Taken on a new Bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, for those who were following the Edmonton Humane Society posts in the Rescue Me forum, I guess I should end the suspense and tell you that I adopted a bunny from there last Saturday.

The story started on 23rd May. John and I had taken a semi-feral cat we'd trapped to the Humane Society (long story, but we have 8 cats to trap). While we were there a man brought his rabbit in to rehome, as she wasn't getting along with his other rabbit. She was a 6 year old spayed female that he'd adopted from there last October. Her name was George.

I mentioned her to Stan (Pet_Bunny) as he volunteers there, and he looked out for her and took her to have exercise. Then, last Thursday, he phoned me and said that George was going to be euthanised. She had had a problem with poopy but, which wasn't healing quickly, and what with her age, and the fact that nearly 300 rabbits had come in from one house, they didn't think she would get adopted. He told them that John and I may be interested, and she got an extra few days (Stan saved her life).

On Friday, we caught another cat, and while we were at the Humane Society John went tol check on George. She was back up for adoption for a few days, so we decided to take Shadow the next day to see if they got along. Stan and his lovely wife were there, and Shadow and George seemed to get on really well. So, after filling in all the forms and a long wait (lots were adopting) George came home with us.

The reason I've been so long in letting you know is .... it's been hard! Shadow scared George by chasing her (not aggressively), so she spent a lot of the first day in a box in the room (she has 1/3 of the room with Shadow). And, she has terrible poopy butt problems. She isn't litter trained at all, so poops and pees wherever she is and lays in it. She is overweight, which makes the problem even worse, and I seem to be spending a lot of time cleaning her, the carpet etc.

Yesterday, we took SHadow and George into the basement, and they got along great. And, just when I wondered if I'd done the right thing, George binkied!!! (well, as much as a chubby bunny can binky ;)). And, she did a lot of running around, so I,m hoping the weight will come off. She isn't getting any treats, but will only eat alfalfa pellets (she refuses timothy pellets), and she nibbles a little hay.

If anyone has any advice/tips on a geriatric bunny care, or any way I can help her, I'd appreciate it. I am taking her to my vet on Thursday, and see if she has any other problems going on. But, I couldn't just let her be euthanised without giving her a chance.

I haven't got any photos yet, but Stan has some he may post.

Jan

Congratulations Jan! You now have a baby girl! ;)

George is so lucky to have you as her new mommy. I didn't want to make any announcements until Jan was ready.Poor Jan had to make some very hard decisions. She was overwhelmed with the new bunny, and she felt bad that her other two got less time to spend with her.

I am going to give a time line on the story of George at the Shelter. (will do it tomorrow, as I have to go to sleep now).

On May 23, I didn't see the person whosurrendered George to the shelter. But Jan told me she saw a beautiful bunny being brought in. After Jan and John left, Georgewas placed into the holding area where she would be processed before she would be put out for adoption.

a1sp00.jpg

Here is the cages where George was held for observations. Animals in those cages are not available for adoption yet.

jrtx5w.jpg

This is her profile sheet.

vepumh.jpg

Thisis George when I first saw her. And she gave me licks when I petted her.

Aww congratulations. I'm glad you decided to give her a chance, and thanks Stan for saving her life. I'm sure with your great care she'll lose weight and get healthier. I'd imagine that being a healthier weight and changing her diet could help with the poop problems?

YAYY!!!! WOOHOO!!!

As I think I mentioned before, when we went over to the shelter, to check it out and see the buns' quarters, etc., I saw beautiful George...and talked to her through the glass a bit. I don't know if she heard me, but I let her know I knew she would get a wonderful home soon, and not to worry but that I thought I knew the home she'd end up living in...and that the lady that would be her mommy was wonderful. :)

I let her know that I wished I could take her home...but that an even better home was in store for her. And I let her know I would kiss and pet her if I could.

I'm SO HAPPY that she's with you, Jan! I know she's happy her dreams came true with going home with you. I'm so happy to hear she's BINKIED!! WONDERFUL!!

Hugs to you and your new girl, as well as Shadow...

Rosie & the Buns*

Jan,that's just wonderful...i'm so very happy for George cause she couldn't have found a better mum...and a loving family.

And what a pretty little girl she is!

George is adorable! She's so lucky to have you as a bunny mom! :biggrin2: She even has shown her appreciation & happiness with that little, "blubbery" binky! Hopefully her weight will decrease as she gets used to the timothy pellets. Congrats on the new edition! Give all of your fur-babies some nose rubs for me! :D

Have you tried a different brand of timothy pellet? My Toby will only eat certain brands (it took me forever to switch him from Sunseed to Oxbow). Good luck with the food switcheroo! :)

YAH! Jan to the rescue again. George is Beautiful.

I really hope she will bond with Shadow. Their is nothing better than seeing 2 bonded bunnies as you know Jan.

Are you going to keep her name? You could always call her Georgie.

I look forward to more pictures of the your new Beautie.

Susan :)

Yay! I read about George in Rosie's LYHD thread and I'm SO glad you've got her!

She's absolutely gorgeous.... her and Shadow will make such a pretty couple.

Congrats and hugs to you and Stan for saving her life!

:highfive:

Congrats on your new girl!!!!!!!! And WTG Stan for getting her a few more days!!!!

I hope that she gets rid of her poopy but and gets "normal" for ya soon

cheryl wrote:
And what a pretty little girl she is!

I was drawn to her too as she has all the features of my Pebbles in a larger version. :D

May 26, Tuesday, George is placed in the window ready for adoption.

2wh031f.jpg

That was her toy, when she first came in.

104mgoz.jpg

f9o60j.jpg

2r3kocp.jpg

mouse_chalk wrote:
Yay! I read about George in Rosie's LYHD thread and I'm SO glad you've got her!
She's absolutely gorgeous....

May 30, Saturday.

It was the Grand Opening at the Shelter. There was so many people there and it was so busy. I had so many bunnies to feed that I didn't have time to take pictures. :( Later I took George into the Critter Cuddle Room for her run. That is when I noticed herVulva/ Scent Gland area was irritated. When her play time was over, I brought George back to her cage, and the staff was looking for her. They told me, "There's a lady who wants to see George". I told my wife and the staff, "I bet you that is Jan!" :D And sure enough John and Jan had come to the shelter. I brought them into the back tovisit withGeorge. That is when I showed them the infected bottom, andnotified the Vet to check her out.

irishbunny wrote:
Aww you have a cutie agouti!
Welcome to the club, they are the best ;)
I like that,"Cutie Agouti!" :D

May 31, Sunday.

George is taken off the adoption website. I was wondering who had adopted George. But the Vet had placed her back in the holding cages. George was very matted, inflamed andhad several sores around the genitals.

June 1, Monday, George was shaved and cleaned with hibitaine. Still red and swollen.

June 2, Tuesday, Back end slightly improved, will recheck on Thursday.

Aww, thanks so much for the lovely comments. It means so much to me to know others are thinking about us :). Like Stan said, it was a hard decision as I wasn't really looking for another rabbit. Having said that, I don't regret it for a minute.

I am pleased to announce that today was the 2nd day that George has been poopy-butt free. Although she still poops and pees where she likes, she hasn't been covered in poop, and her bum/stomach are looking so much better. We went to the vet today for a check over, and she has already lost weight - from 2.94 kg on Saturday to 2.7 kg today. Amazing what some exercise can do :). Her heart/teeth/ears/eyes etc are all good, but her abdomen was uncomfortable when Dr Steele checked it. She said it could be her body just adjusting to more fibre, or something more serious going on. She said it felt like her intestines were thickened, which could indicate some sort of growth, or problems caused by fatty liver :(. She said to go back next week and see if things have improved. If not then we may go for blood work or x-rays.

George behaved wonderfully (apart from peeing on Dr Steele, who just said 'well, her bladder is just fine":p) the vet techs that know Shadow came to see her, as she is Shadow's girl friend;). And ... there was no charge for the exam, as they classed it as a Humane Society exam, which, apparently, there's no charge for :).

Other good news - she and Shadow are getting along great! Shadow is being such a gentleman, and george is getting more confident. This morning I was petting both of them, and she started to groom Shadow :). The look of bliss on his face was just fantastic!

So things are going OK. Shiloh, I was going to call her Georgia, but she knows her name is George, so we'll see. And Gracie, I love the Cutie Agouti :)

Jan

Latest posts

Back