The Adventures of Mr. Cookie!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we are celebrating today! Because today is Mr. C's big brother Charlies "Gotcha" day! :D

3 years ago in febuary of 2009 my aunt rescued a little pup from my grandmothers nieghborhood. He was running the streets and came to my grams backdoor for food for about 2 weeks. She would feed him some dog food, he would eat so fast that he would throw up and then he would get scared and run off... This would happen everyday! Finally after hearing her go on and on talking about this dog my aunt told her the next time he comes coax him in the house and call her and she would come and get him! A few days went by before he finally showed up... And my aunt was there within an hour and picked him up...

This is what he looked like when she got him... Only 6 lbs very under weight, flea ridden, and very skiddish!

ournewfosterpuppy.jpg

She did her best with him, treated his fleas and spoiled him into beginning to trust people again... However she isn't a very experienced dog person and he was not fully house trained, was intact, was extremely hyper and had absolutely NO manners! What so ever! He had no idea what sit was... Or come... After 8 weeks she was at her wits end with him, and even tho she loved him she couldn't take him any further... And he was destroying her house lol she called me one night asking for advice in shelters... Ad my sweet hubby overheard her and looked at me and said, "why don't we take him, get him fixed... Work with him, train him and then find him a good home? He's never gonna find one the wy he is now... And he's awfully cute, he should have a good one" it was as if he read my mind, I immediately suggested it to her and she was thrilled!!! Se aggreed to keep him until his neuter we scheduled for the following week... And we brought him home after his surgery!

When he came home we had 3 dogs and a bird LOL it was like a zoo around here! The first few weeks were rough! Like really rough! He was estimated to be around 2/3 years old but it was like having a brand new puppy! He chewed everything, peed everywhere and didn't respond to anything vocal! He also bolted any chance he had! We lerned really fast he had to be in.our.arms. Whenever the doors opened! Cuz he would run!
But after a lot of work and abt 6 weeks we knew he wasn't going anywhere, long gone were the thoughts that we would find him a new home, he was home!

And just 8 weeks after he arrived we found out just what an angel he was... On June 24th 2009 my heart pup Jenna, died of sudden onset acute pneumonia... She was fine one night, and by morning was struggling to breathe... We believe she aspirated water in the night while drinking! She was 13 years old. After 36 hours of the vet fighting to save her, we set her free... Se was in my arms as she crossed the bridge... She was my best friend, daughter, sister, and constant companion since I was 13 years old... Her death ws devastating nd still writing this, I'm in tears... But Charlie was sent to comfort me! And I believe Jenna waiting for him to settle in before she left... You see, our other dog Sydney is NOT a snuggly type dog, and Jenna so was! Any time I was upset or sick she refused to leave my side! And Charlie is the biggest snuggle bug ever! In the weeks after Jenna past, he never left my side... He would even refuse to go outside or for a walk because he didn't want to leave me! He was just what I needed, I would have been lost without him in those days!

And in the years since, anytime anything happened... I scoop up my boy and go curl up for a good cry! He likes my tears and snuggled with me as ling as I need him!

He is now fully house trained, knows basic commands and is everyone's favorite! We can not get an invite to anything, holidays, birthday parties, dinners...etc without being asked to bring Charlie! We are so grateful for him and his presence in our lives! I'm so glad he chose us!

Happy gotcha day baby boy! We love you so much!

e1374d1f.jpg

Charlie is on the right :)

Happy Gotacha Day Charlie!

Yes, I truly believe animals know and a rescue knows more! Just amazing bonds from any animal that you bring in from a hard life.

Sounds like an absolute sweetheart! You definitely struck gold with Charlie.

Wishing many more Gotcha Days Charlie!

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
Happy Gotacha Day Charlie!

Yes, I truly believe animals know and a rescue knows more!   Just amazing bonds from any animal that you bring in from a hard life. 

Sounds like an absolute sweetheart!  You definitely struck gold with Charlie. 

Wishing many more Gotcha Days Charlie! 

Thank you K! Nd yes, I have to agree with you... They definitely know what the good life is, nice they have experienced neglect!

So I started emailing different rescues to inquire about any suitable matches for cookie :) I'm really excited, nervous and anxious... But the choice is his! We will introduce him if we find some we think we fit in our family and if he likes then great! And if he's not into it, then that is great too! Whatever our boy wants... :)

BunMommaD wrote:
So I started emailing different rescues to inquire about any suitable matches for cookie :) I'm really excited, nervous and anxious... But the choice is his! We will introduce him if we find some we think we fit in our family and if he likes then great! And if he's not into it, then that is great too! Whatever our boy wants... :)
Hoping Cookie finds a wifey. Good for you for taking it slow and letting him have the lead in this big decision.

I thought I would come here and update a bit...

We are all living in a cloud of fur! Cookie is shedding more than our rough collie used to shed! It.is.crazy. My hubby has taken over most of his care becUse my allergies have just been awful with all the fur flying :( his area has to be vacuumed 2/3 times a day! Is literally FULL! Of hair LOL Andrew has been lint rolling him as many times a day as possible... But one pass of the roller and it's completely full...

So because of all this shedding we had to cancel his date we had set up for this weekend... They had about 6 females to introduce him too... But with all this shedding and his horrid attitude, because I'm sure he is so uncomfortable it just wasn't best to do... We will wait for this to subside and then look again!

Wait... This will subside right?!? Like before he is BALD? I'm surprised every morning that he still has any fur left LOL

And his attitude is out of this world! He hasn't even wanted out of his pen the last 2 days (which secretly is just fine with me! Since the hair is making me so congested and sneezy lol) I miss my happy boy...

In other news my hubby is up for a promotion! Ohhh I want this for him so bad,well and for me too! I wouldn't have to work full time anymore if he got it! Fingers and toes crossed :D

Anyway that's whats happening in our house!

So it's been a while since I've posted... We had to go away unexpectedly to scotland for my husbands grandfathers funeral. We just got back yesterday. It was a lovely trip aside from the funeral of course. We got to see family and friends and visit and relax all of the absolutely breathtaking countryside! We love it there! I SO want to move there one day :)

Anyway, back at home we had our neighbor watch our pets... He has watched our dogs for us many times but this was the first time he watched them and cookie... He's always been very responsible and done a great job, so I felt really confident leaving them in his care. We made sure the fridge was stocked with enough veggies for the 12days we were gone and there was plenty of hay! I also left a 3page instruction list for the dogs and cookie... AND I verbally explained cookies eating schedule as well! So e get home and there is a little note on TOP of my notes saying " I totally forgot abt the veggies for cookie in the fridge, I'm sorry" GAH! I look in the fridge and not one piece had been touched!!!!!!!!! That was like 30$ worth or vegetables!!!!! So I went over to see Mr.C and when we finally came out of his house HE WAS HUGE!!!!!! Like seriously FAT! I immediately weighed him and in like 12 days HE GAIN A WHOLE POUND!!!! Poor thing must have just been eating pellets constantly :( I'm really pissed at this guy! I mean the emergency info was on the same page as the veggie info... If he didn't read it at all, what if something would have happened!?!?! Ugh... Poor cookie ran around the living room last night once and was so out of breath! :( and we gave him some veg this morning and he ate the entire bowl, like he was starving for some fresh food :( I have yet to go over and talk to him, cuz I'm mad! OHHHH he also fed cookie the ENTIRE bag of treat we had! The whole flipping thing! We have had that bag for like 4months! And in a week they are gone! Unbelievable! Argh!

Our little butterball! Lol we've started him on a diet after speaking to the vet and discussing the recent weight gain...

So he is getting his big bowl of veggies every morning, unlimited hay, and his pellets in an activity ball once a day while he's out playing... And we're eliminating his oats for now...

132fd3e7.jpg

771fb6b3.jpg

f1768a23.jpg

Glad you had a safe trip. Here it's beautiful in Scotland. So sorry to hear Mr. Cookie was in the hands of an idiot. He just threw food and treats at Mr. C. Though the weight gain is bad, something else could of happen because Mr. C wasn't on his regular diet.

Poor baby. No wonder he scarfed those veggies down. Wishing his weight loss goes smoothly.

ZRabbits wrote:
Glad you had a safe trip.  Here it's beautiful in Scotland.   So sorry to hear Mr. Cookie was in the hands of an idiot.  He just threw food and treats at Mr. C.   Though the weight gain is bad, something else could of happen because Mr. C wasn't on his regular diet. 

Poor baby.  No wonder he scarfed those veggies down.  Wishing his weight loss goes smoothly.

Thanks, I feel so bad... I really thought he understood and was responsible... Ugh... It makes me wonder about all the other times he's kept our dogs... Maybe they didn't get fed either... And the crazy thing? We called and spoke to him 3 days before we came home to see how they were doing! And he said GREAT! OMG! Unbelievable... *eye roll*

And you are right, I'm glad it was just some weight gain, I'm so relieved he is still eating, peeing and pooping normally...

His definition of "great" clearly is different from yours. I don't know how much you want to day if you EVER want him to take care of your pets again or want to stay neighborly.

Did you have the veggies separated into individual portions? Maybe next time [with any sitter] you could also give them only the amount of treats that you want to be consumed during your trip.

I'm glad Mr Cookie [now Cookie Monster] is back in good hands.

Ohhh Lake, he will NEVER care for them again! EVER! I contacted a few professional pet sitters yesterday. To get someone set up for the next time we need care!

And yes the veggies were portioned out and the treats were put away!I didn't leave any out because he only gets them so rarely, I just preferred he not get any while we were gone.

I will be going over and talking to him on sometime Tuesday evening... And since he still lives with his mom... And she is just the nicest, I'll have the convo in front of her :) he needs to know that if he can't follow directions he needs to just say so instead of saying he will do things he doesn't intend to do. Of course I'll say all that in the nicest way possible ;)

Yes the link worked. Thanks so much for sharing the vid. I too like the way he comes to you when you call him. He is such a sweetie. Just looks so much like my Dobby. It was nice to see Charlie too!

ZRabbits wrote:
Yes the link worked.  Thanks so much for sharing the vid.   I too like the way he comes to you when you call him.  He is such a sweetie.  Just looks so much like my Dobby.  It was nice to see Charlie too!

Thanks, K! :)

And I agree mr.c and dobby do look so much alike :)

Mr. Cookie's favorite place to flop! Halfway up the stairs where he can see the whole living room :) he's definitely the king of the castle :)

e75d0456.jpg

4b9a6e69.jpg

And just a little update... We have decided to put the hunt for a girlfriend of Mr.C on hold for a while... Our life is just very full right now, and we have quite a bit of weekend traveling this summer... Just not the best time to bring in a new pet... W are thinking in the fall, when things calm down, maybe... But right now we are very content Enjoying the fur babies we have :) and spoiling them rotten of course :) it's an awesome feeling to have all your pets get along easily and have everyone be so peaceful! So we aren't ready to "rock the boat" just yet ;)

Latest posts

Back