Taken on a new Bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Thanks!

Well, we went back to the vet today, and the news isn't good, I'm afraid :(

George was less 'gassy' so Dr Steele could feel her better, and found she has a lump in her abdomen - about golf ball size - which we fear is a tumor. She said this is probably causing the runny poops by pressing on something.

We discussed our options. As George is an older rabbit (and she could be older than her 6 years), we don't feel surgery is much of an option, especially as if it's a tumor, Dr Steele says it's likely to return. We could do x-rays and blood tests, but that wouldn't leave us much further forward, as, again, it brings us back to surgery. So we have decided that, for the minute anyways, we shall let George have a good quality of life. She isn't in any pain at all, (she only felt discomfort when Dr Steel pressed on it), she's lively, enjoys her food and her playtime, and she has a friend in Shadow.

While she is feeling so good, I would rather she enjoy life, than put her through a risky surgery (where she may not recover from the anaesthetic), and most likely not be much better after it. Of course, if she starts to be unwell, then that changes things. We are going back in a month to see how the lump has progressed , and to keep a check on her.

I am so sad for George, but I want her to be happy. Do you think I'm doing the right thing? It's so hard when I don't really know her yet, but I want her to at least be able to enjoy some of her life. Any advice welcome!

Jan

Jan, I totally know what you are going through.

We discovered a lump inButtercup's abdomen in January. Like George it doesn't seem to bother him. The Vet said we could also do exploratory surgery on him. After what he went through last fall when he had the fluid removed from his abdomen we decided against it. Gosh he almost died then.

He lives a very good life now, I spoil him rotten. When Chris brought him to the Vet on Monday he said it hasn't gotten any bigger.

Unfortunately because of Buttercup's age I realise his time is probably numbered but I will not have him suffer through a surgery. I (we) will know when the time is right to have to make that very hard decision.

I totally agree with what you are doing, it really seems like George has the best Mommie and Daddy that will take very good care of her.

Susan:pray:

Oh Jan...my heart hurts for you. If you need a friend, let me know...I'm a good shoulder to cry on, and a great ear for listening. You just let me know, ok?

My love to you guys,

Rosie*

P.S. I very truly think you are doing the right thing. Call me if you need me, ok?

I am so glad you rescued this little girl! Now she gets live the good life with her newly found slave! :D

Hope all is well on the next vet visit.

Is it possible that it is just a fatty tumor? I mean, all of the dogs that grew older in my family got large, benign tumors on/in them. Most of my hamsters that made it past the 2 year mark did the same.

I think you are doing the right thing. If she's not in pain, don't "worry" about it. Just monitor it and see where it takes you. Think about it, she already has had a longer life than she was supposed to be having. Any days after the day when she was supposed to be pts are a blessing. Good luck, little Georgie! :)

LuvaBun wrote:
George was less 'gassy' so Dr Steele could feel her better, and found she has a lump in her abdomen - about golf ball size - which we fear is a tumor.
Oh I'm sorry to hear George has a tumor. I am glad you are able to let her have a quality of life, instead of stressing her more by having surgery. You already know her, when she gives you bunny kisses, attitude, and when she binkies in the room, that sheappreciates the second chance for life when you brought her home.

She is indeed a very lucky bunny, to survive theordeal of her previous owners, the brief and fateful encounter at the shelter, and to find you andShadow to be loved.

SOOOSKA wrote:
George has the best Mommie and Daddy that will take very good care of her.

Here is George sizing up her new prospects. (Seeing if they would be good parents for her) :biggrin2:

It is June 6, when Jan and John, came in tospend time withGeorge, and to give Shadow a chance for a bunny date.

This is one of the cuddle rooms at the new Edmonton Humane Society.

sav2c2.jpg

19r9i.jpg

I'm sorry, this picture made me giggle a little. It's like you're saying, "You two WILL cuddle!" It's just how bunnies "pancake" out while being petted... Sorry if I have an odd sense of humor... :D They are adorable together. George is so lucky to have a husbun like Shadow.

19r9i.jpg

Oh Jan, I'm so sorry to hear about George's lump.:(I definitely do think you are making the right decision though. Like you I would worry about her age and going under anesthetic (I remember when I fought with my vets over surgery when they wanted to amputateMillie's toe due to her abscess), so I fully think you are doing the right thing there.

Hopefully George will continue to live on for quite some time, but whatever the outcome she is very lucky to have found a wonderful home with you and John. I'd hate to think of what would have happened if you hadn't taken her on.:(

How are you feeling about all this Jan? If you ever want to chat you know where I am!:hug:

Thank you for all your support - it really means a lot.

Susan, I was thinking about Buttercup and remembering how the treatment of one problem caused another. Dr Steele and I both think that surgery could create more problems than it solves.

Rosie, thanks so much for that, and the pm. We will definately have to meet up soon :)

Kelly, I am hoping that you could be right, but I guess we will see at the next vet visit, if it has grown any. And your comments about her having extra days made me feel better :hug:

Thanks Jess. I'm not sure how I feel really. I am so sad for her, and wish that her poopy butt was caused by something else. She has actually been pretty bad the past two days, and has needed cleaning up. The vet said it didn't really matter what i gave her to eat (within reason) as it probably wouldn't make much difference to her soft poop, and it would be nice for her to have some tasty things to enjoy.

Shadow is being such a good boy - I'm so proud of him. Perhaps he can 'sense' something isn't quite right.

Stan, thanks for posting those photos.

Stan called around the other day, and George showed her appreciation to him for everything, by showering him with kisses :)

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Stan called around the other day, and George showed her appreciation to him for everything, by showering him with kisses :)
I wonder if she remembers him? I wouldn't be surprised...and she was probably like, "OH!! I get to see you still! YAY!" :D

maherwoman wrote:
LuvaBun wrote:
Stan came around the other day,
...and she was probably like, "OH!! I get to see you still! YAY!" :D

Here are the pictures from that day...

14ac2dj.jpg

George loved to run around in the room, and she can be hard to catch if she didn't want to be caught.
However, she melted when I petted her and she would kiss my hand.

bdwh3c.jpg

This is her favorite spot under an open box.

2youxqs.jpg

Latest posts

Back