the police. They are borderline desperate to find him/her somewhere to go, and as usual, everyone but Chicago Ridge is full.

I wonder what they consider large...

I have two bonded pairs, a trio and a single Flemish Giant. Add in the blind girl who will probably be a "single" and my Flemish is the only "unbonded" nerd. And yes, Aiden IS a nerd, despite my love for him!

I'm a few hours past my bedtime and have work here at the house before I go back in to work at 8:30pm -

How soon are we looking at a possible transport taking place?I'm still putting feelers out so I can't say for sure how many of the lionhead babies, but if there's a will, there is a way!

I adopted Latte (a head tilt bunny) and Hazel from AWL.

I think I could foster 1 bunny for a short-term fostering. I don't think my husband will be too keen with it, but oh well.

My only question, will the bunnies be looked at first before the fostering? Latte and Hazel both had slight upper res. infections when I adopted them. I would like to know if the foster would, so I could quarantine it if necessary away from Latte. Latte's head tilt makes me nervous when he's around new rabbits.

Let me know if fostering one is possible.

Also, with fostering, if medical treatment is needed, will the shelter pay for it?
Food is no problem.

OK, Im trying to see about a transport for next weekend. Ive worked out a tentative route. Are we thinking maybe 5 bunnies or so? Id have to check with individual drivers once they were in place to see if there was room for any more than what would fit in a normal sized car..

Tentative route with some people who might be able to help in those areas (just waiting to hear back from them to see if these places/distances are ok:

[align=left]Chicago, IL to Union, MO. [/align]
[align=left]1. Chicago, IL to Gilman, IL (1 hr 37 mins): Filled by bellapsyd[/align]
[align=left]2. Gilman, IL to Charleston, IL ( 1 hr 44 mins): NEEDED

3. Charleston, IL to Vandalia, IL (1 hr 19 mins): Filled by Gentle Giants (can switch and do 2. instead if needed).

4. Vandalia, IL to St. Louis, MO (1 hr 15 mins): Angoragirl[/align]
[align=left]5. St. Louis, MO to Union, MO (1 hr): Lagadvocate[/align]

[align=left]Im a little worried about that third leg since its sort of in the middle of nowhere. I can potentially run the transport from Gilman to Champaign to Springfield to St. Louis if I cant get that third leg filled. Or from Gillman to Peoria to Springfield and then down.It would make the transport longer but I might have more luck finding drivers in the more populated areas of Peoria (AngelnSnuffy?) and Springfield..[/align]

Potential fosters: Unfortunately, once the rabbits leave the shelter property, they are technically mine. I could pay for minor veterinary issues, but that's the extent of it. I'm sure the Chicago Ridge vets give them at least a cursory exam before they speuter.

However, depending on the date the "train" leaves, I may be able to just leave them at the shelter until it's time to get them started on their journey. Stay tuned!

bellapsyd, thankyouthankyouthankyou. I'll have to pull out a map, but you may be close to where the rabbits are now (not far from the exit at I-294 & 95th St). If not, I'm sure I can get them to you.

Animal Welfare League web site

Haley et al., if we could do this next weekend, the timing would probably be just about dead-on perfect. Just let me know. Yes on the five rabbit quantity - more if we think we can manage it AND if the vets can get them done in time. (Unless Leaf can handle having the additional speuters done on her end). FWIW, my ordinary sized car can transport eight with reasonable comfort,as many as ten when I get creative.

gentle giants. I just heard back from the director of Catnap and I believe the proposed exchange is a "go", with her personally making the drive. I'll let you know more when I confirm this news. We're both punch drunk from exhaustion so clarity of communication isn't what it normally would be.

BlueFrog wrote:
Yes on the five rabbit quantity - more if we think we can manage it AND if the vets can get them done in time. (Unless Leaf can handle having the additional speuters done on her end). FWIW, my ordinary sized car can transport eight with reasonable comfort,as many as ten when I get creative.

If this is going to be a mass rescue operation I don't want any to be left behind on an altering technicality. I've been keeping an eye on the influx at Chicago Ridge for a while now and can't believe how bad it really is, but I know it to be true. The more that are altered the better (for me) beforehand but if spending money on this end stops a death on that end... so be it. I've got a 4 door Grand AM car, so a regular sized one I supposeand I'm sure we can squeeze as much as necessary.

I'm going to work on responding to some emails this morning once I get the dogs squared away but I should be around (online) pretty regularly today and this weekend.

posted the driver alert on chicago HRS, their bunderground, and bunspace. The admin at bunspace is gonig to make it a front page alert. I will post the link when it is done. If all else fails, I can driver further to charleston.

I also PMed all our IL members in that general area and posted this on Bunderground. Hopefully we can find someone to help!

Does next Sat or Sun work better for everyone?

At first thought - Saturday works better for me because I work Sunday evenings (overnight).

However - whatever works. I'll put a vacation day on hold for Sunday in case anything comes up and Sunday would work out better.

I see the plea as a link on the front of bunspace now.

Um... and it looks like we have the needed volunteer:

From Bunspace:
I am in Central Illinois....about an hour and half from Gilman, IL. I can take the babies from Gilman, to Charleston. Kelly ***, [email protected]

:faint:

My name is Kelly Franzen, I live in Central Illinois and saw your plea on Bunspace.com. I can take the Gilman, IL to Charleston, IL leg of the transfer. Please get in touch with me at [email protected].

Kpink- you are a LIFESAVER. I think Hayley will be e-mailing you soon today with details to make sure it is all in place so we can tell Bunspace admin to remove the alert.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I will be the one handing the buns off to you in Gilman

Latest posts

Back