TRANSPORT- Chicago Ridge Rabbits (IL) RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pla725 wrote:
I wish I could help. However we are overwhelmed here in NJ. It makes me sad that so many will be lost.

I have seen so many rabbits in NJ on the Petfinder, but find that they do not want to adopt out to some one living in Wisconsin. I feel bad that they would not want to trust a transport system of sorts for an adoptable bun. (The Flemmies are all on the East or West Coasts :()

BlueFrog, I took a look at the link... What some beautiful bunnies. Wow!!!! about that Black Otter, Chocolate, Red, and Cali. I'll take one of each color please!!!!!

Please keep me posted on what happens with the little red girl and if you need a foster-mom for her :D. You did a great job with picking Katie out for me that I will always trust your opinion.

myheart

myheart, if that's a firm offer of someplace for her to go, I'll call the shelter in the morning. Otherwise, to the best of my current knowledge, she won't be around this time tomorrow.

So glad you and Katie are getting along so well together. She is a sweetheart, and lucky to have found a foster mom like you to take care of her.

Will you contact TreasuredFriends to make sure red rex can be placed in the foster system and on availability of transportation. I go down to Sheboygan next week Friday for dental checks and wellness examsfor the fur-kids. Much of the same arrangement could take place for meeting place although time might be later as we will have to go through appointment first before heading out. TreasuredFriends might even be able to take Katie for a date appointment to Waukesha. I would hate to miss it, but I value her opinion also.

myheart

Very few people want the big rabbits. They all want the smaller rabbits like the dwarf. We tell them the bigger rabbits have the best temperments. I'm sure bunderground could step in for transport if the right placement came around. If another rescue would be willing to step up to do the home check perhaps that would help.

I won't sit and wait. If you can foster do it. Or you will regret that you didn't save a life. Sorry if I'm on my soap box for the moment. I'm overwhelmed myself with three additional rabbits that I'm struggling to care for. I'm sacrifing stuff for myself to make sure they have what they need. Anyway off the soapbox for now.

Hope things work out.

Edited to say I'm glad you were able to help out. Another life or two saved.

I honestly don't think the info about these guys has gotten out as best it could. I really think at least a few can be saved.

I think everybody's overwhelmed, I haven't seen this cross-posted much at all, I don't even know if we've contactedour members in the area.

I'm positive with a little effort this girl -- and more -- will be placed.

sas :tears2:

What's the contact info here?

I'm making a thread for the 'ANNOUNCEMENTS' section, and realized I don't even know the name of the shelter or the contact info. Is it called Chicago Ridge?

Who should be contacted?

sas :?

Oh Myheart are you taking her?:bow

Let me know if you need help setting up an NIC pen or whatever. Or need more grids.

I could help with transport on a weekend. I know TreasuredFriend doesn't like leaving herdisabled bun alone for long.

I've previously read and posted to this thread and feel HORRIBLE that no one is stepping up to save these buns (what is it with the BIG citiies that buns/dogs/cats have a worse time getting adopted!)..

I've emailed Bluefrog suggestion that perhaps as they are losing buns to euthanaise (sp?) I'd pay to have them shipped to Los Angeles.

I'll ship buns anywhere if their only option is being put down.. Honestly, I'll do this if your in Ohio, TX, Fl and think you can take one but can't pay the airfare or understand how to do this - I'll figure it out and pay it - just let me know.

Think Baxter! gave me my calling in life - just can'ttake inall the buns in the USA, but can get them to loving homes.

BlueFrog - let me know if there are 2 that can make the airline trip and I'll take them in.

Shipping isn't cheap - but as a former breeder - I've had rabbits shipped in and I know a bit about how to make the reservations, etc. - so let me know if you need help in coordination.

I honestly wish I could take some girls - not to breed - but because everyone wants boys. But I don't have the money to ship them and I think we're under an embargo due to the heat for a bit. (Continental does fly into Del Rio but we need to give like a week or so notice so they can plan for the shipment).

Anyway - let me know if you need help w/ coordinating shipments - plan on $120 - $150 for one rabbit - and around $200 if folks take two or more rabbits.

Ive contacted everyone I can think of and no response :(Everyone here in Michigan is filled to the brim and they have been taking Chicago overflow the last few months but with summer dumps its just not possible.

I'll keep trying...Its hard not to get discouraged. I know the horrible economy in our area is only making things worse for the animals.

Is there any way to get some pics of these bunnies? Ive found that a picture of an e-list bun really tugs at people's heartstrings..anyone with a camera phone or anything? I dont understand how shelters expect to adopt out animals without pictures.

Dang. If I was closer I'd take in one or two to foster. I'm so sorry you're having this problem. I wish you luck in placing them.

This is so distressing! I don't live anywhere close by but I would love nothing more than to take on a large bunny. I'm new to being a rabbit owner but I love these little guys. I'd especially like to have one large bunny...

I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm so incredibly sad right now I can't even put it into words.

Haley wrote:
Ive contacted everyone I can think of and no response :(Everyone here in Michigan is filled to the brim and they have been taking Chicago overflow the last few months but with summer dumps its just not possible.

I'll keep trying...Its hard not to get discouraged. I know the horrible economy in our area is only making things worse for the animals.

Is there any way to get some pics of these bunnies? Ive found that a picture of an e-list bun really tugs at people's heartstrings..anyone with a camera phone or anything? I dont understand how shelters expect to adopt out animals without pictures.
Same here. Buckeye HRS and Columbus HRS are jammedwith Easter dumps and a new hoarder situation.

BlueFrog, please let me know what sort of arrangements to make for a pick-up of little red rex. It will be okay if I have to drive further than my last pick-up with Katie. This weekend might not be the best unless it is very early Saturday, not sure about Sunday, and during the week I could probably head out after 12:30-1:00pm. Let me know your thoughts or if TreasuredFriends will participate in a meeting place again.

I guess I will be busy cleaning and building...:)

myheart

I think a rescue in Northern Indiana has stepped in. :weee: Not sure who's she's making the arrangements through, but she's been aware of it for a few days,within driving distanceand she has a lot of space. :)

But it would be nice ifor somebody else to keep in the area to keep in touch with the shelterand give BlueFrog a much needed break. Because they don't allow pics and don't post on Petfinder, they have fewer options than most.

sas :bunnydance:

I can't thank you guys enough for the support and willingness to jump in. You are amazing.

Unfortunately, one of the higher ups decided to euthanize early, without telling my conatact, and the shelter had returned to "capacity" as of first thing this morning.

The red rex was adopted out yesterday (huzzah!) and, to my shock, the little black bunny made it through the purge, as did the REW mini rex doe. As I expected, so did the lionhead mix babies, who I'm told are now old enough to speuter.

One of the rabbits I had on hold for someone was adopted out, but otherwise they are all present and accounted for. They are being speutered over the course of the next week, and I'm told I must have them all out by Wednesday (which should not pose a problem). Already a new rabbit had arrived this morning, and I told them to pull him for neutering. Big white rabbit with tan spots. Pretty to look at, and the sad expression on his face mirrored my own. I don't know where he's going to go, but I couldn't bear to lose another one and I was told that, as the oldest, he was now at the top of the kill list.

If any of the remaining rabbits interest anyone, please do let me know. I'm there every Wednesday, and will be happy to pull them to go wherever there's room. If shipping is involved, someone's going to have to walk me through the process, but fortunately I live right by O'Hare Airport (ORD). With another fifteen rabbits scheduled to arrive later this week, plus whatever else walks through the door, we'll be right back at this point by next Wednesday. I have asked - again - to be contacted before any more euthanizations are performed, but although I know my contact will inform me, that depends on whether that person is kept informed by the superiors.

I will try to get back to everyone individually over the next few days, but right at this moment I plan to bury my sadness by hand-feeding my noisy squabs and giving Cassidy and Copperfield extra petting.

Thanks for keeping us posted on the situation. I can't believe that management cares so little as to not keep all options/resues aware of euth's. Just no time to adjust schedules and rescue plans.

I am so happy to hear that little red rex was adopted!!!!:biggrin2:please keep me in mind if you need me to foster. I could probably handle one more, and Katie might have a date coming up soon. :p

Thanks for all you do, BlueFrog, and everyone else who has chimed in to help. The most wonderful group of people, and bunnies, on RO. I hope all forums are this lucky.

myheart

Back