The Happy Bunny Family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want Mike.

Does front paws tell how much theyll grow too or just the back? Is it bad i am biased too...love pidge but murphy and sebi are sooo much cuter with their pudgeyness and flappy ears.
you could email her and ask her?

Ali, Mike is a cutie pie. He's all black but has little white guard hairs all over his body! They don't show up in the pictures. Very cute.

Brenda, I don't know if paw size as a baby is indicative of the adult size like it is with doggies. Good idea to e-mail the rescue lady with info about sexing bunnies! I will word it very politely and if she's offended, it's her problem. I'm just trying to look out for the babies AND her since she'd have a ton more bunnies on her hands.

That is how Connor is which is why I want him.

I don't remember ever having seen a black bun with white guard hairs. He is the only black baby in the entire litter. Very handsome. The others are cutie pies, too. Wish I'd brought my camera to Petco! They were all huddled together in the cage and I was able to pet all 4 babies at once- that's a first!

Kind of interesting is that on Petfinder, the rescue has the babies' ages listed as 4 months. According to the paper work, Podgie is 12 weeks (3 months). I doubt the rescue somehow was privy to more information about the babies though. 4 months is definitely old enough to get pregnant so I hope they are 3 months! Will know if suddenly they have 12 bunnies at the rescue a month from now. And I did not personally sex any of the babies other than Podge so I don't know if they had the sexes right to start with (though they did get Podge's correct). Will definitely e-mail the rescue lady info about sexing bunnies.

Okay, I sent an e-mail with info and links about how to sex bunnies. Hopefully it is helpful! I also looked on their website and holy cow, they took in over 800 animals last year and adopted out 500. Can you imagine? That is SO MANY! And they don't have any permanent workers or anything, it's volunteer run.

So they have 300 still?? Lol and that is really good to adopt so well, a lot of rescues arnt this lucky

I know some of the animals have been there for a LONG time. Probably since before 2011. The rescue has a ton of animals. It's cramped. Wonder where they put the buns.

hm dk. i think as a liscneces rescue you can only have so many. Im sure as horrible as it is, some had to be put down. hopefully there are enough people voluneteering to help her keep up. have you thought about maybe volunteering?

It says they're a no kill rescue. Surely some animals have needed to be put down simply because of health issues and stuff though.

I'm not really interested in volunteering there. It's a ways away from our house and I'm going to be really busy here really soon (student teaching in the fall!), plus I have my own pets to care for and I'm not as much a dog and cat person though I love all animals. Plus, I just don't really like how things are done there. I realize that if someone doesn't like something, they should try to change it, but this isn't my thing. However, Paul and I have talked repeatedly about maybe starting a *small* rabbit rescue a few years down the road. Bunnies are definitely overlooked in this area! There used to be a rabbit rescue up here, but it closed down because the lady who ran it didn't have the time anymore. There was also one down in Anchorage, but it closed as well a couple of years ago. A new one has opened down there recently but I don't know much about it.

There are so few small furry rescues, itd be nice seeing more. I think some rescues deter adopters though so it keeps byb ect in business.
Weve talked about taking in deathrow ect buns, but with murphy and his expenses its an eye opener about the harsh reality. I think if your licsrnced you can claim expenses ob taxes but not sure.

Yeah, bunnies sure can be expensive! We have a good deal of experience with our own buns being sick. I added it up and Tallulah cost something like $2,500 in the 5 months we had her before she died :(

On a happier note, my little Pudgie Wudgie is slowly coming around. The past two times I've gone past his cage, he has hopped over to the door to greet me and then stuck his head out when I opened it and let me pet him without looking scared! I thought it was because he wanted food- and I'm sure it partly was- but I put food in his bowl and he still hung out by the door to get pets for a while before going over to eat his lunch. I'll win you over yet, Padraig!

Ouch..ya im sure people had a hard time understanding why you spent that much. My parents make it sound like pets are the reason were broke!

And congrats on podge! Hes figuring out your the food train!! Lol pidge only wants me when he wants food. Lol. I cant pet him but hell poke and nudge me.

What does everybun think about little podge invading?

Darn! With little Podge, it's definitely 1 step forward and 2 steps back. After he was all curious and friendly, the next time I went over to his cage, he cowered in the back looking like he thought I'd eat him. His cage is in our bedroom and he was chewing on a box during the night. As I mentioned earlier, he's dark and a solid color and hard to see in his cage. I opened the door of his cage and reached in (lights off AND glasses off!) to take out the box and accidentally poked him because he was sitting in front of the box. Scared the bejeezus out of him. Hopefully it didn't hurt and hopefully it wasn't on the face! Sorry little man! He's a little weary of me today now. We will get there though :D

The other buns haven't met him. He's in our bedroom where the others are not allowed. I wash my hands before and after handling him and also have a special Podge shirt I wear. After what happened with Nomi I'm worried about spreading something to my babies so he's kind of in quarantine. He seems healthy so far but I'll probably keep this up for a couple more weeks. They likely know he's here, but haven't met him.

Ive had pidge for over a month so weve had a bit more time, im sure podge will come around, hes had a rough couple weeks. Shelters are rough on animals.

And lol..buns dont sleep in my room. Im a light sleeper and their loud at night :) i can still hear them from the living room though..its amazing how loud cardboard munching is!!

I am bad about qt. With fish and buns. I feel dumb for murphy having contact with sebi. Crossing my fingers i dodged a bullet.

Hows podge on litter training? Murphys a faaaail but pidge is learning slowly

Podge is the perfect little litter box user :) He peed outside the box within 5 minutes of me sticking him in his new cage, but no tinkle accidents other than that. He gets most of the poop in the box, too! I am impressed.

I'm not worried about him learning to love me, I'm sure it will happen. His reluctance is rather endearing. Poor sweetie! It will make things all the nicer when he does love me finally. Rory was a super reluctant bunny too and he's my favorite now! I do feel bad about poking him last night though, sorry Podgie!

I hope Murphy did not give anything to your other buns! It's probably fine. And my concern over Nomi is pretty much silly anyway- we didn't even know there was anything wrong with her until we'd had her 3 months, and 3 months is way longer than a quarantine needs to be. Her cage was still in our bedroom so she was kinda sorta quarantined, but not really since I didn't wash hands between her and the other buns and she had played with Max and Macie on multiple occasions. Just want to be watchful with Padraig even though I think he's fine. Maybe 2 more weeks of me being a worry wart, then he can join everybun else! I did like having Nomi as a bedroom bunny though. Every morning she would wait for me to wake up and would lie down so she could see me. As soon as I sat up, she would hop over and stand up on her back legs so I could pet her :) Very sweet wake up! I miss it and her :(

You will win him over in no time.

Awww, I love my Podgie Bear! He's so wonderful and adorable! I've been calling him my pudgie wudgie choo choo train for some reason :) Weighed him a little while ago and he's 4 lbs 2 oz at 13 weeks. That's TWICE as much as Kerensa, who is our littlest bunny!

Other bunners are doing well. We were gone all day Saturday and Sunday (spending time with Paul's parents who were in town) and I felt bad for being away from the buns so much so they got banana both nights :D This morning the in-laws went home though so I got to spend all day spoiling the buns! Last night I found a green bunny ball in a box and gave it to Rory. It has a bell inside and he spent a good 20 minutes throwing it everywhere! So cute. And Phoebe has been a naughty girl, chewing on the linoleum I put over the NIC panel floor in her cage. She's left that linoleum alone for at least 2 years but decided now she needs to eat it! Tomorrow we are going to Home Depot to have them cut a piece of wood to fit that level of her cage, but in the mean time I'm distracting her with lots of fun chew toys. She's a smart girl and I think she's figured out that I come running when she chews the linoleum! Instant attention! The distracting is working well though :) Oh and yesterday I tripped over a fan and fell on Rory's cage. Rory wasn't bothered by the commotion, but it scared the bejeezus out of Maximus. He ran all over his cage in a panic and I had to leave so he could calm down on his own because it made him more scared when I tried to calm him. I think he thought I'd lost it and was attacking! Thankfully he seemed to forget what happened because a couple minutes later he was more than happy to get pets and he hasn't acted scared at all since :)

My wee man's testicles have descended! Very recently too, I checked him on Monday and there was nothing. Actually, it looks like his scrotum has descended (is that possible?) but they look flat and empty. Hooray, I sexed him correctly! That makes a 100% success rate for me with sexing baby bunnies :D I have successfully sexed 6 baby bunnies :) 3 of those were sexed incorrectly by whoever told me what gender they were, but I peeked and found out the truth!

Latest posts

Back