Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Welcome to my NEW blog for 2010. Let's hope this year goes better than last year - right?

For those who haven't read my old blog (which can be found here) - I used to breed lionheads and still have some of them as pets - plus I am currently breeding flemish giants - and I currently call the herd "Thundering Thumping Giants" - even though the rabbitry name is "Tiny's Texas Legends" after our first flemish giant, Tiny. The herd is made up of Mercury (light grey buck), Hermes (white buck), Nyx (black doe from wabbitdad12 & wabbitmom12), Athena (light grey doe who will be going to live with Ali/JadeIcing when she retires from breeding and is neutered) and Sophia (light grey doe).

We currently have 15 babies - 11 were born to Athena on 12/24/09 and 6 were born to Sophia on 12/27/09 - we lost two of Sophia's today because her milk never came in and she may have some health issues right now (an infection in her uterus) - so she's getting antibiotics.

Zeus is a flemish giant mix and he is my bedroom bunny - I adore him and he often wakes me up by trimming my hair or snuggling beside me.

Anyway - it is currently 11:58 my time..so I guess I'll close this for now .... and wait for the New Year to start...

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Are you going to keep Sophia after she is spayed or is she going to a pet home?
That is a no-brainer for me - she's staying here.

She and I have really bonded and she and Nyx are practically bonded too.

Well - I'll do some "tales" now and then share some "tails" later after I get some video / photos of the babies.

We lost one more baby - one of Athena's that had gotten hurt. I figured we were going to lose it anyway so I wasn't overly shocked. It still hurts though.

However - the other 14 are looking REALLY good. I'm thinking of breaking them into two litters of 7 (after marking Sophia's babies) and then alternating their feedings since Athena has so much milk. My biggest concern is what to do once the first litter's eyes open and they start to explore. I'm working on ideas though.

Athena is VERY affectionate now - and she even gave me kisses (to try and get me to start petting her again).

Sophia is a bit mopey - BUT - she ate most of her supper last night so that is good.

Nyx is...Nyx. She wants lots of attention and she is so interested in the babies. I really think she'll make a good mama someday (I think she had a good mama too).

I'm really thinking about redoing the Mercury/Athena breeding based upon what I'm seeing (versus a Hermes/Athena breeding). I will know better once the litters have grown more though.

Well - with that said - I'm off to take some photos and videos of the babies...

Happy New Year everyone - hopefully the "tails" part of the blog will come in a few hours when I upload the photos and stuff.

Did you ask the vet about Athena nursing so many babies? If it was Ok, or if it would hurt her down the road? Could she get an infection or anything?

Oh I'm so excited, To be at the start of a new blog by you Peg, I will be reading attentively for all of 2010!

This reminds me span photo's of your own buns and start blog tomorrow Paul!

TinysMom wrote:
Nyx is...Nyx. She wants lots of attention and she is so interested in the babies. I really think she'll make a good mama someday (I think she had a good mama too).
Sorry about the loss of the kits.

Her momma was very good and very loving of her babies.

Dave

:lurker

***just wanted you to know that I am following along through all of the happy and sad moments :):(......
......I'm not supposed to look at baby bunnies (according to MrsD ;)), because then I want them***

:hug:

PS: Anxiously awaiting the tails/tales

I'll try to get the tails in tomorrow/today (just got done playing Eve Online w/ the family - well - Robin and I for the last four hours..)....and I'm exhausted.

Right now - 14 babies are alive and Athena is feeding them although starting tomorrow I may try to supplement their feedings.

One baby has one eye that is opening...I'd tell you to guess the color but since everyone is the same color...ha ha.

Jim - it means a lot to me that you're looking at the pics too...I guess cause we've known each other so long...I don't know.

But I will make a special point of posting pictures sometime on Sunday or Monday....I even have a few of lionheads.

Oh - before I forget....we are currently putting all 14 babies in w/ Athena to nurse....she feeds them - we pull out the six that are the fattest and put the 8 back in her cage till the next feeding. Then we add the two smallest from that back in with the six larger ones from the earlier feeding (when we pulled 8 out)....and she has 8 in her cage again.

Not ideal...but it is working for now. I do think we'll do formula fairly soon though just to help them "catch up" on their growing. But I wanted them to get as much of mama's milk as they could before I messed too much with formula.

We do have one that is injured and I'm concerned about whether or not it will make it - but it is eating. Once it heals up some - I may share pics....

Till then...g'night (I have GOT to go snooze - I didn't even plant Farmville crops and I'm too tired to care right now).

Aw I'm really sorry you lost some of the babies :( Did the ones that got injured get under Mammy's feet or something.

I'm glad you updated, I was starting to worry.

How is Sophia doing?

:pray: I'm Praying for all the bunnies.

Look forward to seeing pic's :)

Just a quick note because I want to go take more pictures and then upload stuff.

Sophia was doing binkies about an hour ago...for about 5 or 6 minutes. I hadn't seen her binky in a while.

She's currently pulling a Nyx trick and eating while sitting in the food container...if I can put new batteries in the camera in time - I'll get pictures.

Here are a few from earlier today - still uploading a bunch more pictures though...

[align=center]
IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

[/align]