Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paul2641 wrote:
May an uneducated Irish lad ask what is calf manna?

Calf Manna

It has more protein in it and some breeders use it for flemish giants during their first year or so of growth to help them get larger and/or build bigger/stronger bones.

I used to mix it in with everyone's food (just a little bit) and many of my lionheads had nicer manes because of the extra protein. I know - because when I stopped...their manes didn't do as well. (They really didn't NEED the extra protein and I didn't have a younger flemish around so I wasn't buying it).

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
WOW :shock:Nyx is so big!
Yeah - I saw Athena on the computer the other night trying to order the bunny version of Jenny Craig for her. (I also saw the bruises on Athena's cheeks from Nyx's anger at being called fat). Turns out that they couldn't find my credit card...

(Just kidding about bruises - there were no bruises).

I can't get Nyx to stay still long enough to get an accurate weight...and of course you know why we're hoping she puts on weight this month...

Ok folks - I need help - badly.

Monday is the last day to send in registrations for the state show (must preregister).

I need y'all to nag me tomorrow / today to get this printed up - filled in - and mailed. ASAP.

Please?

Thanks...I'll get Art to help me with my printer once I wake up and clean it off...it can be tempermental.

I'm about to head to bed...my older flemish were born 12/24 and 12/27. Some weigh as much as 3 pounds now I think while others are probably closer to 2 pounds. I'll try to get weights on the smallest and biggest tomorrow.

Now maybe I can get some sleep....entry form is filled out and out in the mailbox with the check, etc.

I listed Mercury, Hermes, Athena, Sophia (in case she isn't pregnant or loses the babies) plus the two new girls that are at Ali's.

I didn't list Nyx because I'm pretty sure there is NO WAY we can tattoo her.

Thanks, I was just wondering because I have a baby flemish at my house right now that is around 8 weeks old and is around 2.50 pounds and wanted to make sure she was the right weight for her age. By the pictures though yours look alot bigger.

I'm guessing you have a "pet quality" flemish giant then - I say that because I'm finding that the ones that are more showable are the biggest and weigh more.

Feel free to post a picture in here if you want - maybe put your flemish next to something like a soda can and I'll do the same with one of mine so we can compare.

yea i can deff. try and do that. She is probably pet quality. She came from a guy who breeds flemishes to eat. She has a condition where her top eyelids fold inword so her eyelashes rub up against the eye and irratate it. He thought she had something wrong with her and gave her to my rescue. Hopefully when full grown we can do surgery on her. I will try tomorrow to get a picture for you.

massie777 wrote:
yea i can deff. try and do that. She is probably pet quality. She came from a guy who breeds flemishes to eat. She has a condition where her top eyelids fold inword so her eyelashes rub up against the eye and irratate it. He thought she had something wrong with her and gave her to my rescue. Hopefully when full grown we can do surgery on her. I will try tomorrow to get a picture for you.
Good luck with her - I think flemish are so special. I don't know if you've ever had the experience of having one in your rescue before - but I think they have such interesting personalities - and they are more dog/cat like than rabbits sometimes. I'm not sure if it is their size or what.

SHOW UPDATE - sorta

Well - in looking at the show schedule on bunnyrabbit.com - I see there is a show next weekend that I think I'm going to go to. It is in Crosby, TX (about 7 hours away one way) and the entry fee per show (double show) - is $3 per rabbit.

I got to thinking about the fact that when the rabbits go to the state show- they have never been shown before. Not only will they have the new experience of being cooped for 2 nights at a show - but they will also have to learn to be on the table, etc.

So I'm going to talk to Art about it (his usual response is "as long as we can afford it") and plan to go to the show next Saturday. I'm SOOOO excited.

I will be taking Hermes, Mercury, Athena and Sophia (even though I do suspect she's pregnant as she's getting huge). I will leave Nyx at home because there is no way that the three of us can tattoo her alone....at least I don't think there is. (It doesn't help that Art will be flying out of town tomorrow and not be back till Friday night).

I may also take a couple of the larger babies (maybe even four or five) and enter them as juniors just to see what the judges say. They're probably way too small to show though...still yet - I'd love to hear comments from other breeders. Maybe I'll just take them and not show them and get them used to the show environment.

Anyway - that is my update for now.

And yes...I will take the camera with me...

Woo Hoo!! Bunny shows...'tis the season ;)

OH...MY...WORD!! Nyx is huge! And gorgeous!:inlove: She is looking so good! Methinks impending motherhood agrees with her.

lol on Art and the bunny nap. Don't we all sleep better with a fluffy animal in our arms? Of course, non-bunny owners have to settle for the stuffed variety.

Crosby/Calamity Jane (CJ)looks likesuch a sweetie. I just want to hug her! :hugsquish:

Does she hold her ears sideways relative to the side she had/has the eye trouble with? (ie, away from it?) Just wondered if that's related. (Maybe she got used to holding them like that when her eye was ouchy?)

I've pulled out the clamp tattoo (YUCK) - and am going to talk to Art about tattooing Nyx this afternoon/evening (so she could be shown too).

Art might consider it since he flies out of town tomorrow and will be out of her sight for a bit...

wabbitmom12 wrote:
Crosby/Calamity Jane (CJ)looks likesuch a sweetie. I just want to hug her! :hugsquish:

Does she hold her ears sideways relative to the side she had/has the eye trouble with? (ie, away from it?) Just wondered if that's related. (Maybe she got used to holding them like that when her eye was ouchy?)
Wow - good question. She holds her ears away from that eye. But she also seems to have hurt her ear - as if the cartilige (spelling) is broken.

I'll try to get a shot of her in a bit - a close up sorta...

TinysMom wrote:
I've pulled out the clamp tattoo (YUCK) - and am going to talk to Art about tattooing Nyx this afternoon/evening (so she could be shown too).

Art might consider it since he flies out of town tomorrow and will be out of her sight for a bit...
LOL, probably a very good idea. I am sure she will be in a snit for quite awhile, just from being held down, much less having an ouch in her ear!

I suckered him into it - now to get a padded room, gloves, and clothing.....and face protection.

Must hurry since he leaves at 8 am in the morning..

Latest posts

Back